Persistent Fin Rot On Female Betta In Community Tank Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ellaphant, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Ellaphant

Ellaphant New Member Member

I have a 20g high, planted community tank. About 2 weeks ago, there was a huge nitrate spike causing internal parasites, fin rots, and deaths in my tank. Now, this tank was recently put together so deaths among my new fish was foreseen. I lost two platys before I found that they had an internal parasite (white, stringy poop). I immediately did an AQ salt treatment for 10 days, doing 100% water changes. This seemed to get rid of most of my female betta's fin rot except one. During the salt treatment, I also did 4 paraguard dips everyday for one hour (stopped after I noticed improvement). After the salt treatment, I did a 100% water change, added stresscoat+, prime, and stability. I also added bettafix (halve the dose) at first, but then I read that it could be bad so I did an immediate 75% water change the day after.

Now I am not sure what to do at this point because I heard that salt treatment should stop at 10 days and no more. I have a few options but I want people's expertise on this:

1) Take out the female betta and treat with Kanaplex in a separate tank. I heard Kanaplex is a strong medication and I am not quite sure if it is a great idea to expose healthy fish to it.
    2) Treat with bettafix with a half the dose in a separate tank.
    3) More AQ salt treatment in a separate tank

I'm not even sure if separating a female betta from her sorority is the best idea but I really do not want to treat the entire tank with strong medications that they do not need. I also have Metroplex on hand, in case of anything.

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Maybe isolate female in clean tank do salt dips for 10 minutes until you see signs of regrowth (clear transparent fins)

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Have you considered hydrogen peroxide. Its a lot safer than most other treatments. And yes you can take her out of the tank treat her and put her back in.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would put her in her own tank - stress can make fish more susceptible to issues, and she is likely stressed. You have also thrown a lot of meds/treatment at her.

Moving her to her own tank will also let you increase the temp to 78 - 80 F (platies shouldn't be in temps this high). I would stop treating her with everything and just do daily 50% water changes in her own tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Ellaphant

Yes I have. I forgot to mention that I have Hydrogen Peroxide but haven't tried as I'm scared that I may slip and swab something else.

I have my tank at 78 degrees and platys are very active at this temp. It seems to be a good balance between bettas and platys. I also forgot to mention that I have been doing 25% daily water changes ever since I stopped all treatments. No signs of improvement in the fin rot. I will put her in a separate tank now and observe. But other than the fin rot, her behaviour has not changed at all (active, eats well, no aggression, etc.).

6. TexasDomer

It's a little too high for the platies, and too high of temps can shorten their lifespan.

I'm glad you're going to move her, but I would do 50% water changes - more can be better :) In a small tank, this shouldn't be much more work than 25%.

7. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Stop with salt right away. I know websites say to use this but this is one of the worst things to use for your betta. bettas don't have a high tolerbility to salt and you are doing more harm with the salt. Only if things get really bad do you do a salt dip where you dip the fish in salt water for 3 minutes. I would begin treatment with a herbal medication. Clean water and adding indian almond leaves to the water will greatly help decrease the fin rot. Another thing to know is that the fins will grow back, but not as big or as buetiful as before. think of it as a scar.

8. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Bettas don’t do well with salt, I second that. I had a real problem with a betta who had fin rot. I treated him for fungus on my own, and then a vet gave me an antibiotic bath. I think that helped some, but honestly water quality (extreme daily water changes, my last ditch...) turned out to be the biggest help. You would not want to do this in a community tank but I was doing 80% water changes per day and in a few weeks he was really healing up. So if you can set up some little nano tank with a little filter and heater and just change the heck out of that water, I think you’ll see some good results.

9. OP
    OP
    Ellaphant

I didn't know that AQ salt was bad for bettas. The only ones I knew was loaches, tetras, coreys, and so on. I did a lot of research before trying the treatment out and even inquired people on popular facebook groups for community tanks, betta fish, etc. All of them gave an okay. So I really didn't know that AQ salt was bad but it did work for me. One of my platys who was surfacing and losing colour immediately started to get better and stopped surfacing. All six out my seven female bettas had red/bloody tips, and it disappeared after Day 2 of the salt treatment. They also started regain their colour and grow their fins backs slowly. Since it did work for me, I saw no harm in it. As stated in the original post, all treatments have stopped (other than water changes) already. Will look into getting some Indian Almond leaves.

I already have her set up in a hospital tank that I have.

10. D

i recomend salt for alot of other species, just not bettas. What your describing is called a salt bath, which is where you add salt to the main aquarium. Like i said, salt dips are much less stressful to your betta. And sometimes, you do get a betta that salt works with, but i've found that many bettas are the opposite.

11. TexasDomer

Salt baths and dips are the same thing, as far as I'm aware. You shouldn't add salt to the tank for salt baths either.

12. D

salt bath is where you add salt to the aquarium, salt dips is where you dip the fish in salt water in a separate container

13. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

Definitely keep the female betta separated for the future if possible. Even female bettas get stressed by company -- even if they appear fine, they're most likely not, and that stress can make things a lot worse for them when it comes to illness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice