Pet Silkmoths?

Alexolotl

So the other day during a brief stay in New Orleans, I visited the Audubon Insectarium. There I encountered some domesticated silkmoths, which are way smaller than I expected.
I’ve hatched moth cocoons for release before, but seeing those tiny moths got me thinking. Would it perhaps be possible to keep the moths throughout their entire lifespan as pets? They’re very cute little things, and I’d love to set up a little terrarium for them.

I’m not really sure if keeping silkmoths in captivity is a big thing, especially with the non-domesticated species like Luna moths. Do people in the US keep non-native moths like atlas moths or anything of the sort? I really love marbled emperor moths as well, but I’m not sure if they can be legally imported, as they’re native to Africa.

Regardless of what species I can and can’t keep, where do I start? How would I set up an enclosure that would last them their full lifespan, and what would their environmental needs be?

Your help is much appreciated! I like most insects, but the vast majority sorta skeeve me out a bit to the point I wouldn’t really like to keep any as pets. I don’t mind silkmoths and other lepidopterans, though, so I’d love to give keeping them a shot.

Coradee

That sounds like an interesting if possibly difficult project, hope members who’ve done similar can help you with some suggestions

Frisbee

It sound like it would be fine as long as there is plenty of food for it and it has room to fly around. Many moths are social though (depending on the species) so it my need friend. However, I would not recommend silk moths (get a different kind of moth) because they are invasive, very harmful to the environment and tend to cause a lot of trouble (I personally have experienced the havoc they can reek, a specially when they overpopulate).

Similar Aquarium Threads

• nedpatrick
  • Insect
Replies
Views
Suzanne2
Replies
Views
Annahhayy
Replies
Views
JenC