Petco And Arowana

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Al913, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

LOL, until today I didn't know Petco sold arowanas! The petco near me had 2 of them that were about 5-6 inches long! Does anyone else have their Petco sell arowanas? I hope people know what they're getting into before buying them

2. M

Matthiasfanu Valued Member Member

How much are they selling them for? lol

3. ChichLove79

ChichLove79 Valued Member Member

Those poor fish. They don't even sell aquariums big enough for an arowana. IMO petco/petsmart shouldn't sell anything that gets bigger than six inches.

4. OP
    OP
    Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, many people don't realize how big a fish or their requirements and they just buy them on impulse, usually due to the looks. I was really surprised though. They also had a couple of knife fish, even had an albino one!

Don't want to make this a Petco rant though

5. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

I've been to Pets mart where they had two 8" Arowanas in a 30 gallon with a 5" Clown Knife Fish.

6. Ashto Brado

Ashto Brado Valued Member Member

Saw a five year old buy one and a 20 gallon tank, makes me sad

7. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Don't worry. The buyer will put it into an uncycled tank only do a 10% water change whenever it looks a little sick. It will die before it grows any.

8. emerald6

emerald6 Valued Member Member

What's up with pet stores selling giant fish without selling giant tanks?

9. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

It's easier to sell a big fish, than it is to sell a big tank.

10. lyfeoffishin

lyfeoffishin Valued Member Member

A petco near me (south Florida) regularly has 6-10" Arowana 10" redtail cats 10" shovelnose cats various knife fish pacus and many other huge fish. All mostly in 40 gallon breeder tanks.

I do have to mention I know a handful of people with pools turned into ponds that have these exotic fish but many are caught in local waters and taken home.

11. EternalDancer

EternalDancer Well Known Member Member

But Arowana are such cute lil fish!

Until you turn around and find a three foot monster in your tank..

My lfs labels each fish with a basics sticker, traffic light colours for overall ease of care, and a little bullet list including whether it's a community/species only, temp range, solo/pair/trio/group fish, ideal food, and full grown length with minimum tank size.
    It makes life a whole lot easier when you see something you like, you can know straight away if it has a chance of working or not.
    I think these little fact sheets should be law.
    Especially when the employee doesn't have a clue.

12. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Meh, not a fan of more government regs and intervention.

13. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

more information is always better than less. i don't think requiring informative material is overstepping at all. if people are informed their more likely to come back for supplies or additional fish instead of giving up after their first attempt failed.

14. EternalDancer

If you go to a shelter/wherever to get a dog, you're naturally questioned about how you'll care for it. Small cage-pets are a little different because they're a standard size, but animals with huge variety... people need to know what they're getting.

Fish shouldn't be made to suffer simply because a pet store thinks it appropriate to sell someone a 5" fish without telling them it'll need a tank bigger than my living room as it grows.

"Law" may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think it's too much to at least wish it was standard practice to provide certain information.

15. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I can agree that a store policy having that requirement would be great. I just don't believe the government should be involved in everything, especially holding people's hands in purchasing decisions. It's the buyer's responsibility to do their own research.

16. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

You have to understand the business aspect of things in cases like this.

The company itself (much less a franchise) has no interest in the well being of the product they're selling. And that's exactly what these fish are: product. Arowana, gar, etc are beautiful fish even at a young age. They sell like crazy and a lot of species command a good price.

Don't blame the store, blame yourselves.

It's your responsibility to research something before you buy it.

If you eat McDonalds everyday you're going to get fat. That not McDonald's fault, it's yours.

17. EternalDancer

Whilst I do agree with what you're saying... it's a theory, not reality, that people will research first.

How many times do we se people come on here/other forums because they went to a pet store, got a tank, left it the advised three days to "cycle", dumped fish in, and now don't understand why their fish are dying?

How many people come on here saying their 3" fish is looking sick, to then discover their 5g tank just won't cut it, and their choices are: 1, fork out money they may not have on a 75g tank and equipment to put somewhere they don't have room, 2, rehome their pet, 3, watch their pet suffer and die.

Is it up to the consumer to research before purchase? Yes it is.
    Do they? Sadly, no where near often enough.

18. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

That's true and I'm not denying it. But that's not Petco's issue. They provide the animals, we pay a price for them.

It isn't their responsibility to come inspect your house for a proper tank set up. If you want to spend a 100 dollars on a wholesale silver arowana I paid 30 bucks for, be my guest.

The entire world is about money. Everything is worth something. The sooner everyone realizes that the better off we'll be.

If you want to join PETA, by all means do so, but I have to say I'm getting a little short with all these posts about chain stores and what they sell, etc.

You don't like it? Don't buy it. You don't want to get fat? Don't eat mcdonalds. You don't want to get hooked on drugs? Don't do them.

life isn't rainbows and butterflies and it never will be.

19. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

i think that's where the line gets drawn on standard practice and regulation. if it's standard practice then everyone wins and no need to put a stupid regulation on the books. if there is no standard practice and it is an issue that needs addressed, first step is to try to make it standard practice, if that fails, the next step is regulation. regulation shouldn't be the first line of defense but the last.

20. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

After all that - you aren't the one that's going to suffer. It's the fish. It's always the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice