Petsmart Employee Turned Hobbyist

1. realsheeps

realsheeps New Member Member

Heyyy.
    So I started working at a Petsmart in mid-August of 2016 (my first job), and since then, I've learned all kinds of information about fish that I've used to create two tanks of my own, and they're both doing well. I work under a marine biologist who's very dedicated to her job, and my other coworker is hard-working and eager to learn and teach, so it's a pretty fruitful environment.
    I started out this whole fish adventure with a betta in a cheap 2.5g tank with no filter (impulse buy, I know, shame shame), and I got sick of the maintenance on that real quick, so I upgraded to a 5 gallon with a filter. It's not as cool as some of the betta tanks I've seen on here, but definitely an improvement. Since moving up, I haven't had a single problem with tank chemistry or betta behaviour.
    Afterwards, my addiction took hold when I was gifted a junk tank from the store. It was a return that was in unsalable condition (which meant "give it a good vinegar and it'll be ready to go"), so I fixed it up and stocked it appropriately and we're a beautiful and shiny semi-aggressive community now.

Anyway, I'm excited about this site and I'd like to learn what I can from you guys, to both further my hobby and be able to educate customers when I can. Nice to meet you all. :)

2. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Welcome! Glad that you joined us! :) It's always good to meet a fellow fish addict. :p

3. OP
    OP
    realsheeps

Thanks! I think I get it from my dad, lol. He's had very successful saltwater and reef tanks in the past, including a massive 300g one that took up an entire room. I hope I don't become that... Maybe...

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Quite a few of us started with retail, or at least got into that domain at various points in our working and fishkeeping lives. You're lucky to be in with a good crew.

5. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I would love to hear stories about how you came to work for Petsmart and the business side of it as well as what do you tell first timers who fall into this hobby. Does the company tell you to say nothing or do they want you to educate customers about this?

I think it be a great Q&A session on this website.

7. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Glad to have another hobbyist.

8. OP
    OP
    realsheeps

I think that sounds interesting as well. I'll consider making a thread! :)

As far as your question here, they encourage us to educate as much as we can, and discourage the spread of false information. For instance, we're actually taught the "one inch of fish per gallon" rule during our training, but we don't get in trouble if we have better, more knowledgeable information. I personally love dumping all my knowledge and tips and tricks on people that are willing to listen.

They give us the baseline business-related fish information (i.e. "these are the fish we sell, these are the aquariums we have available"), but beyond that, we're largely left to our own devices.

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Nice to see a knowledgeable chain store employee on here. Not too many out there. Welcome.

10. Kailyn

Kailyn Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

11. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome

12. RuralGuppykeeper

RuralGuppykeeper New Member Member

Welcome!

13. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Welcome aboard!

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

15. s

stratozyck New Member Member

I'm an addict that started out with a 29G 6 years ago and the last fish from that one died this past month :-(
    Now, I have like 7 tanks.

16. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Welcome, only been here for a short time, still just getting my feet wet. :;bananawater Your gonna love it here.