Persistent Bacterial Infection

1. d

dkmiller3356 New Member Member

I have a 175 gallon community tank. Its been up and stable for about 13 years. One of my original fish, a parrot, now has what I can best describe as a recurring bacterial infection. I have never seen anything like this before. Imagine large zits and swelling and then they pop an grow somewhere else. Sometimes the swilling is massive and the white heads get large. Other times there is less swelling and puss just leaks out. This began about 6 months ago.

No other fish have been effected and the tank seems fine. In fact, the parrot - other than looking grotesque - seems fine as well. She eats and swims and interacts normally.

My chemical levels are all in normal parameters. PH is 7.0.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Any suggestions? I have already tried 2 courses of melafix with no impact.

10369214_10203955359792492_3340324258215672853_n.jpg

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I can't view the link...

3. April R

April R Well Known Member Member

try uploading the pic by clicking the Add image to post link below the reply box.

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Dkmiller, I would look into lymphocystis based on the description you provided. Best of luck.

5. OP
    OP
    d

dkmiller3356 New Member Member

I uploaded and added a pic. To be honest it is worse now than before. There is a huge swelling or bump on the side of her head.

6. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Can you set up a hospital tank for her? I know it's hard given her size and that it'll be a big change of environment for her. The main reason would be to keep the other fish from picking it up from her and not to medicate her.