Pest Infested Hornwort Help 

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay so I ordered hornwort from aquatic arts about a month ago, but when it got here I noticed it looked strange. There were random globs of unidentified randomness on it so I decided to take a .5 gal mason jar I had around and stick it in there for awhile to “quarantine” it but I really know nothing about how to do that properly.

Long story short, I realized I have zero self control when buying plants and I actually didn’t have room for it in my tank, so it’s been sitting in the corner of my kitchen ignored for about a month.

Out of nowhere decided to look at it today and noticed bladder snails. Then kept watching and I’ve seen ramshorns as well. I put some of each into the jarrarium (pics included) I just set up for my mom, thinking it would help with any potential algae issues.

My question is what do I do with the hornwort and remaining snails!? I don’t want them in my 6.8g and I don’t have anywhere else for them.

I also don’t think I have the heart to kill them manually (i.e. squashing), so any recommendations other than that would be appreciated!

I’m moving in a couple weeks so this is a bit urgent as well.

Attachments

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same here but I noticed snails on mine almost immediately. I did a bleach dip treatment I found through a google search and waited a couple of days with it in a 5 gallon bucket. It's been in my tank now for about a month and I have found two bladder snails but that's it. About two weeks apart. I took them out and froze them then threw away. It is a huge amount that they send and it isn't clear on the site that it will be so much. I gave about half away and it's still a lot for my 20 gallon.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kjw0916 said:
Same here but I noticed snails on mine almost immediately. I did a bleach dip treatment I found through a google search and waited a couple of days with it in a 5 gallon bucket. It's been in my tank now for about a month and I have found two bladder snails but that's it. About two weeks apart. I took them out and froze them then threw away. It is a huge amount that they send and it isn't clear on the site that it will be so much. I gave about half away and it's still a lot for my 20 gallon.
I’m a bit of a baby, and I would have a hard time killing them. Although, I do think bleach dip would be the easiest for me.

That said the last thing I want to do is flush them or release them because I don’t want to mess with the local ecology.

Anyone want free hornwort and pest snails shipped to them? Otherwise I’ve got hard decisions to make!

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe hornwort is invasive so make sure however you dispose of it, that it isn't going to end up in water. It grows FAST.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kjw0916 said:
I believe hornwort is invasive so make sure however you dispose of it, that it isn't going to end up in water. It grows FAST.
That’s a great point, my boyfriend is an environmental scientist, so that’s been drilled into me and is now my first concern.

I definitely won’t flush it or put it down the drain. I make sure all of my clippings are disposed of responsibly since I’m in Cali and they may survive year round!

In this particular case I’m just unsure of how to humanely deal with the snails. I would really rather find a way to keep them alive (not in a native environment).

kjw0916

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FloydtheBetta said:
That’s a great point, my boyfriend is an environmental scientist, so that’s been drilled into me and is now my first concern.

I definitely won’t flush it or put it down the drain. I make sure all of my clippings are disposed of responsibly since I’m in Cali and they may survive year round!

In this particular case I’m just unsure of how to humanely deal with the snails. I would really rather find a way to keep them alive (not in a native environment).
I'm not sure about that other than setting them up in their own tank. From what I understand if they don't have a ton of food they won't reproduce as much. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom