Question Petco 10 Gallon Modification

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 10 gallon tank I got from petco. It’s the aqueon one and I would say it’s a great tank, but the silicon where the corners are looks pretty tacky imo. I tried covering the silicon with black tape, but that just made it look madre tack lol. I’ll try covering it again tomorrow with a thinner piece of tape.
Did anyone somehow cover the silicon? If so, how did you do it?

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure. if you don't come up with anything, I'd suggest looking into a marineland 10g. Most of thier tanks have the black silicone. imo looks much nicer.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mike1995 said:
Not sure. if you don't come up with anything, I'd suggest looking into a marineland 10g. Most of thier tanks have the black silicone. imo looks much nicer.
I would, but I’ve already set almost everything up. I’ll attach a picture of the tank tomorrow. I might just go with the thinner tape and see how it looks.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it the silicone you are referring to, on the inside or the outside?
If its on the outside, I may not worry to much about it, depending on how bad it is.
If its on the inside, I would not take any chances. Id take it back, and get a better tank.
I dont believe that the tape will hold once it gets wet. Even if you tried to put new silicone over the old, the new silicone will not hold. You would have to strip out the old silicone. But you cant just strip the part that you want replaced, you have to strip all of the silicone inside the tank.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You honestly don't notice it as much when the tank has water and decor in it. Tape on the outside will come off over time.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BluMan1914 said:
Is it the silicone you are referring to, on the inside or the outside?
If its on the outside, I may not worry to much about it, depending on how bad it is.
If its on the inside, I would not take any chances. Id take it back, and get a better tank.
I dont believe that the tape will hold once it gets wet. Even if you tried to put new silicone over the old, the new silicone will not hold. You would have to strip out the old silicone. But you cant just strip the part that you want replaced, you have to strip all of the silicone inside the tank.
It’s on the inside. It’s honestly not that bad, but I would prefer it to be covered. I’m probably not going to try to strip the silicone. I don’t want to risk me accidentally breaking something and I already set up the tank.

Mcasella said:
You honestly don't notice it as much when the tank has water and decor in it. Tape on the outside will come off over time.
I’m not too worried about the tape coming off. I can peel it off without any problems. I think I’ll maybe peel it off, see how it looks, then decide what to do lol.

Here’s how it looks like now with the tape:
C3048AAE-2E91-42A2-83C7-ED6F0F334E3D.jpeg

New Threads