Perhaps the Cycling JINX is working again.

voiceless_kat
Member
So, I dumped the Bio Spira into my tank last night and set out this morning to get my fish. Got there, everything in the store is under quarantine. So no fish, Well, I am thankful that I didn't get a fish prior to the quarantine.

So can't get a fish until next week now, the end of the week, so what happens to the cycle??? ( 3 G Eclipse) Marineland rep, whom I spoke with on the phone, said it would be ok, add a little more Bio Spira next week prior to adding the fish. Also said I didn't have to add fish food or anything else during the week, and that the cycle may take a bit longer, but it would be fine.

How much should we wager that I get screwed up again??? :-\ I do have lots of Bio Spira on hand, and I will call in some karma to help me not have to deal with screwed up cycles!!!

Val
 
Luniyn
Member
I don't know, I think I would still add some ammonia (via fish food) to the tank just to keep the tank cycled since you already dumped in the Bio-Spira. Of course the tank would be "fine" if left alone and you added more Bio-Spira next week, that's because what you added already would have just died off and you would be adding new. But considering how expensive it is, I would at least attempt to keep it cycled. That's just my 2 cents.
 
capekate
Member
OOOOHHHH GAWD....

It can only happen to you.... jeesh! So keeping my fingers crossed that the bio spira will be ok. But I agree, its a good thing you didnt get a betta just yet! Hope they will be fine when you go next week! ;D
~ kate
 
  • Thread Starter
voiceless_kat
Member
Luniyn said:
I don't know, I think I would still add some ammonia (via fish food) to the tank just to keep the tank cycled since you already dumped in the Bio-Spira. Of course the tank would be "fine" if left alone and you added more Bio-Spira next week, that's because what you added already would have just died off and you would be adding new. But considering how expensive it is, I would at least attempt to keep it cycled. That's just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your two cents!! Going to the cabin for the weekend, but I tend to agree with you, and will put some bloodworms in before we go and then start again on Sunday.!! Thanks.
 
  • Thread Starter
voiceless_kat
Member
Hey guys.................always need to share good news!!! yesterday I went and bought a roommate for my soon to be little girl betta ( I hope) which I wanted to have in the tank before she comes home. Well, I didn't test the water first, which had been Bio Spira'd last week, and although I meant to, I didn't feed all week.

I couldn't find an oto, so ended up with a teeny tiny bronze cory, named Sammy. Wow, is he small ( 1 inch). Anyway, while I was acclimating him, I added 5ml of Bio Spira, just to be sure. After he had been in the tank about an hour, he started going mental - I mean really, mental. I could hardly follow him...he made Wink Jack Sparrow look like he was standing still.

I quickly tested the water, thinking I may be killing the little guy. Well, parameters were Ammon 0ppm; Nitrites 0pp, and Nitrates 5ppm.!!!!

Okay, I wasted 5ml, but what the heck it was already open. Fast forward to crazy lady dancing off the cycling curse and now acting as crazy as all the fish!!

Sammy settled down after lights out. This morning, he is just sitting there being cool. IN A CYCLED TANK!!!

Anyway, had to let you guys who have been helping me break the curse, that it worked, I now have all cycled tanks, and wish I could help those others who are having trouble. Thanks from me and the fish family!!.

God was very smart when she made Bio Spira!

Val
 
armadillo
Member
HI Val (sorry to pee on your fire, like we say in my neck of the woods ) but there's a tiny possibility that it's not cycled, so just a word of caution to keep watching those water parameters. Maybe I've read too quick, but if I understand correctly, you've been trying to cycle for 1 week only? I often get that in the first 2 weeks of the cycle: a'nia 0 n'ites 0 n'ates 10 or more, then the ammonia starts kicking in. I hope am wrong!
 
  • Thread Starter
voiceless_kat
Member
armadillo said:
HI Val (sorry to pee on your fire, like we say in my neck of the woods ) but there's a tiny possibility that it's not cycled, so just a word of caution to keep watching those water parameters. Maybe I've read too quick, but if I understand correctly, you've been trying to cycle for 1 week only? I often get that in the first 2 weeks of the cycle: a'nia 0 n'ites 0 n'ates 10 or more, then the ammonia starts kicking in. I hope am wrong!
Please say it isn't true! I put Bio Spira in last Thursday ( 1 week ago ) since I thought I would have my little girl betta in a few days. Well that didn't happen. So I added more ( as per Marineland) prior to putting Sammy in yesterday. This is in line exactly with how my 10 gallon cycled and what Marineland tech told me to expect. Hopefully, it is cycled/cycling, but I will heed your advice and keep checking parameters.

Val
 
capekate
Member
HI Val
well, I think your tank is cycled!! I'm wondering if maybe Armadillo didnt notice your post where you said you had added bio spira. I wouldnt think that a tank was cycled in a week without the bio spira either. But you have that.. you have added it and I believe that your tank is cycled. Just wish that you had added fish food to the tank tho.. hmmm.... but your water readings are fine. As for lil ole sammy there acting like a manic... well, when I brought home my cory's they did the same thing. They were all over the place. like little firecrackers... I think its just their behavior, mine also calmed down after awhile, but still would shoot up to the surface and back down like two lightening bolts! They are cute lil things aren't they? I had named mine, rocket and star ( as in shooting star lol). They didnt last long tho...
Well... its THURSDAY!!! I sure hope that next time you come online that you will be telling us all about your new baby girl!!! ;D I really hope you find one....
take care, kate
 
  • Thread Starter
voiceless_kat
Member
capekate said:
HI Val
well, I think your tank is cycled!! I'm wondering if maybe Armadillo didnt notice your post where you said you had added bio spira. I wouldnt think that a tank was cycled in a week without the bio spira either. But you have that.. you have added it and I believe that your tank is cycled. Just wish that you had added fish food to the tank tho.. hmmm.... but your water readings are fine. As for lil ole sammy there acting like a manic... well, when I brought home my cory's they did the same thing. They were all over the place. like little firecrackers... I think its just their behavior, mine also calmed down after awhile, but still would shoot up to the surface and back down like two lightening bolts! They are cute lil things aren't they? I had named mine, rocket and star ( as in shooting star lol). They didnt last long tho...
Well... its THURSDAY!!! I sure hope that next time you come online that you will be telling us all about your new baby girl!!! ;D I really hope you find one....
take care, kate

Yikes, Kate, what do you mean, they didn't last long................did they die??? What were the circumstances???
 
capekate
Member
<Yikes, Kate, what do you mean, they didn't last long................did they die??? What were the circumstances??? >

g'morning Val,
don't want to panic you... its just that corys are very sensitive. My water perameters were fine.. no hostile tankmates, they were swimming all over the place and seemed fine. The third day, lost one for no apparent reason, and then about two days or so later, lost the other one. They didnt act strange or sick before hand, so I have no idea what happened to them. I haven't bought anymore since.
~ kate
 
  • Thread Starter
voiceless_kat
Member
Just an update: I tested water parameters of this Bio Spira'd tank tonight, and it is Ammon. 25; Nitrite 0; and Nitrate 5ppm. I would believe it is safe to say we are cycled!! Whew. So far the corys, Sammy & Scooter are doing great, raising **** zooming around the tank and chowing down on their shrimp pellets.

I can see, however, that much attention will have to be paid to the tank, since they miss a lot of food that falls between the substrate. My bettas are all hand-fed, and very, very rarely do they miss or drop a piece of food. I am using a turkey baster to pick up uneaten bits after several hours.

Holding my breath...........thanking Bio Spira................Val
 
armadillo
Member
Wow, I want me some of that 'gold in a bottle'!!!
capekate said:
HI Val
well, I think your tank is cycled!! I'm wondering if maybe Armadillo didnt notice your post where you said you had added bio spira. I wouldnt think that a tank was cycled in a week without the bio spira either. But you have that.. you have added it and I believe that your tank is cycled. Just wish that you had added fish food to the tank tho.. hmmm.... but your water readings are fine. As for lil ole sammy there acting like a manic... well, when I brought home my cory's they did the same thing. They were all over the place. like little firecrackers... I think its just their behavior, mine also calmed down after awhile, but still would shoot up to the surface and back down like two lightening bolts! They are cute lil things aren't they? I had named mine, rocket and star ( as in shooting star lol). They didnt last long tho...
Well... its THURSDAY!!! I sure hope that next time you come online that you will be telling us all about your new baby girl!!! ;D I really hope you find one....
take care, kate
 
armadillo
Member
I'll have to get a hold of BioSpira. That sounds really great!
voiceless_kat said:
Just an update: I tested water parameters of this Bio Spira'd tank tonight, and it is Ammon. 25; Nitrite 0; and Nitrate 5ppm. I would believe it is safe to say we are cycled!! Whew. So far the corys, Sammy & Scooter are doing great, raising **** zooming around the tank and chowing down on their shrimp pellets.

I can see, however, that much attention will have to be paid to the tank, since they miss a lot of food that falls between the substrate. My bettas are all hand-fed, and very, very rarely do they miss or drop a piece of food. I am using a turkey baster to pick up uneaten bits after several hours.

Holding my breath...........thanking Bio Spira................Val
 
Xtreme_B
Member
Where do you all get Biospira from? I can't find it in any Petstore around here and to get it online with shipping is kinda expensive.
 
  • Thread Starter
voiceless_kat
Member
Xtreme_B said:
Where do you all get Biospira from? I can't find it in any Petstore around here and to get it online with shipping is kinda expensive.
Exactly the problem. I live in Canada, and found it in an online store on the west coast. -Fosters & Smith sell it, and it is expensive with the overnight shipping.* US only) I just happened on this fish store ( Bemidji, Minnesota) and on a whI'm asked, and be darned if he didn't sell it. $13.99. I bought one pack, came home ( 3 hours) dumped it into my new 10g, dumped in the fish and was cycled!!

Then I went back for more, set up another betta tank, dumped in 5mls ( 3 gallon Eclipse) and next day put my cory in. Cycled.

Before the first time, I was so frustrated trying to cycle,( there is another post on this board from me and this experience) I was going to pay the $40 to order it online. I asked the guy who runs the Fed Ex/UPS agent store in Minnesota ( just over the border) if he would accept the overnight ship and refrigerate for me, and he said he would. the next day I went down and found it, so didn't have to order. But in a word or two.....It is worth every penny. Dump it in....done. I was worried since some had posted it hadn't worked, but I have been lucky. (touch wood.) Now that I know, I would pay whatever it costs to not have to cycle the old way.

But if you are patient, or have a tank from which you could seed a new tank, I might have tried, but I guess I just like the fast results, fish in tank, everything's good!!!

Val
 
Xtreme_B
Member
Yeah I'd like to put fish in the tank right away too,cause I'm not very patient.I started to cycle fishless for the first time on Sunday.The water is turning cloudy today,so I will see how long it will take.And if it's to long I will order some Biospira.And thank you for answering my questions.

Susanne
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom