Personality Differences In Fish From Different Sources

tracyree

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two sets of German Rams. One pair I got from a reputable breeder, the other from a lfs.

The ones from the breeder are always in the front of the tank, always eager for food, never hiding. The ones from the store ALWAYS hide.

I've had them about a month now, so they've had time to settle in. I'm amazed at the difference. I assume it's from breeding practices?? I guess there isn't anything I can do for the shy pair.

Stryphe89

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
GBR are notorious for being way over bred in the aquarium trade and are very prone to diseases much like dwarf gourami. I had the same issue with a pair I bought from my lfs. These are fish you definitely want to buy from a reputable source... always. Now, if only there were one near me... lol

tracyree

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GBR are notorious for being way over bred in the aquarium trade and are very prone to diseases much like dwarf gourami. I had the same issue with a pair I bought from my lfs. These are fish you definitely want to buy from a reputable source... always. Now, if only there were one near me... lol
Its really amazing the difference. The breeder wasn't near me, I had to have them shipped. Wish I hadn't have gotten the lfs ones, thy make me sad

Stryphe89

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah... you could try returning shy ones, then. Do you mind if I asked where you purchased your other GBR from?

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom