Petco Guppies dying

Soorahk

Hello! A little over a month ago I purchased 3 male guppies from my local petco and put them in a 5 gallon tank, a week after buying them one died and I purchased another 3rd one about a week later
I will start by saying it is my fault for not properly researching and knowing about the isolation process when buying a new fish, I also was unaware about the nitrogen cycle
About a week after getting my third guppy, (3.5 weeks into having my guppies) I noticed one of my guppies had ick, I bought a hospital tank and put him in with a bubbler and a heater and I medicated him according to the medicine I bought him. He was doing well for a while but began to loose his color and became more lethargic.
Around the same time I noticed the two guppies in the 5 gallon tank both had shredded tails, this caught me off guard because 2 hours previously they were completely fine. I had just done a full refill of the tank earlier that day because I purchased a sponge filter for them. But as the days went on their tails got worse and even my fish in his hospital tank started to develop a shredded tail. I figured this was due to possibly high ammonia in the tank so I went to Petco and I bought some ammonia reducer and a pH reducer because I initially thought my water was hard water. However that did not help and the fish (who I isolated previously) died it was also my mistake because I put him in the big tank thinking that it would help because it was bigger than the hospital tank and I thought he was possibly stressed, I also noticed ick starting to develop on the other 2 fish and figured medicating would be easier) but he died the morning after and that was about two or three days ago.
And then yesterday my partner sent me a video of my other original guppy he was extremely lethargic and was not eating his food so I told my partner to put him in the hospital tank and to just put a towel over him and let him rest in peace and he died this morning. And now my third guppy is starting to lose his color and his tail is still shredded and I’m not sure what to do is it because I bought a sick batch from Petco or am I doing something wrong.
I did test the water before my sick guppy died, ammonia was at a 1.0-2.0, PH was 7.4-7.6, and both Nitrite and Nitrate were at 0. I did another test today and the water perimeters were the same.

Riot Girl

Messing with the ph is bad bad bad, having stable conditions is much better then Messing with ph and fluctuating. Ammonia is way high at 1ppm especially 2ppm. Prime water conditioner would of helped. Water change to get that ammonia out of there and buy some beneficial bacteria like Tetra safe start plus or Dr. TIMS one and only.

Upvote 0

HupGuppHup

I'd stop adding fish until you're cycled. Get cycled with a low bio-load and then add slowly. Personally I'd never keep guppies in anything smaller than a 10g - small tanks are problematic unless you keep them really clean and lightly stocked. Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Sweetacious
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup
Replies
Views
mimo91088
Replies
Views