Personality?

1. RainMaker13

RainMaker13 Valued Member Member

My figure 8 puffer died today..... Its a sad day..... I loved him. But its time to move on. I want a fish with personality, thats readily available, and can live comfortably in my 20 long. Any suggestions?

2. T

ThaiCaliber Valued Member Member

Betta? Betta sorority? Dwarf puffers?

3. OP
    OP
    RainMaker13

RainMaker13 Valued Member Member

How many dwarfs can fit in a 20 gallon

4. T

TBH I'm not sure lol. I never kept them but one day lol. But it's nothing a quick google search can't solve!

5. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Dwarf Puffers have lots of personality, for the 1st puffer it's 5g and for every other puffer you add it's an additional 2g so IMO you could do 8 dwarf puffers.

6. T

8 sounds good. I wish I had room for more tanks now lol

7. Kenny777

Lol yeah I wish I can have them

8. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

One male and two or three females? They're territorial, so I'd err on the side of understocking. I've never kept them myself, so grain of salt.

9. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

No, 8 is not the best idea. Dwarf puffers are territorial, so they will fight often if you try to shove 8 into a 20 gallon.

10. Kenny777

Dwarfs are truly freshwater and don t need salt. If he gets 1 males for every 3 females the OP wouldn't have any problems. So 2 males and 6 females

I disagree he to just provide a lot of planting and hiding spots.

11. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

You've never heard the phrase "with a grain of salt" before? :emoji_laughing: It means to take something lightly.

12. Briggs

I meant to take my advice with a grain of salt, since I don't have any first hand experience with them? Perhaps I should have used the whole phrase considering the context here!

13. Kenny777

Oh lol nope I missed that in English class :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I haven't kept them, but one of the fish on my "someday" list is nannacara anomala, golden dwarf cichlid. From what I read, they are really interesting fish (like most cichlids). You could keep a pair in a 20 long, plus some other fish if you want a community. Laetacara curviceps/dorsigera or apistogramma would be neat, too :)

Or, go check out @Lchi87 's 20L shelldweller thread, those are awesome!

15. Kenny777

I know my bad not so good on phrases :p

16. Briggs

It's a common enough phrase in English, but I can see why the salt part would stand out to you in a discussion on fresh water puffers. I want to say the origin of the phrase has something to do with making poison? Or treating a poison? I looked it up once, but I think it's one of those that have 3 or 4 theories.

17. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Someone else actually knows about nannacara anomala on here? I've been looking for someone other than me to mention them ever since I joined Fishlore. Wish I could get my hands on them.

18. DeltaDawn37

DeltaDawn37 Valued Member Member

(I come on a fish website and I see Undertale Sans instead, What Is This :p )
    Anyway, dwarf cichlids in general are fun; I loved my neolamprologus brichardi to bits and a single pair of those would fit in a 20L I think, so if you're looking for something with looks and personality...

19. chibijeanbean17

chibijeanbean17 New Member Member

Just throwing it out there, my betta sorority is the most wonderful tank that has ever happened to my life and I can not wait to expand it. >_>

20. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

I agree with the comment about 8 dwarfs in a 20. Your looking at nothing but problems with that many. 3 max, also sense you have done puffers before I am sure you know about the need to feed them Snails to help with there teeth...
    I did not keep them but did some research and between the requirements for very clean water and the snail diet and knowing my time constants I opted out of them.

Good luck