Pest Snails finally under control

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Butterbean, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Butterbean

Butterbean Valued Member Member

Well after being completely over run with pest snails and trying to dip them out, starve them out and any and everything else I could think of the answer arrived in the form of 9 assassin snails. The day the assassins arrived I did a water change and removed a lot of pest snails which still left hundreds. I added my new little guys (they are pretty little guys they look like little bumblebee bottoms) anyway it has been 3 weeks and there has been a big change. I would never have believed it but I highly recommend them to anyone looking to control pest snails. :clapping:

2. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

Re: Pest Snails finaly under control

After adding my assassins my only problem is not having enough pests to feed them :)

3. OP
    OP
    Butterbean

I can hardly believe it but that is what I'm beginning to think might happen to me to. I have plenty of blood worms and shrimp pellets though ;)

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Haha they are also called the bumblebee snail as well as the assassin snail so your dipiction is correct!

I have 3 and lots of babies/eggs I hope the never manage to get all the MTS but if they do I have ramshorns to supplement them :)

5. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I've just got some myself today can't wait for them to settle in. One the biggest hit the tank moving the other 4 are a bit sluggish (excuse the pun) at the moment but we shall see. I guess I've gone from hating snails and shrimp to owning more snails and shrimp than fish!!

6. OP
    OP
    Butterbean

When I put mine in 7 of them moved around within the first few hours but 2 never moved so I thought they were dead. I decided I would do another water change the next day and remove the two dead ones. After all day they still had not moved (no sign of life at all) turned out the light went to bed and the next morning they were gone. I have no idea what they were doing the first 8-9 hours in the tank but now all 9 are alive and very well fed.

7. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Update on mine. 4 are happy and moving (edit: and eating!) one unfortunatley has passed on to a bigger tank in the sky one is bigger than the others I didn't know just how big it was until it was ontop of another one. It has moss growing on it it seems so that one is called Vernita Green teehee

8. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

When I got mine they sat in the mail box overnight in cold water, I thought for sure they were dead. They sat motionless for hours in the tank. The next day at lights on they were tag teaming pond snails. These guys are way Hardy!

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I never thought I would ever get Assassin snails myself but after having over 300 in my small 6.6 Betta tank, i needed to do something. I gave a lot of them away but the babies keep coming!
    My one Assassin ( Jafar ) prefers the larger MTS snails so I am quite sure he will have plenty to eat for months to come! :)
    I only wanted one Assassin so that way he would not run out of food for a very long time but so far, since I've had him ( 1 month now ) he's gotten about 5 or so out of the way!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice