Help Pest Snails

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some of the plants I ordered finally arrived in great condition, but one of them has small pest snails. They’re alive and I don’t know what to do. I was going to dip the plants in aquarium salt to get rid of any pests, but I feel really bad killing them now. Any suggestions??

Attachments

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you don't want to kill them then just put the plant in your tank and accept that you're going to have snails. I have them in all of my tanks and don't mind.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, I have a mix of pond and bladder snails in my tank and I don’t mind them at all.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
If you don't want to kill them then just put the plant in your tank and accept that you're going to have snails. I have them in all of my tanks and don't mind.
TWiG87 said:
I agree, I have a mix of pond and bladder snails in my tank and I don’t mind them at all.
I don’t know much about snails, but I think they look like ramshorns. I’m just worried they might get out of control, but hopefully they won’t. Also would they be okay in a tank that’s getting cycled?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That looks like a ramshorn snail - I have those in a good few of my tanks and honestly love them. They’re good cleaners and they’re very cute (many are pretty too). They do reproduce tho

And if you don’t want them, bleach dipping your plants in a bleach solution should at least kill them quickly

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The picture looks like a rams horn and they will probably be fine in your cycling tank. Mine survived my fishless cycle. If you just monitor your feeding and try not to have a lot of excess food their population will level off and stay there. I have about 20ish 1/4” -1/2” Snails and it seems like they have plateaued there.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:
That looks like a ramshorn snail - I have those in a good few of my tanks and honestly love them. They’re good cleaners and they’re very cute (many are pretty too). They do reproduce tho

And if you don’t want them, bleach dipping your plants in a bleach solution should at least kill them quickly
TWiG87 said:
The picture looks like a rams horn and they will probably be fine in your cycling tank. Mine survived my fishless cycle. If you just monitor your feeding and try not to have a lot of excess food their population will level off and stay there. I have about 20ish 1/4” -1/2” Snails and it seems like they have plateaued there.
I think I’m going to keep them. They look too cute to kill. I have one more question about them though. I’m doing a fish less cycle with ammonia in the tank where the plant is going to be. I’m assuming if I do want to keep them I’ll have to feed them right? Will this affect my cycle in any way?

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never deliberately fed mine. Even during the cycle. They will find decaying plant matter and other micro organisms to eat.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TWiG87 said:
I have never deliberately fed mine. Even during the cycle. They will find decaying plant matter and other micro organisms to eat.
Okay ty!

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the shell is at a right angle to the body and it's only a millimeter wide I think it is planorbis planorbis
You can google it to double check if the image matches. If u manage to get them established I'd love to buy some off u lol

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t feed them, it will encourage them to breed. They will be just fine feeding off of microorganisms.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donovan Jones said:
If the shell is at a right angle to the body and it's only a millimeter wide I think it is planorbis planorbis
You can google it to double check if the image matches. If u manage to get them established I'd love to buy some off u lol
Their shells don’t really seem to be at a right angle and they are all really tiny, but different sizes. I’ll also let you know when they’ll be established! Here’s another picture of them this time in water:

Attachments

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Based on the picture, that's not your everyday ramshorn! It looks like a miniature ramshorn, which won't grow to the same size. I had a few that came in with a plant - I've been crushing every one that I see, and it's been maybe a month and a half since I noticed the first one. I found another one yesterday. These are REALLY tricky to get rid of.

I'm generally in support of snails (I have a thriving population of ramshorns!) but make your decision carefully about these little ones.

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looking at the pick they do appear to be planorbis planorbis. If u dont feel like having them in your tank they'd do great in a 1 gallon window jar with indirect sun

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sounds like you've got some nice new pet snails. Most 'pest' snails are just called that because snails are hard to get rid of if they're unwanted and take up a little of your tanks total bioload. They should be happy to feed on algae, microbes, and decaying plantmatter in your tank.
I have similar looking snails in my 50 gallon among a thriving population of Bladder Snails. Nice to know what they might be.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
YellowGuppy said:
Based on the picture, that's not your everyday ramshorn! It looks like a miniature ramshorn, which won't grow to the same size. I had a few that came in with a plant - I've been crushing every one that I see, and it's been maybe a month and a half since I noticed the first one. I found another one yesterday. These are REALLY tricky to get rid of.

I'm generally in support of snails (I have a thriving population of ramshorns!) but make your decision carefully about these little ones.
Donovan Jones said:
Looking at the pick they do appear to be planorbis planorbis. If u dont feel like having them in your tank they'd do great in a 1 gallon window jar with indirect sun
Are planorbis planorbis and miniature ramshorns the same? I can’t tell if there is a difference between the two. I’m also fine with them being in my tank as long as they’re aren’t destroyed anything or getting in the way.
I guess I’ll do more research to see if I should keep them or not.

Ebreus said:
It sounds like you've got some nice new pet snails. Most 'pest' snails are just called that because snails are hard to get rid of if they're unwanted and take up a little of your tanks total bioload. They should be happy to feed on algae, microbes, and decaying plantmatter in your tank.
I have similar looking snails in my 50 gallon among a thriving population of Bladder Snails. Nice to know what they might be.
I’m most likely just going to have my betta and maybe some shrimp in the tank, so I don’t think their bioload will have too much affect on the tank. How are they like in your tank?

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
julkosi17 said:
I’m most likely just going to have my betta and maybe some shrimp in the tank, so I don’t think their bioload will have too much affect on the tank. How are they like in your tank?
They're pretty inconspicuous but there's fewer of them than the Bladder Snails as far as I can tell. The tank is decently planted and I've yet to find anything that looks like snail damage on any of the plants but any large algae clusters tend to have a few snails working on them.

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
julkosi17 said:
Are planorbis planorbis and miniature ramshorns the same? I can’t tell if there is a difference between the two. I’m also fine with them being in my tank as long as they’re aren’t destroyed anything or getting in the way.
I'm not sure about the technical nomenclature of miniature ramshorns, but they don't usually get much larger than 3mm (⅛"), and it looks like the other species mentioned can get to ~¾". I know the former is common within the trade and I haven't heard much about the latter. If they stay small, they're likely miniature ramshorns.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely ramshorns I have them in all 7 of my tanks great cleaners and when I see the population starting to get low I add more food. They breed pretty well
Donovan Jones in the next month or so I may begin a plants for sale thread and also if your interested I would be willing to try shipping some ramshorn.. keep a look out. Once this pandemic starts to fade out u will begin the thread. Sorry for the hijack julkosi17

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
YellowGuppy said:

I forgot to ask, why did you want to get rid of them?

New Threads