Personality

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been looking for a fish for a while now that has a grand personality. I want it to fit in a maximum of 75 gallons. I like oscars a lot, but want something more. I absolutely love puffer fish, but feeding them seem difficult and expensive. If there are any intermediate puffers that get around 6 inches and are not hard to care for let me know. I also like flowerhorn but I feel like they are not the best fit for me. Anything helps!

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you plan stocking anything else in this tank?

Congo puffers get to about 6 inches but they're pretty aggressive

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nothing in the tank, I don’t even have the tank in my possession yet because I’m moving and wasn’t gonna buy a tank and then move it

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, with Congo puffers, how do I keep a steady food supply. I heard they only eat snails, crabs, and muscles

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, with Congo puffers, how do I keep a steady food supply. I heard they only eat snails, crabs, and muscles

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't have a puffer bigger than an inch but you could start a colony of pest snails (bladder, pond, ramshorn) These breed the fastest and grow pretty fast.

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
qchris87 said:
Don't have a puffer bigger than an inch but you could start a colony of pest snails (bladder, pond, ramshorn) These breed the fastest and grow pretty fast.
How exactly do I start a colony up like that

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Blood parrots are hilarious if you want to try them instead of the puffers. 75 is the minimum for a pair. I have one in my 55 and she's like having an aquatic toddler lol.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Preston Landolt said:
How exactly do I start a colony up like that
5.5 gal tank would probably suffice. Unless it gets extremely cold where you live, you won't need a heater but they do grow faster the warmer the water is. You can usually get the snails for free from petco or petsmart or an lfs. I feed my colony zucchini slices, carrots, bottom feeder pellets, etc. A piece of cuttlebone for calcium.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Some highlights from my own, in case you need any more convincing lol:

She bickers with my male EBA on occasion but they never hurt each other.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think medium size cichilds will do fine in your tank...Blue Acaras, rainbow cichilds, firemouth get up to about 5-6". As for personality...it's tough to figure out since they are cichilds. Some are really nice and mind their own business and others are really jerks too...

Bradley Moles

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wanted a puffer too but they are rude fin nippers and picky eaters.

I wanted a tank with no limits so I started with the Blood Parrot as my first intersting fish(very interesting at that). You can put almost anything with them.

They tend to get a little territorial but their mouths our deformed(hybrid fish) and they can’t bite other fish. I also have an Electric Blue Acara with mine.

Out of my 20+ fish in my 125 gallon, the blood parrot is by far my favorite and I got him for $10 as apposed to my expensive discus.

You will never regret the Blood Parrot. Trust me. Don’t do schooling fish, they are boring and mindless creatures.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I always thought of the blood parrot as an ugly mutant, and it pained me to look at it because the poor thing could not close its mouth.

Well now I know this fish a little differently. Thank you.

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Preston Landolt said:
I have been looking for a fish for a while now that has a grand personality. I want it to fit in a maximum of 75 gallons. I like oscars a lot, but want something more. I absolutely love puffer fish, but feeding them seem difficult and expensive. If there are any intermediate puffers that get around 6 inches and are not hard to care for let me know. I also like flowerhorn but I feel like they are not the best fit for me. Anything helps!
This is coming a bit biased from a freshwater lover (i’ve only owned 1 saltwater tank and i just did not enjoy it). You could try a female betta sorority with some community fish as fillers to make the tank look more full. I’d imagine they would look amazing in a 75, and you could keep a lot. Females aren’t as colorful so of course you could get a male instead for color, but all bettas have the puppy-dog personality. Guppies do as well but a plain guppy tank might be drab.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think we're all biased because so many gorgeous male Bettas are produced.

But if I had never seen a male betta I would certainly think that my females are all quite lovely little fish, and colorful too.

But it wasn't so when I was younger. Most female bettas were pretty small, dull browinsh fish.

The past 40 Years of betta breeding have done enormous things.

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ulu said:
I think we're all biased because so many gorgeous male Bettas are produced.

But if I had never seen a male betta I would certainly think that my females are all quite lovely little fish, and colorful too.

But it wasn't so when I was younger. Most female bettas were pretty small, dull browinsh fish.

The past 40 Years of betta breeding have done enormous things.
I agree. I didn’t mean to come off as against females! I have definitely seen some beautiful colorful ones, and the giants take my breath away. I prefer males simply because of their flowy fins, but even males can be bland sometimes. It really depends on where you’re getting the fish.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I wasn't blaming anyone in particular, but I just think it's a result of progress that we have become jaded in our obsessions.

I take it for granted the fabulous fish that I see being offered for $4~$12 that were simply unavailable 40 years ago.

But there are many many modern miracles people take for granted and they haven't existed 1/5 as long as I have.

It's not just the fish about which we have become jaded.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom