Persistent Ich On Blue Acara

Gretch2014

HI everyone! Sort of new here. My new electric blue acara came down with what appears to be ich about a week ago (got him about a month ago). To treat it, we raised the water temp to 84 and have been treating the tank with apI super ich cure (in half doses bc we also have 2 small albino bn Plecos). No one but the acara is affected by ich so far, but the ich is getting worse on him and I’m getting concerned. Is there anything else I could do? I’ve attached a picture of him.

Tank parameters/stocking:
40 gallon breeder
-7 Buenos Aires tetras
-2 albino Bristlenose Plecos
-1 electric blue acara
Ph, ammonia, nitrate, & nitrite all tested good for the past three weeks. Tank has been set up for 3 months and is cycled.

Five 97

The parasites look a little smaller than ich, but it might just be the viewpoint. Treating ich is a prolonged process that eradicates the parasites in various life stages, so it'll take a while. I would increase the tank's temperature to 86 degrees (fahrenheit) and leave it there for a full two week period, even if the fish eventually appear to be free of the parasite. I would also be doing thorough gravel vacs at least twice a week during this period to remove fallen ich spores. Here's a detailed sticky that explains it: ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment

I would also refrain from dosing any other medications other than salt during this treatment, as it could lead to other problems.

TexasGuppy

And run an airstone if possible, higher temps lead to lower oxygen levels.

Five 97

And run an airstone if possible, higher temps lead to lower oxygen levels.
Agreed with the above, higher temperatures do indeed lower the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water column which could be fatal if there isn't enough surface agitation.

Greg F

You absolutely need to raise two more degrees and get rid of the meds. Together they cause a ton of stress.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
MorganEFM
Replies
Views