Petco fish

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by MrTropics, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MrTropics

MrTropicsValued MemberMember

Anyone have any experience with petco saltwater fish (and corals). Was it good or bad? It is the only saltwater fish shop within 200 miles and I would prefer to see the fish before buying rather than random shipping. If you guys have an input or comments regarding this it would be great. Thanks.
    Jayson

2. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

With Petco and with any other chain petstore: the individual stores apparently differ greatly in quality.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense because so much depends on how knowledgeable and motivated the management and employees of that particular store are. Even one employee who made it his or her special mission to remove any dead or seriously unhealthy fish immediately upon sight every time they work in the store could have a huge positive impact. My local Petco however had a manager (I think though not sure of his status) once argue with me (a customer) that there is nothing wrong with dead fish and thus they should not be removed, and really I should not object. Since dead and dying fish can and do infect healthy fish, thus even such a "minor" difference in employee attitude can have a major impact.

Add to that the fact that different branches have presumably different suppliers (I don't believe anyway that all Petcos nationwide get their fish from same supplier - but I may be wrong. Different supplier would of course have an impact on quality of breeding stock, health of fish, and they may have different packing techniques so that fish arrive more or less stressed at the store.

So there is no way to generalize about "Petco fish". But you can probably fairly easily discern the quality of fish if you visit the store, spend some time observing the tanks, if you know what signs to look for.

3. OP
    OP
    MrTropics

Ok thankyou I'll definitely go and observe and see how they look. I have heard some horror stories about them so its good to know its not like that at every store. Thanks for your comment
    Jayson

4. AwNuts

AwNutsValued MemberMember

Well, theirs many ways you can look at this. When you walk into a Petco the first thing you need to do is inspect their fish for ick and any other posible disease. Once you have observe that piece you deff need to get acquainted with the sales reps in charge of the fish area to see how knowledgeable they are with the aquatics specially SW. Some Petco's ensure they try to hire individuals who will properly care for these systems as it ensure sales.

At one of my favorite Petco's the employees are very knowledgeable as they are reef junkies and not only that but the Manager is extremely good with SW fish. When ever they receive a sick fish, the Manager will immediately quarantine him and treat him to reduce the sickness or get rid of it. Also they will give you a 24 hour guarantee or a refund will be granted. The 24 guarantee will cover if the fish dies over night or is not compatible with any of ur current tank mates.

If you plan on buying fish from your local Petco i would highly recommend for you to walk into the store more frequently that way you can get a better understanding of how they handle fishes, whats their turn around and how often they have fishes sick in their tanks. Just my 2 cents

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

As I don't have a Petco here in Aus, my only advice: don't judge a store on SW fish health, look at FW.

Because many SW fish are wild-caught, and some are extremely sensitive, there is always a high probability that the fish was ill when it was caught, or the stress of being caught and transported and placed in a tank can induce illness (e.g. Ich). Because of these factors, you shouldn't judge the store on SW fish.

FW fish are generally all tank bred, and should be able to transported etc with less 'risk' persay.

Just my 2c.

6. AwNuts

True that,

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Petco does not acclimate their fish when they receive their shipments. There is a high chance the fish are very stressed.

8. AwNuts

not completely true. 2 of the Petcos in my area acclimate their fishes and if a fish arrives with ich an emergency tank is setup by the manager. So i won't hold that statement 100% true as they are exceptions here and their depending on the handlers preference.

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

They acclimate by floating the bags in the tanks... That's not real acclimation.

10. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

The Petco near me does drip acclimation I have been there when they get their shipment plus all the fish staff is knowledgable and if do not know something they will find out and get back to you. Plus they have all there Bettas in either a 1 gallon heated filtered tank or they have them in divided show tanks and they test the water every other day and use Prime and QT any sick fish they get. My flame angel and tang are from them and they even QT them for me for 5weeks. So as my grandma always told "Do judge someone until you walked a mile in their shoes and know how they live."

11. OP
    OP
    MrTropics

Ok thanks for the great advice! I'll remember that and I'll definitely get to know the fidh keeping staff. Thanks again
    Jayson

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I know for a fact that the corporate leaders of petco do not encourage drip acclimation. They ship their fish in low pH water and claim you don't need to acclimate because of that.

13. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

That is why I said mine did it. I know 99.99% of Petcos just dump them in the tank. I think mine is one of the select few of the 1% that the staff cares about what they are doing. The two other ones near my old house never heard of drip method and had dead fish all the time in there tanks and it smelled real bad. But like Ryan said always research a store before buying that way you have an idea of what you are buying from.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I worked at petco for a while, the corporate policy towards fish is horrible :(

15. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I will not buy fishes from any Petco. Most of what I have bought from them in the past have died.

On the flip side of that I bought a very healthy Crested Gecko at Petco a month or so ago and the guy I talked to has them himself (and breeds them).

Overall, fishes for me currently will either be ordered online or purchased at the near by "mom and pop" shop which is the best around here (in person).

16. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I am getting Dan a gecko for Christmas :) and the whole set up with a 70 gallon to go in his man cave. He had one as a teenager and his brother killed it by leaving out in the sun to long :(. I have fish from my new Petco, mom and pop, breeders online, my friends, and getting my rams from Harp tomorrow :). My mom got me them let's just hope Lucy my opal gourami plays nice so far she is with the gold Tertas and two jullie cats I got last week (QT for 3 weeks at my friends house she took my harquilens cause they where nipping Lucy)

17. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Crested Geckos are the best reptile to care for, IMO. Desiel is in my avatar.

Good luck on the new addition (when you get it). :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice