Petco Changes $1 Per Gallon Sale

1. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Thursday afternoon I visited Petco in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The store is having the $1 per gallon tank-only sale, but eligible tank sizes have changed.

10, 20H, 20L and 29 can still be had for $1 per gallon.

40B and 55 are now 50 percent off instead.

I also noticed that the store shelves are getting bare on fish-related items, with several medications, conditioners, and aquatic tools on clearance. Last week I visited a different Petco and noted multiple items on clearance as well.

What have you noticed at your local Petco?

2. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Summertime is not kind to the fish BIZ. Those of us up north can finally go play outside. Fish stocking is almost non-existent at Petco and PetsMart now. Literally three or six fish in about half the tanks. Doggies and kitties are where the real money is and they are well aware.

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

My local Petco has had very little to choose from in regards to food, medications, and aquariums for the last couple years. Last time I was in there, about a month ago, they didn't have any aquariums except bowls and small 1-5 gallon gallon tanks for bettas. Petsmart is where I go for emergencies if I need a particular medication and/ or frozen foods for my fish. They always have a fair selection selection of tanks and stands up to 100 gallons.

4. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

You beat me! I was just about to comment on this as I had visited my Petco during my lunch break to check out the tanks (obviously lol :p). I will say the 40B here is up for $1 per gallon. As for the rest of it, its kinda disappointing at what they have. I used to go there for all my meds and ferts, and they don't even carry them anymore (stock became less and less over time) much less any other material that is needed :(. It's all bowls and sad Bettas

They only had balloon-mollies, a couple of guppies, some opaline Gouramis, and of course plecos. I noticed they had taken down half their racks (they've only got about 15, 10g tanks now) and made space for the other animals. Even the birds section got hit hard :(

5. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I like that... :)

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The change in the $1/gal sale happened last time they had the sale, I think. Unfortunate!

7. VioletSS Member Member

I'm sure the internet is changing how people buy fish and accessories.

My Petco/Petsmart are good for small, generic things and tanks... but for specifics, I buy online or at a local aquarium shop that only deals in fish and shrimp.

The last time I asked a Petco clerk about ammonia and cycling they didn't know what they were talking about.

8. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

My local Petco had all their meds, conditioners, and fertilizers on sale. They were all about half off! I decided that it would be a good time to try out a new fertilizer without feeling like I spend a ton, if it doesn't do anything. I stayed away from the tank isle since I didn't want to temp myself. :p

9. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

BUT ITS STILL BOILING OUTSIDE lol. Cali sunshine+heat it evil. Like Dr. Evil evil :p

10. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Gonna go outside and play now. Maybe go get some more weeds at the lake. Too may sissies here. Talk to you guys and gals later lol. :)

11. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

I'll join you when I can effectively stop cookies from baking in my car at 10am :p (and I'm jealous...I wanna play in a lake)

12. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Bump

13. BuddyD Member Member

Saturday was supposed to be the petco sale but when I checked out they said they weren't doing the dollar sale but only the 50% off.
    I got a 20 long tank but it was still only around 25 dollars. As far as fish they are well stocked.

14. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

15. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Nice!

16. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

They are doing it. All of the stores are. Just show them their own ad to make them feel stupid I guess lol

17. DanPlanted Member Member

Wow, I'm surprised so many people's local Petsmart and Petco stores are downsizing on aquatics. The Petco I was at today has a lot of competition with LFS and other pet stores in the area and stopped selling saltwater fish years ago. I did notice a bunch of supplies were on clearance, but I figured it was because it was a slow store. The live fish was just bread and butter at that store. But another Petco by me just got all new aquatics systems, I think they have 4 or 5 salt, plus a frag tank, and then around 10-12 fresh systems, plus a koi, plant, and turtle tank. That store has shown no signs of downsizing, and if anything has actually expanded their aquatics selection over the year. That store also has no competition in terms of fish anywhere near it. So it seems to vary greatly from store to store for Petco. I have never noticed Petsmart downsizing on their aquatics, other than getting all new fish display systems.

18. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Mine had a lot of fish items on sale in the meds department but not everything. The small bottle of TSS+ was on sale and all were gone but the medium and larger bottles were still there at full price for instance. I hope they aren't downsizing and are just getting rid of older stock that is about to expire and cost them money.