Petco cruelty=new friend for me!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I went in to Petco to check the price on sinking shrimp pellets for my cories and USD catfish and went to check out what fish they had on sale. In our Petco they have two different places they keep their bettas. One is an end cap right as you're walking into the aquatics department. Here they keep their male crowntails, most of their male veiltails, their female veiltails, and then their halfmoons, delta tails, double tails and female crowntails on a rack hanging on the side of the end cap. The other place they keep their "excess" male veiltails is on the counter around the sink back by the actual fish tanks. I glanced over at the counter as I passed by and noticed several of the cups looked smaller than the standard issue betta cups. On closer inspection, I saw that they had used empty salt cups (the cups they keep the aquarium salt in in the corner of all their tanks) to house several of the bettas. These cups are 3" tall and 3" in diameter. Sounds like an okay amount of space, right? The standard cups are close to 4" in diameter and 4" tall. Setting the two cups next to each other, the salt cup is about 2/3 the size of the standard cup. I took a pic of them side-by-side for comparison, so you can see the difference. That's the standard cup on the left and the salt cup on the right.
599.jpg

Anyway, what should I see in one of these tiny salt cups but a GORGEOUS male veiltail. His body is iradescent white and his fins progress from sky blue at the base to dusky purple at the ends. Just as an FYI, I measured him as best I could once I got him into his new 2gal hex tank and he is slightly over 3" long.
601.jpg

604.jpg

He doesn't have a name yet, unfortunately. I went through a list of several different cultures' gods and none of them seemed to fit. Any suggestions are welcome (I prefer unusual names with meaning that reflects either the betta's coloring or personality...his personality hasn't fully revealed itself yet since I just got him tonight).

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh Paige, he's beautiful!

I'm glad he now has a good home with you.
I can't help on names I'm afraid, but I would strongly recommend a tartly-worded letter to the manager of the store. Having a fish kept in a cup SMALLER THAN THE FISH has got to be reportable, even if only to the manager!
I am really glad you spotted him. Shame you couldn't take them all home, right?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There were probably a half dozen more in tiny cups like that. The sad thing is that at that store in particular management doesn't really care about the aquatics department. I've complained about other things there before (dead fish in the tanks, dead bettas out on display, etc) and just gotten lip service. I've actually seen them put a dead betta back on display after I took it over to the sink where they dispose of their dead fish. When I said something about it, the moron who did it said "That fish isn't dead. It's sleeping." Yeah, it was starting to decay and was very obviously dead! GAH!

Anyway, as far as the names go...I'm sitting here watching him (his tank is on the top of my rolltop desk in my bedroom) and LokI is what is coming to mind. LokI was the Norse god of mischief and tricks. For some reason, this guy seems like a trickster. He likes to hide in the water wisteria I got him and I've seen him "dancing" around the tank several times. Therefore, he shall be known as Loki!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awww LokI and Plutto (my WalMart rescue) can be best friends! he's very pretty! I love his colors =D

I can't believe your PetCo! =O my PetCo takes pretty good care of their bettas (granted, its not the best, but its good for a store that focuses on their fish department and has a HUGE fish department).

I'm glad you got him out of that little cup and into a decent sized home where he can stretch out and swim^_^

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so glad to see him in a good home is that substrate sand? ive always been told not to use sand with bettas witch is unfortunate cuz frankly that tank looks fabulous

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's beautiful! I'm glad you rescued him. What do you think of the name Dusk?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
izzyfishfarmer said:
so glad to see him in a good home is that substrate sand? ive always been told not to use sand with bettas witch is unfortunate cuz frankly that tank looks fabulous
Yes, my substrate is sand. I have sand (or a sand/gravel combo) in all but one of my betta tanks and have never had a problem. I even have a non-toxic metallic gold sand mixed into the regular play sand of my Egyptian-themed tank.
(It's hard to see the metallic gold in this pic, but it's the best I've got):
292.jpg

Thanks for thinking the tank looks great! I actually kind of just threw it together when I got home last night with him. I had the tank itself already set up with the cycled DIY sponge filter and the sand, but I'd taken the plant I had in there out when I moved my orange boy into my Hex5 after Emmett (my feathertail male) died. So, I just added the bunch of water wisteria and called it good. I've got my eyes peeled for a 5-7gal tank for Loki, mainly 'cuz I don't like my boys in smaller tanks (the smallest any of them are in permenantly is 3.33gal in my divided 10 gallon fraternity).

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow He is one beautiful boy. I'm glad you will be making him a good home.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on the save. He's a beautiful boy.
If the manager isn't receptive to your concerns, why not go a step higher and send an e-mail or letter to the corporation?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's a good idea, Lucy. I actually just did that AND commented on the complete lack of knowledge displayed by their employees regarding the care of bettas (and other fish as well).

jab91864

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on the new addition, he is very pretty!!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LokI is absolutely gorgeous!! Congrats!! Sad that it was an unfortunate circumstance & the bad care but glad you were able to rescued him.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, jab and FLgirl! Those are meh cell phone pics even! He's even more gorgeous in person. His fins change color between the sky blue, reddish purple and dusky purple depending on how the light hits them.

Nancy Drew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is beautiful!!!!

betta freak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
my name suggestion is bầu trờI chiến binh it means sky warrior google tanslate will tell you how to pronouce it

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow. Just got a response back from Petco after the complaint I sent corporate. They shoveled me a load of hooey what they recommend for bettas. Here is an excerpt of the email they sent me:
"We would like to address your concern regarding the betta cups that the betta fish are temporarily housed in. Bettas are descendents of wild labyrinth fish that live in shallow streams and ditches and therefore can live in small bodies of water. Although they naturally live in puddles in the wild, we recommend each betta live in an aquarium that holds at least one gallon of dechlorinated water. Male bettas must be kept individually due to their naturally aggressive instincts and are not well suited for life in most community tanks. We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate upper management in charge of the store to ensure your feedback is addressed."
K, that REALLY didn't address the concern I raised about the bettas being kept in tiny cups 1/3 smaller than the normal tiny cups they are kept in!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bassbonediva said:
Wow. Just got a response back from Petco after the complaint I sent corporate. They shoveled me a load of hooey what they recommend for bettas. Here is an excerpt of the email they sent me:
"We would like to address your concern regarding the betta cups that the betta fish are temporarily housed in. Bettas are descendents of wild labyrinth fish that live in shallow streams and ditches and therefore can live in small bodies of water. Although they naturally live in puddles in the wild, we recommend each betta live in an aquarium that holds at least one gallon of dechlorinated water. Male bettas must be kept individually due to their naturally aggressive instincts and are not well suited for life in most community tanks. We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate upper management in charge of the store to ensure your feedback is addressed."
K, that REALLY didn't address the concern I raised about the bettas being kept in tiny cups 1/3 smaller than the normal tiny cups they are kept in!
that's just rediculous! if they really did send that futher up, I hope you get areal response back and they do something about it D=

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello Loki, I love his colours, but I adore his themed tank!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Akari_32 said:
that's just rediculous! if they really did send that futher up, I hope you get areal response back and they do something about it D=
Haven't heard anything more from Petco, but I really wasn't expecting to. I haven't been back in there either (mainly 'cuz I have no need for anything right now). Oh well. At least I tried, right?

LokI is doing fine. He's getting bored with his little 2gal tank, but I can't find anything bigger right now for some reason. Usually Goodwill or one of the other thrift stores has nice smaller tanks for decent prices, but I'm finding nada at the moment. Wouldn't you know...I actually have money to buy at least a used tank right now and there aren't any available. Watch this...as soon as I'm broke again, there'll be a plethora of tanks like what I want available. I'm also on the look out for a 20-30gal tank for my new German blue rams, but I'm not having any luck there, either.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads