Petsmart Betta

Terrormissu

Reaction score
01605213-03D5-4EF2-9926-4EE2C5F0D1C5.jpeg Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 2.5 quarantine
How long has the tank been running? Just put it up when I got the fish, used filter media and water from filtered tank
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? One betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week (unless parameters go wonky)
How much of the water do you change? 25/30%
What do you use to treat your water?
Topfin dechlorinator
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both, usually vacuum every second week unless it looks visibly guncky

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, used cycled media and water though
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0.25ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH:0ppm

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? ~5 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon betta pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? On occasion frozen bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 4 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Upon purchase
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Red sore on chin, seemed to heal then started growing cotton-like fuzz
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, originally bettafix (nothing else available, seemed to help with the open sore looking thing.) When the cotton growth started switched to jungle lifeguard, one day into treatment
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Yes, thought he was dead, had reddened gills, extremely pale and a huge open swollen sore on chin
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He perked up the morning after I brought him home, and ate that night. Still super active and eats well.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I tagged along into petsmart to grab supplies, stoped at the betta section and found a seemingly dead fish in the back. I picked up the cup to let staff know and he flopped around a bit, so I took him home to give him at least a chance at life.
He had a big open sore on his chin, it was very red. He had redness around his gills. Extremely pale too, I can see all his organs. At home he peeked up after a night in clean water. I initially treated him with bettafix (he seemed to be breathing well and there wasn't anything else available immediately to me.). The redness faded in a day or two, then white 'hairs' started appearing on his wound. They kept growing, and a cotton-y growth covered his wound now. I'll attach pics! I'm not sure what it is exactly, he's on lifeguard jungle now with some left over bettafix in his tank. I had to remove the carbon filter but I'm keeping a close eye on his water parameters. I'm looking for advice on how to best treat the problem, and what it might be!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like your on the right path to giving this guy a better life. Could be a combination of ammonia due to their lack of WC's and maybe him darting around that sad little bowl they have to sit in maybe he busted himself up a bit from others tapping on their cup... hope he has a full recovery.. great looking betta!!

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Looks like he has a bit of fin rot along with whatever kind of infection on his chin. Do you know your ammonia reading for the water? That will be super important to helping him recover. Clean water is first priority, medication 2nd.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Noble work there ! Higly admirable! Keep going an may I suggest a catappa leaf, and most importantly, API's Erythromycin to help speed up the fish's healing process...

Terrormissu

Reaction score
Looks like he has a bit of fin rot along with whatever kind of infection on his chin. Do you know your ammonia reading for the water? That will be super important to helping him recover. Clean water is first priority, medication 2nd.
I think the darkness on his fins is just his colouring actually, his flippers look to be in surprisingly good shape! And yeah, it's 0.25ppm, not ideal though the medication says not to have a filter or change the water for a week which is putting me on edge. I'll keep an eye on it and give him water changes when it gets worse

Terrormissu

Reaction score
Looks like your on the right path to giving this guy a better life. Could be a combination of ammonia due to their lack of WC's and maybe him darting around that sad little bowl they have to sit in maybe he busted himself up a bit from others tapping on their cup... hope he has a full recovery.. great looking betta!!
I'll definitely keep his water clean! Those death cups are terrible :/ I bet he'll be a beauty when he recovers!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom