Pet Store And Fish Cruelty

1. EmmyFish Member Member

I know this topic and been floating around for ages but is there not something we fish lovers can do or at the very least, try to do? We all know most places keep Betta's in tiny cups but after going to PetSmart today, it just made me feel sad. One Betta was dead, another Floating on his side at the top (Probably SBD), A couple had bad looking fins. I so badly wanna smack someone and take them all home and treat them and give them a good life, but I can't. :emoji_fish: When will people realize that fish are animals too?

2. matsungit Well Known Member Member

It's the very nature of pet trade, there will always be places like that. The most anyone can do is to stop buying from the place if you suspect cruelty. Or at least not buy fish from them. They will stop stocking them if no one is buying and they will always re-stock if people keep buying them.

3. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Dont buy for places that dont take care of their stock. AKA - Only keep wild caught native species because I am yet to see a LFS that doesnt keep one fish or another in bad conditions.

4. DylanM Member Member

Don't get any fish from these places. Sadly it is quite common to see someone "rescue" a dying fish from one of these stores with completely good intentions. But, what they are actually doing is providing a reason for the store owner to purchase more of these fish, and treat them the exact same way. Make it clear to the pet store that you won't be shopping there until they change their habits, and try to get other fish lovers to do the same.

5. EmmyFish Member Member

Oh I forgot to mention that some lady walked out of the store with a gazillion goldfish in one bag. I can't help but wonder if those fish will go to a
    That's the problem... too many people are ignorant. Today this lady had a kid and she walked out with a bag full of a gazillion gold fish.

6. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

From a corporate standpoint big box stores don't care about the fish at all. It's really not their business. The business is built for the common pet owners and they are looking at dog and cat owners. The fishes themselves are so cheap that they just write off death such as restaurants write off spoilage.

Honestly the fish wall is a impulse purchase. You buy 50 lbs of dog food and you walk to the wall and come home with a starter kit. It's like buying that bottle of Coke at the check out stand.

Where they make their money is that grooming station and own brands.

7. EmmyFish Member Member

Yes I understand that. It's still annoying though how people don't really care about the fish. However, you'd think the company would want to sell something in better shape and wouldn't let it die. To be honest I would pay more money for a fish if I knew what I was getting wasn't sick and it was taken care of properly. Rather than buying one and having to take the chance of having it die right away or not.

8. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

It's really you pay what you get. However even if you paid good money for a healthy fish that looks healthy to the naked eye but the min it hits your tank things could go south quickly. Each purchase is always 50/50 in my mind.

9. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

You're right, emmyfish. Fish are not simply a commodity, and shouldn't be treated as such. They are feeling animals. All we can do is complain reasonably, suggest alternatives, and not patronize the stores we don't like. It would be nice if someone could organize something, like a petition or something. They might notice that.

10. EmmyFish Member Member

Fish do get sick pretty easy and can always have some sort of something but what I am trying to say is, If this pet store could show me what THEIR water parameters are and the fish actually looked healthy and not on the verge of death. To me it's worth paying more. Fish die, it happens and I get that. I had one stupid neon swim up the filter tube and trying to get out through the filter guard and it died. NONE of my other fish including the other neons would or have tried that but this one was trying to pull a "Nemo-stop-the-filter" stunt.

11. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I will never buy from Petco or Petsmart. I know there are some good ones out there, but I haven't found one. Though if I'm already their picking up cat food I stop by the fish section and if they have babies the give the to you for free if you're purchasing something else. Thats how I got my 3 female Lyretail Swordtails, who would have been almost 20 bucks full grown. My LFS is great. The only fish there that I have seen unhappy are ones that have just been shipped and they never sell fish that are stressed. Though I live in a very in the Denver Metro Area, so I have alot of choices on where to get quality merchandise.

12. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I've been blessed to have a local LFS store that is reputable online as well as in store.

I do go to Petsmart and Petco but only to get something that is on sale and uber cheap. I do walk to the wall and look at the fish but aside from that it's just me looking.

13. EmmyFish Member Member

I live in a very spread out city. The choices are Petco, 2 different PetSmarts or this one LFS that is way the heck out of the way going anywhere. I went to the middle-of-no-where-LFS and I liked that they AT LEAST gave their Betta a gallon fish bowl and not a tiny cup, however there is so much about them that I cannot agree with. They put these large fish in tiny tanks and they have aggression issues that my boyfriend and I witnessed. The list could go on... I'm too scared to order something online because ... It's so dang hot here that whenever I order something it arrives hotter than heck so I'd be scared of the fish roasting to death.

14. goplecos Well Known Member Member

My LFS buys a limited amount of Bettas and puts them in the tanks. If they run out of room they put the smaller Bettas in large breeding nets in the tanks. My biggest problem with the cups is not the size but the water quality and temp control, so at least the fish in the breeders have clean water and a stable temp

15. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

That's the saddest part. Fish really don't get sick all the time. I'm back in the hobby recently after a several year break and I'm pretty horrified at all that I am seeing and hearing now. I've kept several tanks over the years, and have only had one case of ich, and nothing else, in over 20 years. And I never even quarantined in the past.

Now it seems that tons of fish come in from the farms sick, riddled with parasites, strange new viruses, who knows what. I don't typically buy my fish at Petsmart, but I look at the fish whenever I'm in there, and there are ALWAYS dead fish here, diseased fish there. The way they are overbred, and treated farm to store, is really sad. And it shows. Safe to say I quarantine now. And now people believe that fish should just be expected to get sick, because they are just such weak, sickly creatures, right? Quite a shame, really. Ok, rant over.

16. EmmyFish Member Member

I very much agree with you. This was a good rant. Even though I am new to this hobby I don't believe fish are weak. I believe that living in crappy conditions though does weaken them. Sadly enough Pet Stores don't give a flying fish about fish because to them they are "Cheap" and "Disposable". It would be super nice to have someone in the business that actually cares about fish and will give it to people straight. Instead of doing it half booty and selling poorly taken care of fish just to make a profit. What makes it worse is that someone buys an obviously sick Betta or any fish it isn't very likely the people selling the fish are going to say anything. Even if the fish looks like it's highly poor in health they are gonna sell it anyways and no even even mention it.
    I've had no illnesses to my knowledge. I had one Guppy randomly die a few days ago but it didn't show any real signs that something was wrong so I'm still a little confused on why it died.

17. Fish-whisper Member Member

My local Petsmart doesn't like me. One day I walked in and it wasn't busy, all the employees were up front yacking with each other. I walked by the bettas and it was really sad, so so sad. I asked the manager if he could get someone to change all the bettas (12) water and I would buy them, he said no problem. I watched the fish girl change the water and when she was done she said there you go sir. I thanked her and told her I left my wallet at home and would be back in the morning. She told me she couldn't hold them for me if someone else wants to buy them. I told her that's fine because the bettas have a chance to live another day with new water. I never went back to buy them the next day. When I go to fish stores I don't go by the bettas, it makes me so mad, it's so sad.

18. Boots8 Member Member

I actually agree with you -- big corporations like Pet Smart / Petco make billions of dollars through the pet industry a year. Their stores completely stocked with pet products (mostly targeted at dog owners, and cat owners.) The fish are there, as just extra, but they barely makeup for their profit margins. In that sense, they could care less if people not buy their fish, because their simply written off / they never make profit anyways, and are dirt cheap. The tanks & kits, make money, not the fish.

So that being said, if people were to stop buying their fish, they're still gonna sell them anyways, as it doesn't even make up that billion dollar net worth, their products DO, not fish.

That's why I don't mind rescuing a betta once in awhile from PetSmart for e.g I can easily tell the employees; "Hey, his fins are ripped, he is sick.. Etc" they'll either A) give me the fish for free. B) 50% - 70% off... If the fish dies, I get my money back because of a return policy. Proof that the corporation couldn't give a crap about fish sales.

Same with Wal-Mart, in Canada they use to sell fish, it was until people took a stand, and it gave Wal-Mart bad publicity/ people fought to get rid of fish sales in them, and majority of them got rid of their fish tank section.

If you really want to make a difference, you would have to (in my opinion, at least.) Get the media to attack them, no company wants bad publicity, look at United Airlines for e.g.

19. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

You cant care about fish and stay in business, sadly, the fishkeeping industry is a rat race to the bottom. For starters there isnt a lot of money to be made and secondly keeping fish alive and in good conditions when you are recieving new imports all the time is not exactly easy or cheap. This is why there are very few stores that just dedicate to fish (most dedicate to at least one other type of pet) and even fewer that take care of their fish.

On a sidenote, I think aquarists usually like to bash fish stores for giving sick fish instead of recognizing their mistakes. I dont live in the US so I dont know the fishkeeping industry first hand there but to me it looks like most of the time peopleĀ“s fish get sick because of their mistakes. I have gotten Tiger Barbs and Corydoras from wholesalers and Mollys and Platys from Petco and the only disease I have experienced has been mild cases of ich in the barbs.

I also avoid the Betta section. It ruins my day to see the betta section, it is just depressing.

20. goplecos Well Known Member Member

In my experience most illness is caused by the shock of transfer, since the fish usually isn't in the best health. The way I view it, If the fish is put in a cycled tank and developes a sickness within 48 hours, it's the stores fault.