Pest snail control

sawchynegger

Had anyone discovered a humane way to control pest snails? They are out of control in my planted tanks and I really dislike executing them in masses but they multiply so fast it's insane. I leave very little uneaten food in the tank and have a school of 8 corys, 4 ottos, a blue phantom pleco and other scavenging fish which clean things up quickly. Just curious on how others handle them. Thanks.

Coradee

Assassin snails are an option & you could also try putting a chunk of zucchinI or cucumber in & leaving it overnight.
In the morning it should have snails on it which you can remove, you'll have to do that regularly & it won't rid your tank of snails but will help keep the numbers down.

sawchynegger

I've been feeding zucchinI to my blue phantom and that's exactly what I've been doing. Prob pulling out about 20 or so at a time. I want some snails in there just not as many as I have. I was hoping to avoid killing soo many. I'm such a wuss I tried assassin snails. Bought 5 to start and they were all dead within 2 weeks. My red tail shark was picking at them. He leaves the other snails alone though. Very odd.

matsungit

South American Puffers will eat them, so will pea puffers. They're ok with tank mates but not so sure about ottos though. They're so tiny. Be warned though that puffers will probably eradicate all the snails and you will have to get more to supplement their diet.

sawchynegger

Wow! Would have never thought of puffers. I'll have to do some research on those and see if any of my LFSs ever get that variety. I've seen several puffers at one store in particular but haven't done any research on them. Many thanks!

jmoneyisback

Some pest snails made their way into my tank. Is there a fish suitable for a 29 gallon that will eat them?

Butterfly

No not really. Snail over population usually indicates overfeeding of the tank.
A good vacuuming, a large water change, reduction in feeding and manual removal of excess snails should go a long way toward controlling them. Finding why their over populating is the only way to control them.

Sinibotia

Depends on how stocked your tank is. Dwarf chain loaches (ambastaia sidthimunki) will eat snails but require a school of at least 5. Zebra loaches eat snails and can be kept in a 29 but also need groups of 5 and that would be a huge chunk of bioload for that tank size.

Also, assassin snails.

PodusMacro

Dwarf Puffer. Pest snails also sell for >$0.20 each on Aquabid/Ebay, often times to people who have Puffers.

Sinibotia

Dwarf puffers and redeye puffers as well will be good for getting rid of snails in a 29 gallon freshwater... but not so good for a community tank.

Jswin

Assassin snails

jmoneyisback

LFS had 3 assassin snails left so I grabbed them. Hopefully I'll see some improvement in the next few weeks

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Parrot Head

I accidently introduced snails into my sump on some banana plants. Within a few months I had hundreds in the section with my return pump. Realizing none of them were showing up in my show tank I assumed they were being eaten if the sump pump sucked them in and sent them to the tank. So I moved one of my small blood red parrot fish to the sump. It's been four days and almost all the snails are gone. I guess he can only eat so many a day. So I think the fish you want is a blood parrot. They are a great fish anyways.

aliray

Blood parrots are too big for a 29 gallon. Alison

Greenplant

No not really. Snail over population usually indicates overfeeding of the tank.
A good vacuuming, a large water change, reduction in feeding and manual removal of excess snails should go a long way toward controlling them. Finding why their over populating is the only way to control them.

I find this post to be very helpful and should be followed a 50% WC with a good Vacuuming always helps me in reducing the pop. Watch your feeding and before bed about 3x's a week I'll pick out 20 or so of the bigger ones. Good Luck

Jswin

This isn't it's intended purpose but there is a product called no-planaria and it kills snails. It's an herb extract of some sort that is shrimp plant and fish safe but not snail and planarian safe. I had a planarian outbreak in my 5 gallon rcs tank and bought this to clear it. It got rid of the planarian, 2 nerites, and the few mts I had recently placed in there. Should have read the packaging more carefully

octavio

This isn't it's intended purpose but there is a product called no-planaria and it kills snails. It's an herb extract of some sort that is shrimp plant and fish safe but not snail and planarian safe. I had a planarian outbreak in my 5 gallon rcs tank and bought this to clear it. It got rid of the planarian, 2 nerites, and the few mts I had recently placed in there. Should have read the packaging more carefully

If this product truly is safe for fish you have hit upon the miracle cure for many of us!

Butterfly

Using chemicals of any kind in your tanks should be a last resort. Even though the package may say it won't hurt your fish or plants many times it will weaken them and this leaves plants and fish open for disease.

If you are having a Planarian or snail outbreak you are most likely over feeding. Water changes and deep substrate vacuuming will take care of the problem. Fish will eat the planarian as a good source of protein.

Jswin

It's not necessarily a chemical. It's an herb extract. And it for sure kills mts but be careful with ammonia and nitrate levels if you use it because there's probably a lot more snails in there then you realize

AndroidMonkey

Hello everyone,

I've acquired a small horde of ramshorn snails from some plants that I purchased. They were simply an annoyance before, but I've discovered that they're wearing holes in the shells of my other snails! I'm going to use the leafy vegetable method to get as many out as I can, but I want to install a team of critters to help keep them at bay long-term. I'll be putting the leafy vegetable in the first compartment of my filter, which will exclude the larger snails because they can't get through the vents.

Mostly, I just want to run my plan past people with more experience so that I can be sure I'm not doing anything stupid.

Aquarium specs:
  • 9gal (Fluval Flex)
  • Moderately planted
My current denizens:
  1. Male betta 1x
  2. African dwarf frog 1x
  3. Trapdoor snail 1x
  4. Mysterious snails 4x (I have no clue what they are, but I'm fond of them)
Proposed additions:
  1. Large ghost shrimp 1-2x [detritus control]
  2. Catfish (C. panda, habrosus, or julii) 4-6x [egg control, detritus control]
Would an assassin snail put my other snails at risk?

My betta is very interested in eating the snails, and has been trying to from the moment I put him in the aquarium. He's already eaten one that I crushed. I'm unsure whether or not my frog will eat any.

Does this all sound reasonable? Any input is appreciated!

JamieXPXP

the catfish will be too big and active for your tanksize. assassin snails will go after all snails except their own kind I think

fjh

1) if you post pictures of the "mysterious snails" we can ID them for you.

2) assassin snails would put all snails at risk, so I would not recommend them

3) with ghost shrimp, make sure that a) they are actually ghost shrimp and not their super aggressive cousins, and b) that your betta is calm enough that he won't eat them

4) I would not recommend any cory cats because they are very active fish and prefer a larger tank. Also some of the species you mentioned are not temp. Compatible with betta

5) for getting rid of the ramshorns, I would first manually remove any eggs and snails you see. Then try the veggie method to lure the rest. However I would not put it in your filter (you REALLY don't want snails in there!) Just put it on the tank bottom and in the morning you can take off any snails you want to keep before tossing the rest.

6) if you are lazy like me, borrow a friend's loach for a week or two. Can't be a long term arrangement, but you'll find lots of empty shells in your tank

7) I'd also recommend adding calcium suppliments to the tank to help your snails heal from the holes in their shells (also what exactly do you mean by this?)

AndroidMonkey

fjh
  1. I'll try to get a picture.
  2. Noted.
  3. The only place in town with ghost shrimp is PetSmart, so I don't know if I'll trust them for the shrimp ID. I know for certain that they misidentify many of their plants. Although, the fish shop said they might have some in the future.
  4. Darn. I'm quite fond of catfish. Do you think some minnows or rasboras would help? After my minnows passed away I decided not to replace them because of problems with feeding.
  5. My filter makes up the entire back wall of the tank with three (technically four) distinct compartments. The first, which I call the intake, is just empty space - I assume it's there for putting extra filter media in. There's no chance of the snails getting any farther than that because the next chamber is filled with the filter block. Even if they somehow got past that and into the final chamber, there's no machinery for them to get caught in, etc since the impeller is enclosed in a housing. I've had several animals end up in the first compartment because apparently it's a great place to hang out. There are some good pictures on . I've crushed quite a few today.
  6. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a loach to mooch.
  7. They have holes in their shells, mostly at the terminal ends, that look like they've been rasped into existence. The big snails nearly always have a bunch of hitch-hikers, especially during feeding. (I'll try to get a picture) Even if it's not the ramshorns doing it, they've got to go.

fjh

fjh
  1. I'll try to get a picture.
  2. Noted.
  3. The only place in town with ghost shrimp is PetSmart, so I don't know if I'll trust them for the shrimp ID. I know for certain that they misidentify many of their plants. Although, the fish shop said they might have some in the future.
  4. Darn. I'm quite fond of catfish. Do you think some minnows or rasboras would help? After my minnows passed away I decided not to replace them because of problems with feeding.
  5. My filter makes up the entire back wall of the tank with three (technically four) distinct compartments. The first, which I call the intake, is just empty space - I assume it's there for putting extra filter media in. There's no chance of the snails getting any farther than that because the next chamber is filled with the filter block. Even if they somehow got past that and into the final chamber, there's no machinery for them to get caught in, etc since the impeller is enclosed in a housing. I've had several animals end up in the first compartment because apparently it's a great place to hang out. There are some good pictures on . I've crushed quite a few today.
  6. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a loach to mooch.
  7. They have holes in their shells, mostly at the terminal ends, that look like they've been rasped into existence. The big snails nearly always have a bunch of hitch-hikers, especially during feeding. (I'll try to get a picture) Even if it's not the ramshorns doing it, they've got to go.

You can try to ID the shrimp yourself. I think the aggressive kind is the whisker shrimp? Look at the front claws and number of bumps on the back...
If you don't want to risk it, you can try ammano or cherry shrimp instead.

I don't recommend minnows or rasbora either. Those are both very active schooling fish. Also please check the temperature compatibility minnows are cold water, bettas prefer 80F+, and rasbora vary depending on type.
If your betta is really even tempered, you could probably get away with guppies or platies, just make sure they are not super colorful or long finned.

Oooh sorry I didn't know your filter was integrated into your tank! I was just thinking that snails + propeller doesn't turn out well for either party lol. But if you say it works, then go ahead and try it!

It they are really as bad as you say that there are ramshorns everywhere I'd just remove as many as possible by hand first. Then when the tank is relatively snail free then use the traps. Pitty you can't borrow a loach ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
ikolbyi
Replies
Views
Natalya
  • MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
  • Snails