Persistent betta fish fin rot

Chillifish11

Four months ago I got a delta tail male betta fish. He was housed in a 2.5 g tank with a filter and a heater. About two weeks later I noticed that his fins have tears in them, and the edges looked rusty and reddish, so I concluded he has a fin rot. I isolated him in a 1 g hospital tank without heater (the temperature in the room is around 76 F any was) or filter, but I changed his water every day. I treated him initially with aquarium salt and melafix, but when that didn't help I tried tetracycline, and a few weeks later kanaplex, which finally seemed to help. His fins seemed to get better, the reddish parts disappeared and I could see some new growth. After some time, since he looked quite unhappy and depressed in a hospital tank, I decided to return him back to his original tank that was cycled and had readings of 0 ammonia, 0 initiates, 0 nitrates. Two days later I noticed new tears and pinholes in his fins, so I returned him back to the hospital tank and started the treatment with aquarium salt again. When things got better again I bought a new 3 gallon tank for him, since the old one is now occupied by two ADFs. It is cycled (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings are 0), has heater and filter. Within two days of him being in the new tank his tail and even dorsal fin got totally ragged, like they are melting away and the edges look bloody. Otherwise, he seems pretty happy, he built a pyramid of a nest in the tank corner, he eats like a pig, swims happily around and since I got him he almost doubled in size. I am totally out of my depth here and don't know what to do anymore. I wanted to give him a nice home where he could be happy, but the only place where he seems to do ok is a betta bowl. The only thing that I didn't mention so far is that one of his pectoral fins was curling and twisted already when I got him, so I guess he might have some genetic flaw or predisposition for fin issues. Another thing that might be the cause of his fin problems is his behaviour - I noticed that he likes to get in to tight places and crawl between the things like plants, filter and tank wall, heater wire and the tank wall. Did anyone experience something similar? I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice on how to proceed here.

Bahamut

Have you noticed the fin rot progressing towards his body? Or does it just seem to be an area of disappeared fin that doesn't get any better or worse? Around June I left on vacation and came back to find my betta's tail to be noticeably shorter. I thought it was fin rot but from what I had read, fin rot progresses quickly unless treated and it just wasn't progressing in my case. Later on I found out that many Bettas are actually tail biters and will bite off pieces of their tail out of boredom (or maybe they just find themselves tasty ) Bettas are pretty smart curious fish but because of that they get bored. If you add new plants, decorations, toys, or switch up the layout of their tank, they'll spend their time exploring rather than nibbling on themselves. I would just watch him without treating him to make sure its not fin rot. Also if you're looking to promote fin growth make sure his water is clean and warm and I was recommended feeding my betta New Life Spectrum Thera - A. It has garlic which helps support a fish's immune system. Best fish food I've used IMO. I started using it about a month ago and all my fish are bright colored and active and my Betta's tail is growing back too Hope this helps

Bahamut

Oh and also, make sure any decorations in his tank aren't sharp in any way. I had this plastic plant which was pretty flexible, but it did have almost like a spiky fan appearance on each of the leaves. He loved that plant and would always lie on it but one day I found a piece of his fin caught in-between the leaves. Silk plants, live plants, or rounded plastic plants seem to be the best. Also some decorations have sharp edges on the inside make sure you file those down and wash off the residue with water before putting them into your tank

Teishokue

if you fix the problem you won't have the issue. find the problem and you can fix the issue

in this case, it is water quality.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigFish99
Replies
Views
Carolann
Replies
Views
Bettalover29
Replies