Petco Baby Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by OneLittleBubble, Apr 23, 2018.

1. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had success with the Petco baby bettas that they sell and if so what kind was it because a lot of people say they got veil tails and that makes me feel that they are mostly veil tails.

2. KamaileValued MemberMember

If you want to avoid a certain fin type, I'd advise getting an adult.

3. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

yeah, but there is a certain charm to raising a baby and seeing it grow up. I mainly just want to hear stories about other peoples experiences with them

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I raised one pretty much to adult hood and it was a female, likely VT(still was a little young to tell acurately). She unfortuanetly died out of the blue. So I guess I kind of had some success? I had her for months and she was healthy until she suddenly died for no apparent reason. I just wouldn't do it again because I've learned my lesson with Petstore bettas, a majority have died on me within months of purchasing. The fry are also to young to be sold IMO since they are still fry and most people will likely not put them into good conditions causing them to probably have health conditions and such in the future.

5. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

That's too bad :( sorry to hear that.
    Do you have to feed them live foods or can you just feed them micro pellets?

Probably won't get one just interested since I just recently got one from PetSmart (an adult) he is very shy still though

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

You don't have to feed them live food, but like all fish they'd definitely love it and it'd likely help them grow a little better since it has good protein. If you don't have access to live food I'd suggest using some frozen(doesn't have to be every time, but it can if you want.) you can still feed them pellets if you want though.
    also, doing more frequent water changes will help with them growing faster, but that's also not a requirement for them as dong regular water changes would work fin as well.

Thanks, it was awhile ago, but she was the first betta I ever really cared for so it was a real shame when I found out she passed.

7. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Wouldn't frozen food be too big for the baby

I recently got a male betta he is pretty small and I was thinking of getting a panda cory, would that be a bad idea

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  8. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I haven’t found it to be, I’d always either give her 2 bribe shrimps or a blood worm. The blood worm was a little large but she was able to break it apart.

I wouldn’t do the Cory as they are shoalers as well as they need a lower temp than the betta. Betta fish communities can be pretty tricky and need to be done in a 20 long heavily planted. If this your first betta then I wouldn’t suggest trying a fish-community with him until you’ve had him for at least a few months and can get an idea of how bettas are(if that makes sense) as well as do a fair bit a research into it because betta communities can have about a thousand things go wrong and you’d need to be able to know how to handle them. If you want some tank mates for him you could try some shrimp or snails though. I’ve found shrimp to very entertaining little guys and certain snails can just be gorgeous.

9. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I just want to put something else with him just like 0ne other fish because he is in a 10 gallon by himself

10. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

You could always try a divided betta tank. You’d just need to make sure to get a secure divider and make it to were they can’t see eachother through it(with plants or decor on the sides of the divider. You’d likely want to grab a second filter for the other side as well. Just make sure that the other betta is the same gender as yours. If you mix females and males in a divided tank the female will have health problems, like being egg bound.
    But if you try this do a little research into it as it is slightly more advanced then owning just one betta as things can go wrong, but with proper procautions it shouldn’t be as much as a problem.

11. lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Imo, bad water conditions cause fry to grow less/more slowly (why I tend not to buy fry bags). The Petco baby bettas are typically kept in cups with bad water quality, which keeps them from reaching adult size.

12. AJ34Valued MemberMember

I bought a baby male two months ago, he is a veiltale. This month I got a baby veiltale female. Mine eat bettamin flakes and crush freeze dried foods to start. They eat pretty good as long as it’s small enough. The boy can do that mini pellets now as he has grown a lot! I have smallish 2-3 gallon tanks that’s why I started with babies . I usually try to get older babies , I’ve seen some that are so tiny I wouldn’t know how to feed them properly. One day when my big tanks free it would be nice to get an adult male with a different tail type!

13. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

My recently bought male beta has some black on his tail is this fin rot?

14. kattimusNew MemberMember

I got a Baby Boy Betta from Petco back in February, and he's grown out considerably. He's all white with a blue shimmer to him and looks like he's going to be a veiltail.

I have found to to be really rewarding to see my baby growing bigger.

Further, to feeding, I've been feeding him the mini-pellets and little bits of freeze dried blood worm.

15. lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Please create a new thread for us to answer this question. Do not clutter other threads with secondary questions.

16. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Some baby bettas are mislabeled. One of my females was a baby betta and she is starting to grow the “crown” part of a crowntail. So not all of them are veiltails.

17. lilabug4545Well Known MemberMember

Yep! One of my girls is starting to develop a crowntail. My other one looks like a delta, though.

18. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Heres the thing, I suggest that if you want a baby betta you should be experienced already with a adult. I have had bettas for over a year now and learned so much! Even im still learning. I have 10 bettas and just got my first baby betta at petsmart (He was the only smallest fish there! 4cm!) They are harder to feed, as they sometimes dont eat or the pellets are too big. They need more food as they are trying to grow and also higher quality food with different types to grow. Mine is more shy and is scared of his 5gallon (I think it was too big, should have used my 2.5gallon with a heater.) I also turned off the filter as he can barely get around!
    Heres him,
    upload_2018-4-24_9-38-42.png Hard to tell size but he is 4cm! and my other males are 6-7cm

19. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Plus dont even get started on males being labelled as females. At petsmart they sold me a Female betta (it was koi, SCORE). Yeah it was a male, good thing i didnt start a sorority.

20. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

It happened to my sorority. I got a mislabeled male. It had short fins and a fatter upper body as well as the oviposter. A month later, he tore up all of my other female betta's fins. He didn't kill them though.