Pet Ideas?

1. Neighsalot

Neighsalot New Member Member

I’m currently looking for another pet (or two). I’m open to ideas but nothing that eats mice etc. I already have dogs, cats, a turtle, mice and fish (note that this list includes some animals the rest of my family owns/cares for) so please don’t suggest one of those. If possible, please tell me why you like the animal and a bit about it.
    Thank you!

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

A duck!!!

Came home from the dugout one day with a mallard duck I had caught in a buttery fly net. I wanted to keep him but dad said heck no. :D

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Maybe something that neighs a lot.

4. OP
    OP
    Neighsalot

Good idea! I really want a duck and was reading into them before but sadly I don’t have much yard space (no grass too!) and I don’t think it’ll be happy inside:( I might get one in a few years if I get a decent garden. Thank you for the suggestion!

5. Alina

Alina Valued Member Member

Oh goodness there are tons of fuzzy, feather, and scaly friends you could adopt.
    I would suggest a bird such as a Canary. They will sing you songs and don't mind being by itself.
    You could get a hedgehog. They are nocturnal so they'll sleep during the day but such sweethearts! It's a good solitary pet.
    A guinea pig is always adorable I wish I weren't allergic to them! Great pets.
    You could get a scorpion or tarantula if you are into that and up for it. (personally I wouldn't lol)
    Sugar gliders are ADORABLE and so so so fun to have as a pet.
    Of course make sure you know the proper care and habitat before getting your pet. I hope you find your new friend! good luck! :)

Also bearded dragons are awesome little dudes to have! Calm, friendly, and easy to transport.

6. OP
    OP
    Neighsalot

That is my ultimate aim but it’s not currently possible for me. Horses cost a lot and I can’t find agistment or many supplies near me. I will keep trying to get one though.Thanks for the suggestion though!

7. 2211Nighthawk

Can’t belive you actually like that one. :D give me a shout out if you do get one!

8. OP
    OP
    Neighsalot

I’m unable to get hedgehogs and sugar gliders in my area and bearded dragons require a license (maybe though). I will look into birds and guinea pigs as they sound a lot of fun. Thank you heaps for all the suggestions!

9. 2211Nighthawk

Where the heck do you live that you need a license for beardies??

10. OP
    OP
    Neighsalot

Australia, you have to get licenses for a lot of reptiles here (we got one for Squirt, our turtle) and I’m pretty sure beardies are no exception.

11. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

A bit of work to keep clean but my Guinea Pigs gave me the most love in return.

Guinea Pigs Steve Joul 18.11.08 001 (1) - Copy.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Neighsalot

Your piggies are so cute! I’ve been looking into their care for a while and I’m falling in love with them! There’s a few cons to guinea pigs but 2 or more might come home with me! My other preference right now is a budgie but I always worry about birds not having enough space.
    Thanks for the amazing suggestion!

13. 2211Nighthawk

Huh... interesting.

14. Fritzmama

Fritzmama Valued Member Member

There is a family downtown that walks their duck on a leash! He must live inside as they have zero yard.

15. A

Amberk9 Valued Member Member

I have a guinea pig...she is a wonderful pet! Super sweet, she gives kisses and she loves to be cuddled and watch movies!
    Male rabbits can also make great pets...i have a male Holland lop and he's super sweet! Female rabbits can be pretty aggressive so i would recommend a male.
    Ants make cool pets too. I have a colony of ants and they are super fun to watch...they dig tunnels and chambers and they get super excited at mealtime!
    Scorpions can make cool pets, i plan on getting an Emperor scorpion. I don't know too much about their personalities though.
    African Clawed Frogs are AMAZING! They can live up to 30 years, they don't need much other than dog food and some worms and they recognize you and you can feed them from your hand. They are also really unique; they have no tongue, no eyelids and no teeth so they shove food into their mouths with their cute little hands.
    They are fully aquatic and only need a 5 gallon tank or less, depending on how big you want them to get!
    They sell kits for them on Amazon. You order it and they send you a small starter tank and a tadpole and everything it needs and when it turns into a frog you could upgrade its house to a bigger tank :)

16. Fritzmama

Fritzmama Valued Member Member

You have a turtle - but how about a tortoise?
    And mice are cute but I think Rats are awesome. You do have to keep their cages clean otherwise they will smell but they are smart. You can train them to leash / harness.
    A goat? Now that is trouble on 4 legs!

17. A

Opossums make great pets too! As long as they are legal where you live :) They're very affectionate and friendly. You can walk them around on a harness and leash and they can learn tricks :)
    Juliana pigs are great! Easier to train than most dogs, they can use a litterbox and they learn tricks fast. It would be worth looking into them too :)

18. OP
    OP
    Neighsalot

Thanks for all the amazing suggestions! The rest of my family really dislike insects and rats for some reason, and opossums, tortoises, rabbits and African clawed frogs are all illegal where I am. I’m thinking about a bird or guinea pigs so does anyone have experience with both and favour one over the other? I know the answer is probably no since they’re herd animals, but is there any chance I could just keep 1 guinea pig and spend lots of time (it would also have a cage that was the recommended size for 2 or more piggies and lots of toys) if I found one that was being excluded from it’s herd?

19. A

Hi!
    Get a guinea pig for sure!
    My mom raises guinea pigs, and i have one from one of her litters. They are not herd animals at all! If you put 2 guinea pigs together they will fight and most of the time they will kill each other. It is always best to get just one :)
    They get very attached to you and you can train them, teach them tricks and they give kisses and follow you around. They make great pets! Hope this helps!

20. A

They are very territorial with other guinea pigs....and that gets dangerous! Some people have luck keeping 2 littermates together but as they get older, they usually start to fight over cage space and food. People will also sell 2 guinea pigs as a 'bonded pair' but they actually don't know eachother and the people just want you to buy 2 instead of one!