Personality Change?

Fish_Tails

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta Max used to love to interact with me, but for the past few months it seems like he looks at me like a threat. Whenever I approach his tank he flares at me and then swims away and hides. I know this sounds stupid but it seems like he hates me!

Is this normal for a healthy male betta?

LadyArtemis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Any bubble nests in the tank? What size tank is he in? He could just be getting excited because he has learned you mean food, or be in “spawning mode” if he is bubble nesting. If it seems really super aggressive out of nowhere it could be a water quality issue, too.

Fish_Tails

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Any bubble nests in the tank? What size tank is he in? He could just be getting excited because he has learned you mean food, or be in “spawning mode” if he is bubble nesting. If it seems really super aggressive out of nowhere it could be a water quality issue, too.
15 gallon, Blackwater, 5 nitrate, 0 ammonia, o nitrites. He makes bubble nests on and off. Doesn't seem to be ill, but he started eating significantly less around the time of his personality change.

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bettas are beautiful animal, but sometimes unpredictable, when faced with a major personality change, ask yourself questions such as these.

• When did he first start acting this way?
  • Did you add anything new into his tank before this?
  • Has he had a history of personality changes before?
  • What is your water change schedule? When did you last change the water?
  • Are there any females in a tank nearby?
  • Does his physical appearance look different?
  • Is there anything different about the tank, such as an oily sheen on top?
  • Does he have any ripped fins or weird looking peely scales?
Please answer these questions to help me determine the issue, sending a picture would be helpful too as I can check for symptoms of stress or disease.

LadyArtemis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is he the only fish in the tank? 15 gallons is a lot for one Betta. Places for him to hide in there or is it wide open? I agree with C & M the more details you can give the better

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like he is hitting the teenage yrs and just wants to be a pain to his parents. Give him the belt next time he misbehaves and he will quickly learn better.

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sounds like he is hitting the teenage yrs and just wants to be a pain to his parents. Give him the belt next time he misbehaves and he will quickly learn better.
Fish aren't like us, they have complex social structures but they don't rebel when they become a teenager.

When you say "Give him the belt next time he misbehaves" I hope you were joking.

wem21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fish aren't like us, they have complex social structures but they don't rebel when they become a teenager.

When you say "Give him the belt next time he misbehaves" I hope you were joking.
I think you missed the joke...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom