Persistent Pesky Fin Rot/Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kniknik, Aug 5, 2015.

1. k

kniknik New Member Member

At least I think that's what it is? The first 2 pictures are from when I got him. The 3rd picture is from March this year. And the last 2 are from today. The length of his tail looks identical from March to now. He acts normal and happy, swimming around all excited and happy to see me. He's quite active, eats fine, attacks his reflection and whatnot.

I feel like I've tried EVERYthing to get this fish healthy. I've done Bettafix, Bettarevive, aquarium salt treatment... I got rid of the original plants shown in the pictures, got silk plants, threw those out 2 weeks ago. I'm pulling my hair out at this point. So I decided to get him into a larger filtered tank.

I just transferred him from a 3 gallon tank to a 10 gallon a week ago, after an aquarium salt treatment. He made a bubble nest for the first time, so I think he's really enjoying the extra space. I also added some Java Ferns to replace the fake plants.

What I want to know is: do you think this is fin rot? Or is it tail-biting? Are the white tips regrowth or further rot? Wahh. Maybe he'll do better in the 10 gallon. I was pretty religious with the water changes in the 3 gallon tank but perhaps I just didn't do enough. I just want your opinions. He acts so healthy. I'd appreciate any tips or thoughts. Thank you!

20140822_111825.png 20140822_111841.png 20150309_154113.png 20150805_203539.png 20150805_203553(0).png

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have Edited your title to include "Betta" and moved your thread to Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum. You can locate your threads by clicking on Quick Links in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on My Threads.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/131262-new-angel-fin-rot.html
    (reference post #12)

Check out the information in the links above while you wait for more responses.

Best wishes for your beautiful fish and I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken :)

3. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

-What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?
    -How "fast" is this progressing ie: is his tail fine when you go to bed and completely messed up when you wake up?
    -Is there any black or red edging to the tail?
    -Are any other fins damaged?

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Is it possible he's just a crown tail starting to develop? It doesn't quite look like fin rot to me personally, though I don't have first hand experience with it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Nice to have you here! :)

It doesn't quite look like fin rot to me, either. Fin rot looks like this:   As you can see from the image, it looks like a chunk has been taken out of the betta's tail, but I can't see that on yours.

Agree with poster #3's questions and what tail type is he?

6. OP
    OP
    k

Thank you for the replies! I will be able to get back about the levels in the tank by tomorrow. I appreciate the feedback.

Here are some better pictures of his tail, since I know the ones posted earlier weren't great.

I was taking a closer look at Boo and he seemed to do this weird thing where he'd lay his side on an object and then start thrashing around. I looked it up and it seems like velvet. I'm having so much trouble finding any information on this. Please give me your opinions if you could, I'm so worried. :/

I used Copper Power Green, the dose meant for disease. I added 1 ounce to the 10 gallons which was supposed to bring the level up to 1.25PPM... I tested the levels and it's not anywhere above .25. And I found that this level of copper would be dangerous but Copper Power Green uses a chelating agent so these levels are supposedly safe for the fish.

What should I do? Does this look like velvet? Spent all day running around and buying stuff, cleaning the tank, ugh, just worn out now and I cannot find any information regarding this issue other than scientific essays.

7. OP
    OP
    k

Thank you! To be honest, I'm really not sure what tail type he is. The label from petco just said "dragon scale betta". But the first 2 images on the thread are from when I got him, and I'm not sure if he was young or fully grown. :c

8. BornThisWayBettas

Velvet will look like a gold dusting atop the betta, does it look like that? Something like this:  

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Mine sorta thrashes when he's getting up after resting on something, on mine it just looks like he's producing momentum to haul his fins around (if that makes sense).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    k

Well, sort of. The reason I'm concerned is because there is a lot of yellow under his chin and near his gills, and I don't think I've ever seen that gold sheen on his tail until recently. It looks relatively solid and it's not uniform. Though I don't see tiny dust specks like the image you posted.

Could it be natural coloration/sheen? Wish I had better pictures from before I noticed this!

11. BornThisWayBettas

Is it possible for you to turn the flash off your camera and get another picture or two? I'm not seeing any gold dusting, though.

12. AuroraBetta

AuroraBetta New Member Member

I have had similar problems with fin rot in the past. You need to make sure your water is cycling. Buy a test kit (I use API Freshwater Master Kit $30) and check your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and Ph. I started using filtered freshwater that I purchased from an aquarium shop in place of treated tap water for my tank, and added in some Stress Zyme. My Betta's fins began to improve soon after.
    As for telltale signs of fin rot, I learned the hard way that there are two different types. Bacterial is what affects the tail in chunks as shown in some of the previous pictures posted to this thread. Fungal fin rot is different, and attacks the fin in a much more even type of pattern. If all else fails, there is a medicine that I have used for fin rot that has brought about significant improvement called Acurel. It should be sold at any local aquarium shop, but not at normal pet stores.
    Good luck!

13. BornThisWayBettas

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Nice to have you here, AuroraBetta! :)

14. AuroraBetta

AuroraBetta New Member Member

Thanks! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice