Pest ID help please

AwareAlmond

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The light on my tank died and fish where left in only low natural light a few days. I replaced the light and omg, what is this eating my male guppies tail? I have had many fish for years and never seen this before. Seemed perfect 3 days ago I have done nothing to tank but feed in this time. No water change, no new tank mates, only the same dry food i always give.

Sorry pictures aren't better but 10x is as good as my camera gets.
20200713_201848.jpg
20200713_201842.jpg
20200713_201425.jpg

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
AwareAlmond said:
The light on my tank died and fish where left in only low natural light a few days. I replaced the light and omg, what is this eating my male guppies tail? I have had many fish for years and never seen this before. Seemed perfect 3 days ago I have done nothing to tank but feed in this time. No water change, no new tank mates, only the same dry food i always give.

Sorry pictures aren't better but 10x is as good as my camera gets.
20200713_201848.jpg
20200713_201842.jpg
20200713_201425.jpg

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lighting would have no effect in this. This is strictly a water quality issue causing infection , or a tank mate nipped him.
Any other tank mates?

You need to test your water parameters right now. Are you doing weekly water changes? You will need to do about 2-3x a week to help prevent his fins from rotting any more.

OP
A

AwareAlmond

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mentioned light as it was the only thing that has been different. Tank mate is one female guppy and their 20 fry that are 2 weeks old.

Ph 7.4 same as tap, no change
Gh 20
Kh 4
nitrite 0
nitrate 20

Doing immediate water change as nitrate level has definitely gone up.

All my tanks get 25% water change every weekend.

Never seen the bright red before, definitely through me.

JakeXP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The red edging definitely resembles fin rot one of my guppies previously experienced. I can't tell if it's just the picture, but is his tail end sort of sinking when he's stationary too?

OP
A

AwareAlmond

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, his tail end is low now when stationary. He has lost considerable body mass over the past four days.

After water change and prime he seems more active. Readily eating.

JakeXP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My guppy has/had exactly the same symptoms - fin rot with the bright red edging on the tail fin and tail end lower when stationary. He's also extremely skittish and will dart away if I approach the tank, whereas he'd be straight at the front with the others before. He also doesn't interact with the other fish as much. Just like yours though he's eating completely fine and still quite active.

I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but I believe it to either be lingering effects of ammonia poisoning (had an ammonia reading after I cleaned the filter too vigorously several weeks ago), or the effect of some sort of secondary infection after either gill flukes or tapeworms. Did you have an ammonia reading before doing the PWC?

New Threads