Petco/petsmart Dumpster Diving, What Have You Found?

CatfishGuy
I have never gone dumpster diving, but I might consider it because my petco recently got rid of at least 30 empty glass tanks. I might have to check out behind the store to see if I can find me a steal.

Have you gone dumpster diving at a lps/lfs? Have you found anything worth sharing?

PonzLL
No but I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you might find!

Fishcat
Go for it! What size tanks? If they got rid of one of the tanks they keep the plants or the big goldfish in at my Petco, I’d be awfully tempted.

Lynn78too
Some stores purposely break their tanks to keep people from dumpster diving. Be careful about broken glass.

CatfishGuy
Go for it! What size tanks? If they got rid of one of the tanks they keep the plants or the big goldfish in at my Petco, I’d be awfully tempted.
They got rid of the whole mass of tanks they have when you enter the store, ranging from 55s to 20 longs.

Discus-Tang
They got rid of the whole mass of tanks they have when you enter the store, ranging from 55s to 20 longs.
Send me one

CatfishGuy
Some stores purposely break their tanks to keep people from dumpster diving. Be careful about broken glass.
Oh wow. It does make sense though. Especially when we're talkin petco/petsmart. Though I think my petco is more in it for the health of the animals, all of their tanks have good looking fish (other than deformities) and they give all the betta cups water changes and 1-4 hikarI micro pellets.

No but I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you might find!
Just checked the law, it's perfectly legal too!

Let's hope my mom lets me too. She doesn't like trips to petco as is.

Send me one
Let me set up a fish room full of 40 breeders and 55s first!

Fishcat
Ohhhh, my. Can you cure MTS by overexposure?

CatfishGuy
Ohhhh, my. Can you cure MTS by overexposure?
I only have like 6 or so tanks running. Oh wait, I was gonna get a 29, 55, and a 75. All we can do is hope I guess!

midna
why would they just throw away tanks tho. idgi

Jolty
I scored myself a decent amount of hamster products, but I've only done it once.

midnaIn my pet store's case, it was because someone had returned it and they couldn't sell it once their animals had been in it. A staff member knew I had use for it and called me to go get it once he tossed it out.

CatfishGuy
I don't get it either chief. A friend of mine snatched up a 29, an aqueon quietflow 75, and TONS of media (among other things) behind a petsmart. If he would've found a light it would've been the perfect kit.

midna
I don't get it either chief. A friend of mine snatched up a 29, an aqueon quietflow 75, and TONS of media (among other things) behind a petsmart. If he would've found a light it would've been the perfect kit.

I was just at petsmart today... shoulda checked the trash

WinterSoldier.
I have dumpster dived plenty, from construction sites to people garbage can (and have come home with mountains of booty xd) , but I have never done a store!! Keep us posted on what you find! Btw why is petco/petsmart getting rid of tanks,

CatfishGuy
I scored myself a decent amount of hamster products, but I've only done it once.

midnaIn my pet store's case, it was because someone had returned it and they couldn't sell it once their animals had been in it. A staff member knew I had use for it and called me to go get it once he tossed it out.
Oh yeah! other pet stuff! I bet there's more of that than fish stuff.

AJE
Cracks? Scratches? After sales no one buys them? Idk

CatfishGuy
I have dumpster dived plenty, from construction sites to people garbage can (and have come home with mountains of booty xd) , but I have never done a store!! Keep us posted on what you find! Btw why is petco/petsmart getting rid of tanks,
I never get the meaning of throwing away so many tanks. A waste of money if you ask me (or anyone else).

My sister went dumpster diving at a best buy once, found like 3 of those good apple chargers, a roku thing, and some beats.

Cracks? Scratches? After sales no one buys them? Idk
That's what I'm guessing. At least if it's badly sealed then it's an easy fix.

WinterSoldier.
Stores are probs better than construction sites. I shld try walmart

yukondog
I thought about, it but I would need two ladders, one for getting in and one for getting out.

AJE
Friends of mine went dumpster diving right after krispy cream would close and they would gat like five dozen boxes of doughnuts

CatfishGuy
Stores are probs better than construction sites. I shld try walmart
I'd say you can even try an LFS, they usually have better stuff than petco. You never know when a store throws out NLS fish food!

AJE
They probably wouldn’t throw away tanks. Because they aren’t a gigantic chain

CatfishGuy
Friends of mine went dumpster diving right after krispy cream would close and they would gat like five dozen boxes of doughnuts
Doughnut places and bakeries are a gold mine for tasty food, all there is is the risk of getting sick from a nasty dumpster.

AJE
Yeah but they would watch as the employees would carry the doughnuts into the dumpster with a bag and everything. So they would just take it within a minute

CatfishGuy
They probably wouldn’t throw away tanks. Because they aren’t a gigantic chain
Defo not tanks. But you could probably find sealed fish food/lights/filters/filter media/meds/chemicals/test kits/decorations though.

Yeah but they would watch as the employees would carry the doughnuts into the dumpster with a bag and everything. So they would just take it within a minute
Really tempting me to go to a doughnut place and stalk the dumpster...

WinterSoldier.
What is an LFS store?

HappiestCamper
GuppyGuy007
Local Fish Store Easton Brickner

WinterSoldier.
haha thanks guys, btw those of you who have dumpster dived what have you found, I have found some great stuff

wrs2
I would be afraid to go dumpster diving at either my PetCo or PetSmart. They are in the hood and there are probably a lot of not so great things in heir dumpsters...

BReefer97
Consider yourself lucky if you find intact products. Any retail company I’ve worked for had a policy where you would have to destroy things before you threw them away to make sure people wouln’t take them for free out of the dumpster. A lot of places dump chemicals in their bags of trash too. But thankfully many employees are too lazy to do all of that - I know I was. I would assume places like petco and Petsmart would be the same, but then again they’ve gotten a bit of in the past for what people have found in their dumpsters (a live iguana, live fish, live hamsters/mice, etc) so they may be a little more cautious with company policy now-a-days.

CatfishGuy
Consider yourself lucky if you find intact products. Any retail company I’ve worked for had a policy where you would have to destroy things before you threw them away to make sure people wouln’t take them for free out of the dumpster. A lot of places dump chemicals in their bags of trash too. But thankfully many employees are too lazy to do all of that - I know I was. I would assume places like petco and Petsmart would be the same, but then again they’ve gotten a bit of in the past for what people have found in their dumpsters (a live iguana, live fish, live hamsters/mice, etc) so they may be a little more cautious with company policy now-a-days.
If I find shattered glass instead of tanks I'll look into filter media and maybe filters. Still a W in my book.

If there're tanks with small cracks I can just use F L E X T A P E

Katreno101
I've never thought of this. Hmmm filter media, food and test kits maybe? Could the store owner call the cops? Is it legal per store manage

wodesorel
It's usually illegal through trespassing laws. Dumpsters are private property on private property and both the store and the trash company can press charges. It used to be a thing around where I am but the cops cracked down hard a few years back. Each city/town can also write specific laws against it.

CanadianFishFan
Mine are all locked up behind fences. Ive heard tank kits are thrown out just because its missing a thing or maybe the lid is broken. If nobody buys it in clearance then to the trash it goes. Careful of all the dead animal ghosts and tell me if there is dead bettas in cups people. ( Not that I was snooping and didnt see betta cup with some fish floating in the trash, and 5 crickets running on the floor)
CAUTION: Many things in the trash could also be recalled! PLEASE Look up after if these things are safe such as animal food or malfunctioning heaters and things.

CatfishGuy
It's usually illegal through trespassing laws. Dumpsters are private property on private property and both the store and the trash company can press charges. It used to be a thing around where I am but the cops cracked down hard a few years back. Each city/town can also write specific laws against it.
I did look into that, in Kansas and most other states, once trash is thrown out, it is legally anybody's. As long as the physical dumpster isn't in/belonging to private property of course.

Wait a sec, turns out you can dumpster dive at stores, but the store owner can call the cops. Forgot to look up if stores are private property, guess the first part of this post really doesn't matter as much :/

Still might try dumpster diving at petco, am I a bad person if I go ahead and dumpster dive without the owner's permission?

midna
Still might try dumpster diving at petco, am I a bad person if I go ahead and dumpster dive without the owner's permission?

just don't get caught

CanadianFishFan
Well just be ready to be caught and get the police to come after you. Lol, Why not just ask if they are throwing out anything today?

CatfishGuy
Well just be ready to be caught and get the police to come after you. Lol, Why not just ask if they are throwing out anything today?
Seems better than, well, getting chased by cops.

oOBlueOo

I just checked and it's legal in Wisconsin, except for private property and no trespassing signs....

I'm at Target right now...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ski
Replies
Views
Rana Loca
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies