Pest Snail Or Baby Snail?

Chance0521

We have 4 snails in our tank that we bought from the pet store. We know some of our pet snails are mystery snails and we are unsure what the other is, but we know for sure the ones we bought at the pet store are not pest snails. We look in the tank today, and find a baby snail, possibly a pest snail, in our tank! We are unsure if one of our snails had babies or if SOMEHOW we got pest snails. So far we have only found one. I will post a pic of it but its tiny so I don't know if anyone will be able to tell from the pic. Also I will post a pic of one or two of our snails we got from the pet shop
IMG_20190925_170739.jpg
IMG_20190925_170304.jpg
IMG_20190925_170549.jpg

Ondrea Culp

I have a HORRIBLE "pest" snail infestation in my 5 g Fluval. I'd say the little one is definitely a PEST snail. I have 2 Mystery snails and they don't look like your tiny one, but my pest snails do.!! I had a local aquatic store set up my Fluval as a "HOSPITAL" tank & everything they put in it from the store obviously had pest snail eggs. I cannot get rid of them I'm thinking of throwing my entire Fluval away & everything in it. I've already lost one Mystery that was in w/all the pests & a bunch of worms now another one is sick!!! I put Cory Catfish in the tank to get rid of the worms and pest snails but only the worms seem to be gone. Good luck you'll probably have a very hard time getting rid of the little ones if it is pest snails.

bizaliz3

It's both. It's a baby pest snail. It doesn't belong to the snails you bought. So it came on live plants or water from the pet store that may have gotten into your tank.

Chance0521

I bought plants from the store but they said that there were not any snails on them. What should I do and what makes these snails pests?

Sheldon13

I bought plants from the store but they said that there were not any snails on them. What should I do and what makes these snails pests?

Liars! Unless you buy one of those individually wrapped plants in the tubes, there is no guarantee. If it came from a tank, it very probably had baby snails. If you get on top of it NOW and remove any you can see as soon as you see them you may be able to head this off.

Ondrea Culp

I agree w/Sheldon13 every time I've gotten anything from the lfs or aquatic store- ie: plants, driftwood, etc they've come with pest snails or worms. I now only buy the plants in the tubes.
I really like driftwood, but won't buy it anymore at all. Getting things off the Internet is no better except for some decorations.
Hope your infestation does not get completely out of control like mine has.
Good luck.

Chance0521

But the plants did come individually wrapped in a plastic tube!

Foxxway

I feel differently about snails.
1st of all---the top pic of the flat snail is actually a type of nerite. Believe it or not, there is a person selling it with moss attached and calling it a Don King nerite! Actually kinda cool, imo. The 2nd one is hard to see but probably a pond or Ramshorn.
Yes, some snails LOTS of eggs. Nerites only lay eggs in brackish water, so if you have freshwater and don't want babies, you're GuccI
I found nerites a bit too fragile for my taste but may try again. I personally love snails that reproduce. That said, I have more than I can handle (mystery snails are off the chain) but am going to try selling them on ebay and see how that goes. Even pond snails have their uses.
I *purposely* got them and MTS for FREE from my lfs so I didn't have to buy them for hellas on ebay. MTS are said to bury in substrate which is said to be good for keeping gas bubbles and the like in check. The MTS and pond snails haven't had babies yet, but I hope they do.
Some people use the pond snails as feeders bc of their soft shell and MTS are live breeders. I want rabbit snails and spiked MTS and they're not cheap so selling my plethora of extra Ramshorn and mystery snails will help pay for that as well a finally getting to sink a pond instead of having so many above ground. I live in a cold area, so overwintering is a major consideration and a decision I have to make very soon.
Anyone had success using a heater but keeping them outside?

Mcasella

Pond or bladder, not really a baby as it is large enough to reproduce.
They are the least harmful pest to have ime, they will eat decaying plant matter, not healthy plants. Their population only grows to the amount of food available, they can reproduce sexually or asexually (with a partner or using own genes).
Ramshorn will eat healthy soft leaves plants, but will also only grow to amount of food provided.
Mts will chew holes in even anubias and grow population by cannibalizing weaker snails if there isn't enough food.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom