Permanent Swim Bladder Disease?

Scotia
I’ve had my Betta for a little over a year now. He lives by himself in a filtered and heated 10 gallon aquarium. I have tested ammonia consistently at 0. For the longest time I thought Bettas were supposed to struggle to swim to deeper water (stupid I know. This is my first fish), but resently I found out about SBD. I fasted his for 3 days and his condition didn’t change. Instead of putting him back to regular meals I have been giving only about one-two Betta pellets a day for about the past week. He hasn’t gotten any better I don’t remember him always struggling this badly, is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Advertisement
georgelee1000
Try feed him green beans and frozen Daphnia. They are laxatives for them.

Advertisement
Scotia

A7C1CC54-7D1D-48BD-985A-5605E00554F5.jpeg

Scotia
Does anyone else have any input? I can include more pictures. I just want my little guy to get better if possible

Suesahn
Does anyone else have any input? I can include more pictures. I just want my little guy to get better if possible
Hi

I'm fairly new to this so not sure I'm much help but what makes you think he has SBD? What are your other water parameters? Nitrites? Nitrates?

Scotia
Hi

I'm fairly new to this so not sure I'm much help but what makes you think he has SBD? What are your other water parameters? Nitrites? Nitrates?
He floats constantly (sometimes on his side) and struggles to swim below the water surface. I haven’t tested nitrates or nitrites. I figured they wouldn’t be a problem since I do regular water changes.

Advertisement

Scotia
Hi

He floats constantly (sometimes on his side) and struggles to swim below the water surface. I haven’t tested nitrates or nitrites. I figured they wouldn’t be a problem since I do regular water changes.

Suesahn
I would be tempted to check them just to rule out water quality as an issue. Also what temp is the tank? Sometimes raising the temp can help x

Scotia
I would be tempted to check them just to rule out water quality as an issue. Also what temp is the tank? Sometimes raising the temp can help x
I’ll go check them now I have the kit. My temp right now is 78.3 F.

Scotia
Nitrates at 5 ppm and Nitrites at 0 ppm

Advertisement

Suesahn
I’ll go check them now I have the kit. My temp right now is 78.3 F.
If he has always been like that it may be genetic and nothing you can do about it but if its getting worse it suggests something else is going on x

Suesahn
Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to help more.

Scotia
Hopefully someone else will come along and be able to help more.
He hasn’t always been this bad I have a video of him from a couple months ago swimming at the bottom I guess it happened so gradually I didn’t realize there was a problem. But thank you for trying to help

Suesahn
He hasn’t always been this bad I have a video of him from a couple months ago swimming at the bottom I guess it happened so gradually I didn’t realize there was a problem. But thank you for trying to help
The only other thing I read was that they can fill themselves up with air if they feed from the surface. Toy can try presoaking food or sinking food and see if that makes any difference x

Scotia
The only other thing I read was that they can fill themselves up with air if they feed from the surface. Toy can try presoaking food or sinking food and see if that makes any difference x
Thanks I’ll try soaking his food

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views
Amccurry
Replies