Petrified Wood for Decor? Help me make up my mind!

poeticinjustices

Well Known
Hey all! It's a post where I'm not freaking out about something being wrong with my fish...who'd a-thunk it? Don't worry, I've still got stuff to freak out about. But that's posted in another forum So pigs haven't flown yet.

Anyway, I'm trying to come up with aquarium decor for the 75 gallon and am having a REALLY hard time finding something that I like that isn't otherwise unsafe for the aquarium.

I luuuuuurve driftwood. But I'm uncomfortable with the pH threat due to low KH and all the boiling and soaking and crushed coral in the world isn't going to make me feel better haha. I feel like trying to balance the driftwood with coral, in my total newb state, would be tempting the fates. I recently stumbled across an article recommending petrified wood for aquarium decor but I haven't seen or heard mention of this type of decor here.

Do you guys know anything about it? Does it affect water chemistry at all? Does it trap/release harmful gasses? Anything specific about using it with goldfish? I'd have to get my hands on it to know if it's smooth/gentle enough but other than that, what are your thoughts?

Guys, I'm really struggling with decor. I just can't seem to settle on anything and ultimately want either a really natural look OR a more dynamic/contemporary/totally unnatural look with lots of color-blocking and clean lines about it. None of that in-between stuff with sunken spaceships or whatever haha. The only thing I've been able to make up my mind about is river rocks for substrate, and a thin layer at that. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to plant an aquarium with this particular substrate. And that's as far as I've gotten.

So, PLEASE, tell me how to decorate my tank HAHA.

I'm going to go stalk some photos of all your beautiful tanks as I anxiously await your replies. Go nuts!

EDIT: And, with that, I just figured how I want to decorate. Of course, it's the most expensive decorative theme I could come up with. But, in a few months, it's going to rock your socks off

Que

I should think that if nothing else that would be excessively expensive. and your not likely to find pieces of petrified wood that look like branches or anything its usually chunks and the only way you can tell its not regular rock is its got a bark pattern on one side. your better off with just some interestingly shaped rocks if your thinking of using that. that's what I have in most of my tanks, lava rock is nice, not only is it usually cool shapes but its a great hide out for the bacteria you need to. the only thing you have to watch out for is excessively sharp edges. a little sand paper can fix the worst bits though.

it usually comes in black but you can find red/brown if you look around a bit.

lwill

Consider fake driftwood? I got a piece this weekend that I loveee and totally switched up my tank. Plus it was only $13.99 ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1399868025.384130.jpg

Tonia

Well Known
I have 4-5 pieces of petrified wood. It is gorgeous and I've used it in my tanks for years with no problems. If you have some pieces, give them a bleach water rinse, rinse them well under tap water and let them dry completely. You should then be ok putting them in your tank. I do happen to have one that looks like a larger branch, one that looks like a broken tree base and one that is quite large and looks like the side of a tree.

Anita Vidgen

I have a thin layer of gravel as my substrate and a heavily planted aquarium using pots, plus tie moss over just about anything I can.

OP
poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices

Well Known
Thanks guys.

Que I had a big problem with sharp edges hurting my goldies fins even after I buffed them out. They are healing now but that is why I am skittish I certainly do love lava rocks though and I can imagine it would be a good place for BB given that EheI'm makes bio media out of lava rocks. I use their sintered glass bio media but that's just cause it was a better deal.

I have time to look for the right piece of petrified wood and YES @Iwill I have considered fake driftwood I am just searching for a piece that isn't too sharp. The one in your tank is lovely and totally convincing. Once in a larger tank I won't be as worried about damage to the goldies but the one you have actually looks pretty safe anyway.
Anita Vidgen thanks for the decor tip. Do you use terra cotta pots? This is something I was also considering. I like glass but want to ensure I don't block good water filtration and nutrient delivery to the roots.
shayla1 glad to hear someone who has had experience using petrified wood. I will begin the hunt for some nice pieced of those as well.

Luckily all I have is time to search haha. The 75 gallon is going up probably this weekend but I all but totally bankrupted myself just buying equipment upgrades haha so it's going to be a while before it looks presentable!

New Threads