Petco Cichlid(s) ID?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Racs5, Jul 21, 2015.

1. R

Racs5 New Member Member

I'm almost certain the pink one is a peacock of some variety, But what is that other guy?

2. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

Not sure on the African ID.

The second one looks like a Green Terror or small Jack Dempsey. Not quite sure.

3. OP
    OP
    R

Racs5 New Member Member

The petco guy said something similar. I was hoping them not to be JDs.

Thanks a lot!

4. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I love the face on that red guy!

5. MadKing

MadKing New Member Member

The one in the middle in the 3rd picture is a Green Terror. One in the top could be a GT too. The other one looks like a stressed baby JD but it lacks the colours.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The first one looks like a type of Aulonocara sp. peacock cichlid, they need big tanks and are aggressive.

7. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I'm more inclined to call them Acaras than GTs. They are easily mixed up when young so I could be wrong with the few pics given. I think a fairly safe bet would be calling them either GT or Blue Acara...or a mix of both. Did they have any orange on the tail? Def not JDs though.

And agreed with the peacock ID. The type would just be sp like said above because trying to pinpoint it from a place like petco is next to impossible. The lines have all been muddy the chances of finding a pure blood is like a needle in a haystack. Ruby Red, German Red blah blah....its a red peacock, male for sure.

8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Those 3 that look like SA cichlids could be anything. You've gotten some good guesses, but I don't think any can be I'd correctly at this point. One in the 3rd pic at the bottom does kind of look like it has red on the tip of the dorsal fin which could be a JD. But the black dot on it makes me think it isn't. The middle one in the 3rd pic reminds me of a GT, but the roundness of the mouth/nose makes me think acara. The top one in the 3rd pic has what looks like a flower line down the side, and has me totally stumped. Plus it looks like it has red eyes.

I have not been in a Petco for awhile. Are they selling hydrids like FlowerHorn and Red Texas like Petsmart now?

9. Slug

JD have distinctive spots around the eyes and face rather than striations even at younger ages, and spots on the body. I still say 100% not JDs.

Both Acaras and GTs sport orange on the dorsal and generally have similar shapes while juvi, makes it hard to ID unless you start seeing orange appear on the tail IMO.

10. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

No JDs there, you can tell by the faces.

11. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I would be shocked if that was a Acara. I am not to sure with the actual ID's, but i don't think it is a Acara.

12. BDpups

I agree.

13. MadKing

MadKing New Member Member

JDs do have a black dot when they are young.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. BDpups

I've changed my mind a few times about this, but considering they are at petco, that third pic looks like 2 JD's and one GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Slug

Again, no pearl scales and no dots around the eyes which almost all JDs young or old have.....no real tail spots either. There are no JDs there IMO.

16. BDpups

Not sure what pics you are looking at.

17. Slug

OP's post. Where do you see dots around the eyes? Or bright scales dotting the body? Compare to the image posted above.

18. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I see a peacock, 2 green terrors and a jack Dempsey in the last pic.

19. BDpups

I think they looked stressed. I can see some spangling in the eyes. Not much, but they look very small and very stressed. JD and GT were my first thought when I saw them. Changed my mind, then changed it again. Not sure why I'm even still posting on it. This was an interesting thread. I'm out though..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice