Pest Snails

Pest Snails

erinw347
erinw347 submitted a new resource:

Pest Snails - A guide to keeping, controlling, and preventing pest snails

Pest snails are something every hobbyist will have to come across at some point. They get into your tank without permission and then explode their population! Well today I’m going to talk about what you can do to help keep this from happening and how to keep their numbers in check if you do have any.

First things first, we need to talk basics. So, what is considered a pest snail? They are generally the same few species that will get into your tank, usually from adding new things to your...
Read more about this resource...

StarGirl
I think you need more detail on how to control them if you do get them.

TheLadyFreedom
I have been fighting an infestation for a few months nows. I have found them inside all over my filter; intake screen full of sacs... they COVERING my decor...

I just put 6 clown loaches in... (hope my coreys will be okay). What else can I do?

erinw347
TheLadyFreedom said:
I have been fighting an infestation for a few months nows. I have found them inside all over my filter; intake screen full of sacs... they COVERING my decor...

I just put 6 clown loaches in... (hope my coreys will be okay). What else can I do?
Controlling how much food you feed is really important. When they have extra food, they reproduce. You can also add traps by putting a slice of zucchini or cucumber in your tank overnight, and in the morning the snails should be all on it, so you can just take it out and throw it away.

TheLadyFreedom
erinw347 said:
Controlling how much food you feed is really important. When they have extra food, they reproduce. You can also add traps by putting a slice of zucchini or cucumber in your tank overnight, and in the morning the snails should be all on it, so you can just take it out and throw it away.
I've tried lettuce a few times- I will try zucchini tonight.
I have cut my feeds from 1xday to 1-2x a week for all my tanks.

Kathylee
erinw347 said:
erinw347 submitted a new resource:

Pest Snails - A guide to keeping, controlling, and preventing pest snails
Read more about this resource...
I found my first ever snail, I bought a ton of plants & he must have tagged along. I spotted my hitch-hiker maybe 4 or 5 times over the course of 3 weeks. Last night I saw my orange balloon belly molly carrying something in her mouth, she spit it out & chewed it back up a few times, I did some research & believe it was a mini ramshorn snail. It was tiny & round smaller than a pinky nail. She ate his head & this morning I found an empty shell floating in the tank. Eww lol but problem solved I suppose haha. I've read "if there's one than assume there is more" I haven't spotted anymore YET though.

Fisch
Yes, the article is good but it needs a bit more, as the solution sounds more like 'oh well....tough'.
Even if you are not convinced of poison, this should be added as a solution with plus and minus in mind. There are Assassin snails, also here with plus and minus as well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom