petsmart gah!!!!!!!!!

Taku
What the heck is Petsmart's problems now a days? I went on a trip to Xenia Ohio over the weekend to deliver some fish and supplies. I spotted a petsmart and decided to check out what there care sheets looked like for ideas on making my own.
I asked the clerk where they were and they said we do not stock them anymore. I asked her how someone who bought a new fish knew what to do. He reply, "As long as they have a tank and water the only thing left is to feed them". Then it was on. We had about a 15 minute argument over heaters, filters, food, ETC.
Finally she told me that I did not know what I was talking about and I stormed her manager. Her manager informed me she has worked in the fish department for 2 weeks. I asked him what sort of training they gave her, to which his response was, "Buddy, they are just fish." On my way out I made sure to knock over a large display of airhoses. The manager said that he would now have to get someone to clean all that up. I said, "Hey buddy, what's the big deal? Your workers are just humans." and left.

What is your expierence with petsmart and their workers?

Lucy
;D I like to ask them questions and then correct them. lol

Knocking stuff over isn't the way for them to take you serious.

KyWildFish
;D I like to ask them questions and then correct them. lol

Knocking stuff over isn't the way for them to take you serious.

I agree with the second part and disagree with the first. Most of the kids working there aren't at fault for the way the business is run, so making the Manager's life difficult is a better strategy >, be creative.

As for the correcting them. A better way is sharing knowledge passively. Most of them haven't been trained correctly and they should welcome knowledge. What I would do is ask them a question then speak about experience. For example:

"What would I need for a basic set up?" you would say.

"Just a tank and some food, that's all they really need" they will answer.

"Well actually, I was talking about one of these bundles over here, but from my experience fish need a lot more than just water, a home, and food. Ive done this for years and different species have very different needs. Most importantly they need a cycled tank and a freindly environment, these cups aren't very friendly for bettas for example. You could be selling a lot more stuff if you knew what each fish needs, that and knowing a lot about them will make selling them to new customers a lot easier." You say with a playful attitude.

This will either fall on deaf ears or make them wonder and maybe ask questions. I would hope people working at a pet store would care even a little about animals to ask more questions. I worked retail for years and know-it-all customers killed me. They aren't there as a career, so treat them with respect. Remember, PetSmart/Petco are the problem not the poor kids working there.

Lucy
As for the correcting them. A better way is sharing knowledge passively. Most of them haven't been trained correctly and they should welcome knowledge. What I would do is ask them a question then speak about experience.

Sharing knowledge passively after recieving the wrong info is correcting them.
I guess my post sounded harsh, sorry.

KyWildFish
That's cool Lucy. You just brought back bad memories working in a retail environment....::shudder::

Lucy
Ha, I'm a salesperson's worst nightmare when things aren't done correctly.

Oh, that sounded mean. I'm polite and patient, everyone makes mistakes but if I start getting excuses and the run around, then look out.

Edit: Had to clarify

KyWildFish
Ive learned that you catch more flys with honey than vinegar.

Lucy
Yea, geez, That sounded mean. I edited my post.

Dark_Rider2k3
I at one point in time thought about working for a Petco.. but in all honesty, our employees at our pet stores are fairly knowledgeable.. sure they aren't nearly as good as here, and sure they probably give some bad info, but from the time i've been there, it's been nothing but good.. they even ask about what size tank we got and what we have in the tank before they sell the fish...

though, most of them think to cycle you need a hardy fish lol.. they don't do fish-less cycling =/

sirdarksol
I am patient with salespeople if the issue is just that they haven't been given proper training.

If, on the other hand, they're being deliberately belligerent or obstinate, I'll just get their name, walk out of the store, and write the manager a letter, explaining why the store lost a sale that day. If the manager responds to me like Petco did ("Your opinion in this matter is wrong and doesn't matter to us,") they get another letter explaining why the store/chain (depending on the level that responded to me) will never get my business again.

Unfortunately, many of the employees at Petsmart/Petco very quickly reach the belligerent/obstinate stage when confronted with their own lack of knowledge. Somehow, they believe that bagging fish for a month makes the fish experts. There is no reasoning with them (which is why I try reasoning with their managers).

Jillanne
A friend of mine opened his own fish store because the management was more interested in the bottom line then in fish care. I do know a number of people in the various stores in my area. There are only one or two people in each of these stores that really cares about the fish. I think that makes a big difference in the service and knowledge. Someone that is just there for the cash just doesn't care and no matter what you say, they will not change.

No matter what kind of store, bad attitudes and service makes me someone else's customer.

Trio123
Customer 1: Comes in and asks for a common pleco for their goldfish bowl. I tell them that is not an appropriate home for a pleco and that their goldfish really needs a larger home and filtration too. I show them an appropriate tank and they explain, "that is way too much money, a 10 cent goldfish doesn't need that!". There's no reasoning with a customer like that... and you can't talk to their manager.

Customer 2: Comes in after buying an oscar last week that I warned would eat all their little tetras, but they insisted that they had done this before and it was fine... what do I know, I'm just a silly little girl. First thing they say, "I need some more fish the oscar ate them all". They ask for small ones again and I said, these will get eaten too! They respond that the oscar was gone, they killed it before it ate all the fish... idiots... I wanted to scream and kick them out of the store but I can't just do that. Boss told me afterward not to sell them anymore fish Good

Point, their on both sides of the counter, but I have more sympathy for the one trying to pay the bills at a little over minimum wage. But that is not an excuse, they should definitely not be blatenly rude and management needs to better train their employees. But don't knock over their displays, usually it's the nice person who didnt have anything to do with the arguement that will get stuck cleaning it up

sirdarksol
I agree that the neutral third party is usually the one hurt by this kind of thing.
And I have as little tolerance for rude/stupid customers as I do for rude employees. If a customer blows up without reason (the employee has been polite, as knowledgeable as can be expected, etc...), I will defend the employee.

KyWildFish
Basically it comes down to basic human kindness here. We all want to be happy and some people just aren't when they hear they are wrong. We all need to step back at times and question where we got our info from in the first place before taking a stand for it. This is a hard concept to teach someone working a soul-less job or that person who just doesn't care in the first place.

Yesterday I was at Chipotle (great tex-mex place) and some woman behind me asked for a "pulled pork sandwich." I laughed then listened to the kid behind the counter say what I would have. "we are a mexican restaurant mam, we have burritos." Her response to this sage advise (clearly without thinking at all) "Well then give me a pulled pork chicken." I laughed out loud at the stupid comment. So its safe to say stupid is everywhere, and as long as I am not involved its pretty funny.

krazykid933
Petsmart is always better than Wal-Mart!

angelfish220
Really, Just about any time My mom goes to walmart I tag along and campout at the fish area and just inform people. Not mean or anything, just passive like. I've talked to atleast 25 different customers and I always feel a little better because that's better than the walmart employee that just bags them. I've gotten strange looks from so many walmart employees just standing there though. I think that they think that I want their job.

Jillanne
good for you angelfish

I used to do the same thing at Petsmart

Devon
I have found that unless the salesperson you're talking to is a real high-and-mighty jerk who considers themselves an expert and you just a "dumb customer" (and there are those, too!) you will get far with being friendly and not overbearing. I have gotten to points in conversations with pet store workers that started asking me for information on this or that fish, just because I mentioned an interesting fact or tidbit that I knew they hadn't heard of yet, then sit back and let their curiosity lead them to enlightenment. Last week, a worker in the aquatics department of Petco stopped mid-conversation with me, gave me a sheepish look and said, "Sorry to be asking all these questions, I realize I'm the one that works here..." -

Dark_Rider2k3
you know i'd love to start up my own fish shop!

I need to get some people to start one up with me

Trio123
you know i'd love to start up my own fish shop!

I need to get some people to start one up with me

finding the customer people is the hard part

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cn1561
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
russ757