Persistant Worsening Fin Rot

easternsierra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My Betta Finnagen has always look a bit rough. He had a battle with velvet this Feburary and recovered pretty well with Seachem Kupramine. Lately his fins have been looking pretty haggard, with pinholes starting to form. I'm not sure if he has melt or rot...

He is in a heated, filtered, cycled 5.5G tank and gets a 25-30% WC weely. I tested water parameters this morning:

Temp: 78F
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: around 5ppm

I haven't added any salt/medications yet since I dont know what I'm dealing with yet

9ss58j.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
easternsierra said:
Thanks! I've been doing 50% WC daily and added Vitachem, Fish Protector and IAL. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon
Good start. Update tomorrow evening? I had a Rottie named Finnegan. Tough guy. Hopefully the name helps your betta! I’ll be worrying with you.

easternsierra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Day Three Update: Ugh, his fin rot seems even worse! I've added VitaChem into his water, replacing the dose I took out with every 50% WC. He's getting thawed blood worms soaked in Vita Chem as well.

He is still acting normal, but his fins are worse. Pinholes are forming in his dorsal as well as analfin. I was thinking about putting him in a 2 gallon tank and starting to treat with Methylene Blue. I'm not sure if this is the best method. Does anyone have other suggestions? I've never had such difficulty getting rid of fin rot before!

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
easternsierra said:
Day Three Update: Ugh, his fin rot seems even worse! I've added VitaChem into his water, replacing the dose I took out with every 50% WC. He's getting thawed blood worms soaked in Vita Chem as well.

He is still acting normal, but his fins are worse. Pinholes are forming in his dorsal as well as analfin. I was thinking about putting him in a 2 gallon tank and starting to treat with Methylene Blue. I'm not sure if this is the best method. Does anyone have other suggestions? I've never had such difficulty getting rid of fin rot before!
Do you have or can you get kanamycin and furan 2?

easternsierra

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have both here, I only have experience with Kanaplex. I'm hestiant to use heavy duty meds after I had to use Kupramine on him just a few months ago for Velvet. Isn't Methlyene blue milder?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
easternsierra said:
I have both here, I only have experience with Kanaplex. I'm hestiant to use heavy duty meds after I had to use Kupramine on him just a few months ago for Velvet. Isn't Methlyene blue milder?
Yes. Mblue is milder. You can try it in the two gallon. If he starts getting worse instead of better, you’ll have the kanamycin and furan 2 ready.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you end up needing the kanaplex/furan 2 this is the dosing schedule:

Day one dose kanaplex/furan 2
Day two dose furan 2
Day three twenty five percent wc, dose kanaplex/furan2
Day four dose furan 2
Day five twenty five percent wc, dose kanaplex/furan 2
Day six no meds.