Petco King Bettas

AJ34
so I assume from what I have read, “king” bettas are just large plakats? I’ve been eying them. I see some male halfmoon plakats that look exactly the same as the kings but just a tad smaller at least for now... I have a big tank so was looking to get a larger short tailed betta.

CanadianFishFan
there also known as "Giant Bettas" Petco loves makeing up names for money. Ive never heard of king halfmoon betta, what were the labeled as?

CanadianFishFan
Ok I just looked it up and I guess there like long fin plakats.

AJ34
Container labeled male halfmoon plakat...looks the same as the kings...

AJ34
Interesting

RainBetta
Lol once I saw a "Vieltail Halfmoon". I seriously think that they just make up names so people think that they are getting some super rare Betta l

CanadianFishFan
Container labeled male halfmoon plakat...looks the same as the kings...
maybe try to get a photo

AJ34
I do have photos because I bought him.

717C8CED-5538-4AAA-8516-75AA1C887B3A.jpeg
CCEA693C-40A6-4EB4-B9A0-E4C476E124CF.jpeg
635A2F98-116A-4FB0-B2B9-67D2CBF9370A.jpeg

Fishaholic58
He looks nice. I totally agree with petco making up tons of random names for bettas to get money.... I found a cool looking betta I just had to buy called a “koi betta” which is just a marble. The price was $30. I couldn’t believe it!

NLindsey921
Beautiful fish. But reading this post I think my fiance might have been jipped. He bought me a paradise Betta for 20 dollars.

wolfdog01
Most of Petco's names are correct but there are different names for the type. I mean the vieltail halfmoon...that might be a stretch lol they'd have to know what to look for. But a koi betta is a type of marble, not just any ol' marble. Looking at pictures online of paradise bettas, those look like mustard gases to me. I will admit, sometimes they don't know how to label fish. Sometimes I wonder if they run out of the right label cups and just toss them in the wrong one lol
As for the kings/giants vs. plakats. Kings/Giants can be quite bigger than normal plakats, by a few inches. The one thing you will have to look out for is decor. He won't be able to fit into the smaller spaces as a normal betta.

AJ34
I assumed he was one of the big guys though smaller than the other kings and in different package. I assume sometimes it’s marketing ploy with them...he was 50% off seemed he was sitting there a while. He’s in a 15 gallon tank with a log with a big opening and plants of course.

Mcasella
King bettas have giant betta blood, a real giant betta (pure) can get massive, the king male I have is bigger than my swordtails (he escaped into the tank with them but I am watching to make sure he is behaving and not going after other fish, he mostly seems confused by them). So a king betta will get bigger than a regular plakat.
Paradise bettas have a dark body with lighter fins, the picture they have on the crowntail cups is of a black orchid, which they are now selling as a dark bodied betta with blue or green iridescence (a black crowntail with blue or green in the body and fins over the black is what a black orchid actually is) regardless of tail.
The bumble bee ones are supposed to be black and yellow but half the time they are just lesser quality color version of the paradise betta. They give them names they think will sell. A mustard gas is not the same as a paradise, they put out paradise betta when Finding Dory came out because kids were wanting a "dory fish" but this betta with similar colors was good enough.
Koi is a stable marble, so it won't suddenly change color over its whole body but takes much longer to change. I had one that I have until she was 2 yrs old (lost her to dropsy after a couple month battle) her markings never changed over the entire period I had her.
Veil tail is a dominant fin trait, so if it is a veil it is not another tail type.

CanadianFishFan
He looks nice. I totally agree with petco making up tons of random names for bettas to get money.... I found a cool looking betta I just had to buy called a “koi betta” which is just a marble. The price was $30. I couldn’t believe it!
Better then my lfs with $60 koi betta!

Mcasella
CanadianFishFan
I didn't even pay that much for any of the breeding bettas I imported from thailand, jeez.
I know I couldn't believe it! I have been lucky lately with my petsmarts selling kois! They are just labelled as $8 females but sometimes they are male! Since we don't have petco I was sad I thought I could never get a female koi betta... But these last months every time I go petsmart has them...

Mcasella
I know I couldn't believe it! I have been lucky lately with my petsmarts selling kois! They are just labelled as $8 females but sometimes they are male! Since we don't have petco I was sad I thought I could never get a female koi betta... But these last months every time I go petsmart has them...
I have four koi betta right now (two males, two females, but I am trying to sell those instead of keep them lol), I even have a yellow koi female of those four.

CanadianFishFan
I have four koi betta right now (two males, two females, but I am trying to sell those instead of keep them lol), I even have a yellow koi female of those four.
My new female koi has yellow and a bit of blue heres a picture,

upload_2018-6-8_9-26-52.png

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LittleYeti
Replies
Views
CMB
Top Bottom