Peroxide dip for my Anubias

Charlie’s Dad

Member
Hello to all...
I had been watching the algae on my anubias leaves for a a while now. I had been limiting the lights and also did a few black outs also.

Finally got the nerve up to do a peroxide dip on it. I did 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water for 6 minutes.

I rinsed it well and replaced it in the tank.

My question is does the algae fall off fade away ?
 

Fisch

Member
What kind of algae? You could not wipe, brush it off during the dip?
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
Umm not sure.... It's on the edge of the leaves.16012480210219210356106361370016.jpg
 

StarGirl

Member
Looks like BBA, It will turn redish pink if the peroxide killed it. It may take a bit.
 

jake37

Member
Have to be careful here - if the concentration is too strong you can kill all the leaves.
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
Ok....so should I do another dip next water change? The rhizome itself really cleaned up. It was all black and now its beautiful light green.
 

Fisch

Member
jake37 said:
Have to be careful here - if the concentration is too strong you can kill all the leaves.
1:3 dilution is the recommended dose, so it should be fine. Just bleached my Anubia today, am curious how that will turn out.
 

Fisch

Member
Charlie’s Dad said:
Ok....so should I do another dip next water change? The rhizome itself really cleaned up. It was all black and now its beautiful light green.
You may want to wait a bit and see how it develops after the peroxyde bath.
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
Fisch said:
1:3 dilution is the recommended dose, so it should be fine. Just bleached my Anubia today, am curious how that will turn out.
So did you use bleach? Or peroxide?

I will continue to monitor lighting and fertilizing too. I don't want to feed the algae.

What do you guys use for feeding your plants?
 

Flyfisha

Member
Hi all,
Hydrogen Peroxide is sold in multiple different percentages in my country. Over the counter anyone can buy 3% 6% and sometimes 8%.

I have found 3% to be a bit strong when sprayed on to some plants.Even with a rinse after 60 seconds it does kill some plants .
I have found 1.5% to be enough to kill most algae when spraying on leaves outside the tank. I have found 3%safe when squirting at point blank range underwater.Tank water is used to thin down to 1’5%
I have never seen or owned a bottle big enough to dip an entire plant? That seems like a waste?
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
I did the mix in a bucket. I didn't have to use the whole bottle :confused: .

I am going to see how it is doing in a couple of weeks. I may do a direct attack with a syringe if it is not retreating.:)
 

Pfrozen

Member
Welp I just bathed my anubias in undiluted 3% solution today so hopefully it doesnt die :/
 

Fisch

Member
Pfrozen said:
Welp I just bathed my anubias in undiluted 3% solution today so hopefully it doesnt die :/
For how long? And did you rinse afterwards?
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
If it was a quick dip maybe not. Did your algae run like a scalded dog?
 

Pfrozen

Member
Fisch said:
For how long? And did you rinse afterwards?
I sprayed it until it was soaked and spent a minute or two gentle rubbing the leaves in some water.. I rinsed it 3-4 times after that and then rinsed it one more time in conditioned water. Total contact time with the peroxide was probably a minute at least :/ it looks fine in the tank but maybe itll be dead when I wake up :/
 

Fisch

Member
Charlie’s Dad said:
So did you use bleach? Or peroxide?

I will continue to monitor lighting and fertilizing too. I don't want to feed the algae.

What do you guys use for feeding your plants?
I used both in the past, mostly for new plants to prevent snail infestation.
Now I bleached them in the attempt to get rid of staghorn algae.
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
Pfrozen said:
I sprayed it until it was soaked and spent a minute or two gentle rubbing the leaves in some water.. I rinsed it 3-4 times after that and then rinsed it one more time in conditioned water. Total contact time with the peroxide was probably a minute at least :/ it looks fine in the tank but maybe itll be dead when I wake up :/
Come on don't think negative man.... If you see no adverse effects by now its probably going to be ok. :)
 
  • Thread Starter

Charlie’s Dad

Member
I have purchased some plants from Vishaquatics to spruce up my tank. I am tired of the blah look.:banghead:

Fortunately I have had no problems with keeping our fish nice and healthy. The plants are a different story.o_O
 

jake37

Member
If it is impacted it will take 2 to 5 weeks to show; won't kill it just might kill most of the leaves.

Pfrozen said:
I sprayed it until it was soaked and spent a minute or two gentle rubbing the leaves in some water.. I rinsed it 3-4 times after that and then rinsed it one more time in conditioned water. Total contact time with the peroxide was probably a minute at least :/ it looks fine in the tank but maybe itll be dead when I wake up :/
 

JustAFishServant

Member
Hoping to get more information about using peroxide solutions! I have only cleaned plants with warm water and a gentle scrub, never using bleach or peroxide. I prefer having Snails in my tanks (unless the Goldies eat them) and don't usually have algae issues on the leaves so I didn't think there was a need for it. Since starting up the rescue about 5 years ago I didn't use live plants in my hospital tanks, however I've since started doing so and am now afraid the plants may "absorb" the disease, so I've decided I think I will try peroxide-ing after every new rescue, just in case. I've started thinking about using the peroxide method on the fish as well (you know, to kill diseases and parasites), but my question is, can I treat both the plants and fish at the same time using peroxide? Maybe not necessarily in the same container, but will the recommended concentration for fish also work with plants? What is the dose for fish? I've heard 1 part peroxide to 8 parts water, and 3.4 mL to 1/2 gallon of water. What is your dose?

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm truly curious about this method. Any answers will definitely help! If not I'll consider making a new post about this :)
 

RayClem

Member
Flyfisha said:
Hi all,
Hydrogen Peroxide is sold in multiple different percentages in my country. Over the counter anyone can buy 3% 6% and sometimes 8%.

I have found 3% to be a bit strong when sprayed on to some plants.Even with a rinse after 60 seconds it does kill some plants .
I have found 1.5% to be enough to kill most algae when spraying on leaves outside the tank. I have found 3%safe when squirting at point blank range underwater.Tank water is used to thin down to 1’5%
I have never seen or owned a bottle big enough to dip an entire plant? That seems like a waste?
In the USA, the standard concentration of hydrogen peroxide is 3% unless you get the strong stuff used by hairdressers and the even stronger stuff you can purchase for use in swimming pools; the strong stuff is 35% which is way to strong for aquarium use.

By using 3% hydrogen peroxide and diluting 1 part peroxide to 2 parts water, you get a 1% solution which is good if you are treating plants outside the tank. If you are spraying inside the tank full of water, you should be able to use the 3% concentration as tank water will quickly dilute it.

I have also heard that a 50:50 blend of 3% hydrogen peroxide and Seachem Excel is a wonderful treatment for BBA if sprayed in the tank. Just do not add any more Excel than the recommended dose for the aquarium size.
There is a YouTube video from the folks at Tropica that recommends using Excel as a treatment for BBA, but only as a plant dip. They do not recommend it for use in the aquarium itself.

 

Flyfisha

Member
I think you should start your own thread mate?

I think you need some serious help with this idea of plants absorbing diseases .
I have ever heard of such a thing?

You we need to do lots of research before adding any hydrogen peroxide to any tank. My comments were for 3% cut down to 1-5 % for some plants and rinsing immediately. And only using very small doses.
You are taking a big risk even thinking about what you suggest
This link is to one of only a few people that add this product to shrimp and fish tanks.

Be careful
 
Top Bottom