Personalities of different crays?

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by waterlilykari, Jul 15, 2015.

1. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

I have been considering for awhile now getting one of the crayfish we saw in a local specialty store but want to make sure I have all my bases covered with researching thoroughly before I do. It seems that everything I find about care of crayfish is in regard to meeting their needs (proper environment, temp, food, etc.) but little about personalities beyond the occasional mention of "they like to escape so make sure there aren't any openings they could climb out of."

Can anyone tell me a little about their personalities? More specifically, is there a difference in personalities between types? I know it will vary with each individual but I am looking into P. Alleni, P. Clarkii, or the dwarf cray species.

Also, I have seen a number of sites as I've been researching that mention not keeping RCS with them if you don't want them eaten. However, others say go for it, just keep a sizable colony so they will multiply as fast as the cray can go through them and call it a protein boost for the cray/entertainment for anyone that likes to watch them hunt. I know I'm probably opening a very controversial can of worms in asking but do any of the crayfish owners out there have an opinion either way? I'm just wondering what people actually feel about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Bump!

Thanks!

Ken

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would say that you would need to have the shrimp colony established before you add a crayfish to the tank. And I would only do dwarf crayfish. Larger ones are more likely to be aggressive.

4. OP
    OP
    w

Do the dwarf crays generally coexist peacefully with the shrimp then?

I was originally planning to have a cray-only tank until I saw that some sites seemed in favor of keeping shrimp or small fish in with them in order to beat replicate their natural food source, as well as claiming hunting helped keep them active and "the added bonus" of getting to watch as they hunt. Do you generally feel this is true or do you recommend against it?

When you say the larger crays are more likely to be aggressive, would it be a safe assumption that that includes towards people? Or would they learn to recognize their owners and react differently towards us? I'm sorry to ask so many questions but as I said, everywhere I have looked has had next to nothing on behavior beyond "escape-artist"

5. OP
    OP
    w

Eek! At a specialty fish store yesterday in San Francisco, I was admiring the crayfish they had while my son was taking his sweet time to pick a betta nearby. A passerby saw me admiring the electric blue crays and commented that I should get one of those for my son instead of a betta "because even the bigger ones like those you are checking out, they aren't going to need more than a 5 or 10 gallon anyway, even when they are full-grown because they don't get too active to require a bigger tank. The dinky little dwarf guys next to them are even easier, probably don't need much more than a betta kit to house one o' them little orange guys!" He grabbed the smallest plastic betta Kit I have ever seen off a high shelf and tried to offer it to me for the betta my son was picking out.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that he didn't stay long once he realized I was going to try to tell him a little bit (as politely as I could) about proper care not only for bettas but adequate space for the crays. I may not be an expert in crayfish but wow - 5 gallons for a 6 inch crayfish?!?! You've got to be kidding me! Even the owner was shaking his head at the exchange and I was glad to see him quiz the guy about his setup for the fish he was buying before ringing him up and refused to sell any to him when the answers he gave didn't turn out any better than his advice.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  6. l

lobstahlights Valued Member Member

I have a blue crayfish myself and she's full of personality - She plays with marbles, climbs on plants, and seems to give herself little bubble massages over the air stone. I think it'd be kinda awesome to watch her hunt little shrimp, but I've never done it.

They do hunt, but aggression is mostly territorial, I think. So when I walk up to my cray's tank, she usually dances up to the tank front snapping her claws at me telling me to get out of her space! lol not sure she realizes that I'm where food comes from yet, we might still have bonding to do.

7. Anders247

They'd probably eat baby shrimp.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Anders are you back?

9. Anders247

Yep.

10. OP
    OP
    w

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438505148.979795.jpg
    Still drooling over the little blue ones, lol. I have to wait at least until my quarantine tank is available again though before I make the move on one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice