Persistent Bugs

Kslice

Reaction score
Ive had little creatures populating the exposed driftwood in my tank. I keep the driftwood partially exposed because I have a crab that needs some fresh air. Fortunately, he likes protein with his fresh air. However, I am curious what these hydrophobic bugs are. If they are dangerous and if so how to remove them without harming my invertes. A pic should help but I can describe them if needed.

Attachments

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmmm. They sort of look like termites, but I’m gonna guess that they’re white springtails because they look a lot like the ones I have in my bioactive vivariums. I don’t see them doing any harm to the fish/crab (as long as they’re springtails and not termites), and they’re pretty good for the wood actually - they’ll eat the fungus/mold that grows on it.

I would look up pictures of both white springtails and termites and you should be able to determine what you have there

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do these look like your pets?
BReefer97 said:
Hmmm. They sort of look like termites, but I’m gonna guess that they’re white springtails because they look a lot like the ones I have in my bioactive vivariums. I don’t see them doing any harm to the fish/crab (as long as they’re springtails and not termites), and they’re pretty good for the wood actually - they’ll eat the fungus/mold that grows on it.

I would look up pictures of both white springtails and termites and you should be able to determine what you have there
I was just going on what hubby said. I know the difference. I be blind so couldn’t see your pic. I will show the springtail pic to him. I don’t think he’ll be able to tell the difference. Lol

Attachments

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BReefer97 said:

springtails typical like dry wood

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They would have to go outside. Love bugs n stuff but there’s a whole world out there. I’d catch em all and take outside. Terrible right?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fanatic said:
Hi, you have white springtails, not termites
For the record the only one thinking termites was my hubby. Most bugs look the same to him. Lol

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rob Shannon said:
springtails typical like dry wood
Not really. The dry wood I have in my vivariums are untouched by my springtails. But when I mist the tanks down and the wood starts to grow some white fungus, the springtails are all over it. Pretty much the entire purpose of having them in my tanks, awesome clean up crew!

Edit: I had a brain fart. This is because these specific ones are a tropical species, the others may prefer dry wood.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom