Pest ID

LadfromLondon

I haven’t noticed these pests up until now, and I’m not sure what they are. They are tiny and stick to the glass. Due to their small size it’s extremely difficult to photograph them but I have tried. If you zoom into the picture you’ll see tiny white dots near the right side of my Sword.

What are they?
Are they harmful?
Should I leave them in?

This is in an uncycled unstocked 10G

Now that I’m looking closer I can see some Detritus Worms in the tank swimming around. Would it be safe to assume these other tiny pests on the glass walls are the same thing?

Attachments

• F0B667A8-B2A6-48D2-8F9E-2407DF2E1FCC.jpeg
    F0B667A8-B2A6-48D2-8F9E-2407DF2E1FCC.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 57

richiep

Looking at the picture I'd say they are to small to be a nymph or larvae which only leaves whats comon in non fish tanks and that's Copeapods or Seed shrimp both harmless and stay small, if they do get to ¼" post another photo to check they are not the first I've mentioned.

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Look up copepods. See if they match what you’re seeing. They’re harmless and are present in all aquariums.

Upvote 0

Katie993

Any idea what type of snail this is? I found it in my shrimp tank which has never had any snails and couldn't have been a hitchhiker on plants. I'm really not sure how it got there. It looks like a nerite to me. I bought one nerite a few weeks ago but it went in my betta tank and they don't breed in freshwater or by themselves right? I also have ramshorns in another tank but its definitely not a ramshorn. Ignore the crazy amounts of algae. It was a busy weekend and I missed tank cleaning day lol

1591647428283.png

Upvote 0

Katie993

Its a bladder snail isnt it? ugh... whats the best way to get rid of it?

Upvote 0

Feohw

Best to start your own thread. That's a pond snail, not a bladder snail. I like them. There's a good chance that there are more. If that's the case, assassin snails can kill them, or you could add a piece of zucchini and then remove it once some have gathered on it. I would just remove them and give them to your LFS if they will take them.

Upvote 0

Katie993

I'm planning on starting a pea puffer tank but I'm assuming these will get way out of hand before I get that set up. I don't have an LFS close by. Maybe petsmart or petco would take them? If it was just one, it wouldn't be a problem but I was assuming there were more. Still can't figure out how it got into the tank though. Tissue cultured anubias and one dry bulb that I threw in there to try out. Everything else in the tank was brand new. Unless it came in with the shrimp maybe?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

I'm planning on starting a pea puffer tank but I'm assuming these will get way out of hand before I get that set up. I don't have an LFS close by. Maybe petsmart or petco would take them? If it was just one, it wouldn't be a problem but I was assuming there were more. Still can't figure out how it got into the tank though. Tissue cultured anubias and one dry bulb that I threw in there to try out. Everything else in the tank was brand new. Unless it came in with the shrimp maybe?
Pond snails are actually one of the rarer pest snails that are come upon. I heard they actually aren’t terrible about breeding out of control. It’s certainly possible that they came in with your shrimp. If you don’t want it personally I would just throw it out. I heard salt kills them instantly, but I just threw my bladder snails in the front yard.

Upvote 0

Katie993

My boyfriend had a great idea. I completely forgot that I have an outside waterfall pond with goldfish in it so I think its going to go in there. Once I find him again that is lol this tank has been up and going for about a month and today was the first time ive seen it so its pretty good at hiding lol

Upvote 0

Katie993

Found another bonus pond snail hiding with the ramshorns in my 29 gal.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishyk80
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Mamastacia3
Replies