Pet Shop

1. Kia Initiate Member

Uggghhhhhhhh I went to a local pet store recently which compunded my want of an aqaurium.
    However, on the first visit they had a case of advanced white spot in one tank of fish (black moores?? large boggly eyes - black body).
    Given the benefit of the doubt that it may have been a quaratine tank we went back a few days later only to find all those fish had gone and in their place were some mollies. 3 of which were dead and being eaten by the other fish (also mollies).
    I pointed this out to a member of staff and he said they must have died within the past hour.
    Looking closer there were dead fish in other tanks too.
    often they seemed to be stuck up by the top of the filter/pump.

I won't be getting my fish from them but should I report this some where?

2. Craig Well Known Member Member

hey kia im also new 2 the tropical world there is a pet store where i live called animal magic in northern ireland it also has alot of dead and injured fish but still they sell fish they dont close of the tanks like the best tropical fish shop in like northern ireland which is grosvenor tropicals i said to the man at the counter and he basically said yeah but what can u do!! my best m8 works in there and he has 2 pick up the pieces he only works in there on saturday and sunday and he tells me that when he goes in he has 2 clean out so many dead fish cause no 1 looks after them but him he treats them all and cleans the tanks but he says its such a disgrace the both of us r now lookin 2 get jobs in pets at home which keeps gr8 tropical fish and other animals its just 1 of those things!!!!!

3. fletch Member Member

you could always contact the RSPCA (or the alternative if your not in england or wales) and see what they say. it is a disgrace though

4. joe Member Member

why would you post it

5. fishfreak Member Member

i wouldnt buy there fish from there if they dont check for dieseas

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

tanks should b closed off in shops if the fish r that bad like and their license stopped its not on its not fair 4 the people buyin fish from shops like that i mean the fish in their main tanks could b potentially wiped out thats only in a real bad situation

7. fishfreak Member Member

i made a mistake in bought a fish from a petshop it wiped out all my fish in one day.

8. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah, whenever I got to a pet shop and look at fish - if there are any sick ones even in closed off tanks, I wont buy fromt here for a while. I dont want to risk all my hard work because of one new fishie.You gotta be cruel to be kind!