Petsmart Fish & Plants

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am curious to others opinions about buying fish or plants at Petsmart. Has anyone had any luck with fish bought there? I had 4 Mollies, but I also had many problems with my tank at the time and they didn't make it through.

The Petsmart here carries more, different breeds of fish I like than the LFS, but the workers don't sound to keen on fish care. I know this because I worked at Petsmart for about four months in high school (before I kept fish,) as well as recent trips there.

Also, they sell some plants in these maybe 4-6 ounce containers and the plants look healthy, but I've never bought any. Has anyone tried these plants before? Any luck with them?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of the plants you'll find at chain stores are not even aquatic. The employees will try to tell you otherwise, but they're wrong, lol. Sometimes you can get java fern, anubias, and maybe even some crypts there. If you're unsure of which plants are aquatic, it may help you to either bring along a list, or to write down the names of plants you like and then go home to Google them before you buy.

Even before the new fishroom/business (and being in competition with chain stores), I had given up on any chance of long term health from chain store fish. Even fish that are supposed to be really easy to keep will look great for a few months (if that) and then just die. Ok, be warned, I'm going to step up on my soapbox now...

If you know of a locally owned shop that you like, please consider shopping there instead. If hobbyists can't support local business, then soon all that will be left is the chain stores. Stepping down now.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Harpua, I was on a soapbox earlier today...I see you borrowed it for this thread. just teasing...

michael68

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have had luck with some of the sword plants and anubias that were truly aquatic,I still have them and they are doing great.Some of the plants that look like terrestrial plants or house plants never grew so i took them out of the tank,Do your research.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree 100% harpua about shopping at the small shop, but I have had problems there too. I don't know much about aquarium plants, but have seen the big sales Petsmart have on their plants and was curious. And the plants at the small shop, I've seen dead bushes look better.

The LFS I go to, I've asked them to order me certain fish and they won't do it. Even Convict Chilids or Black Veiled Angelfish, they don't carry and tell me they get "only bulk orders." Even though on their website it says otherwise.

Basically, buying fish or plants in my area seems hit or miss. You may win some, you lose some.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Last time I was in a chain pet store I went home and found out none of their 'aquarium plants' were aquatic. The person who I got my tank from included some of these plants too. I took them out when I researched and realized. lol I wouldn't say you can never get a good buy from a chain pet store though because I'm just not even half way qualified to make that assessment. Also, I don't want to steal your thread but harpua I wonder if the same goes for like the glofish? think they would die after a while too if purchased from a chain just curious? so far Iv purchased pretty much everything from non-chain stores it just worked out that way lol

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yikes! I've seen plenty of bad LFS's too. That's why I suggested supporting one that you actually like, lol!

I have lots of plants and some fish ready to go right now if the shipping doesn't scare you off. Mine are actually aquatic... LOLOL

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You have Mollies, Swordtails, or Guppies?

It's just frustrating because I am learning so much from these forums and then I go into these shops and ask questions and I feel like I know more than the workers. And I've only been here a couple months!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope, but several other species of really nice community fish. And did I mention AQUATIC plants? ROFL

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plants, I will hold off on for now.

Fish I want.

But I will wait.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've seen some of the fish that harpua offers and they're not the typical varieties you find in stores. I wish I had joined this site before I started stocking my tank. I would have a completely different stock list because I just purchased fish from my LFS (which still has a much better variety than the local chains) but after seeing some of the fish that other members here are selling, I realized there are a LOT more options than the common varieties I'm used to seeing.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm very lucky. I have two excellent LFS within driving distance of my home. One of them is owned by a fellow Fishlorian and her husband. I've had so much trouble with Petsmart and Petco fish, I get mine through hobbyists, friends, and those two stores only.

In regards to plants, I get them from fellow fishkeepers only because I have very little plant knowledge.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, if I ever change my tank to live plants, I am only going to buy from members here. I've just lost my trust for either of the fish stores here.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wandered through two of the chain stores here in town and left both of them rather depressed... the sick fish in the tanks and just various other things adding up. I'm going to have to keep looking around for some good local non-chain stores in my area...

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the long run, it doesn't matter whether or not we have pleasant experiences at our local Petsmart or the other chains. Each chain store is operated differently. Some have knowledgeable staff (the minority), some don't (the majority).

I'm afraid our opinions of the chain stores in our own neighborhood simply won't help you with the quality of the fish/plants that your own store sells. I have found that two Petcos within a 20 mile radius are run completely opposite of each other.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is a chain store near me where the girl who is always in the fish dept is very knowledgable and looks after the tanks well. I guess I am lucky. I've had good results with fish I have gotten from her. By choice I patronise non chain stores but sometimes it is just convenient.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will never ever buy fish from Petsmart ever again. I was totally new to the hobby and the employee told me I could put 2 angelfish, 4 guppies and a pleco in a 10 gallon tank. Now I know that anybody who knows anything about fish keeping would have slapped that girl upside the head, had she told them the same thing. On top of that, one of the fish they sold me was infected with camallanus worms and ended up passing it on to some of my other fish, one of whom died from them. I went shopping on Saturday for a new 29 gallon starter kit and I looked at all the fish at Petsmart, Petco, and two small local stores, Pet Kingdom and Fountain's Aquarium. All the fish at Petsmart looked absolutely miserable. The fish at Petco seemed a little bit happier but didn't really look much better. All the fish at the small local stores looked fantastic. They had plenty of variable sizes for their display tanks and larger fish were in larger tanks and in smaller numbers. At Pet Kingdom, there was a guy who was doing gravel vacs right there in the middle of a busy Saturday afternoon and the tanks looked sparkling clean. I will definitely be visiting them when I add some tank mates to my 29 gallon.

Petsmart also told me that guppies should be kept with 3 males to every female...why? I couldn't tell ya. Seems to me that if you did that, the poor female would likely be harassed to death. I've always thought you are supposed to keep more females than males so as to eliminate some of the competition and aggression between males.

Basically, they don't seem to know squat about fishkeeping. They have pretty good prices on supplies but I will never buy fish from them again.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i bought some of those plants that are in the plastic tubes. after a few months of them not really doing a whole lot, I looked it up and realized that they were a swamp/bog type plant, so since then they've been outside on my porch in pots (and are thriving lol)

From what I can tell at my local petsmart, the quality of the fish section depends entirely on the management and workers there. There are at least 2 women who work there that are serious animal lovers and keep things tip top, they gave basic advice but nothing really in depth, but then again how many of your average LFS shoppers really want to hear a 10 minute dissertation on the nitrogen cycle? (besides me)

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you shop around online at places like Foster and Smith or Big Al's, IMO you'll find that the chain store prices on supplies are actually really bad a lot of the time.

I'm glad to hear you'll be doing business in the future at the Pet Kingdom. It's nice when you see employees actually caring for fish!

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It definitely is I really like Fountain's Aquarium as well but it's twice as far away. They had my 29 gallon starter kit for $119! That was the best price I found in store or online. I will definitely be visiting them again but probably not regularly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom