Perfect setup for crabs/fiddlers and shrimp?

1. RonDutt Member Member

I'm thinking of starting another tank after the holiday season is over (now that I've upgraded my 29g to a 75g :D) and was wondering what the perfect setup would be for some brackish (or saltwater?) crabs and shrimp? This will be a purely invert setup (unless fish would be beneficial). I would love to get a "low profile" type aquarium, if available. Would these be okay? By low profile I mean 6-8inches tall vs full on 1ft-2ft aquarium height. Also, what are some good crabs and shrimp to stock it with? I would like to keep the top open but some shrimp sure are jumpy! I was tempted to start a large saltwater tank but it seems to be a little too much for me. I don't make it home some days and having two tanks to look after on a daily basis would be too much. From what I've read, an invert tank doesn't need much looking after so it would be perfect.

EDIT: I was also curious as to what kind of filtration would be required? If there are enough bacteria in the substrate and the tank is planted, would a filter even be needed?

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I would love a crab tank. :) So tempting. I've looked into it a million times. Just haven't caved yet.

Fiddler crabs are a popular pet crab. They do require brackish water. Actually, a 5-10g tank would be fine for them. Add a rounded tablespoon of marine salt to 5 gallons of water and you'll have perfect brackish water for them.

They DO need access to land. You could have a floating land thing with an anchor for them to climb, or you could do a sloped substrate so part of it is above the water. They will climb a filter and they are escape artists, so a lid is a must!

You don't need a filter if you don't do much water (this means no shrimp). But the water needs changed to keep it fresh.

Here's an info sheet on fiddler crabs: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/a/fiddlercrabs.htm

I've read that it's hard to keep more than one crab because they will fight and the dominant one will kill the smaller ones. No personal experience with them, though.

Ghost shrimp are great for brackish waters. I've had about twenty or so in my 55g brackish for months. Shrimp need water, though. And they may become crab food. I'm not sure if those two would work well together. Any fish you put with the crab would also become a snack. It pretty much has to be species-only. But that's not so bad if it's just a 5g tank anyway. :)

3. RonDutt Member Member

Hmm, maybe I should go with a purely shrimp tank. How much water (level) do they really need? Do FW shrimp acclimate over time to brackish?

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

An all shrimp tank would be sweet! I figure about five shrimp per gallon. A few more wouldn't hurt really. Give them some plants and decor to crawl on and explore.

I got my ghost shrimp from freshwater and brought them home and just dumped in my brackish tank without problems. BUT ghost shrimp (a.k.a. glass shrimp) are meant to move between fresh and brackish as a part of their natural reproductive cycle. They can thrive well in either condition.

Purely freshwater shrimp, like cherry or wood shrimp, will not survive brackish water.

:;hf You've got me seriously considering setting up my own fiddler tank, though. ;)

5. RonDutt Member Member

I would go cherry but they're fairly pricey here :( Glass (grass?) shrimp are about $0.27/each (not feeder shrimp, those are about $0.10/each), whilst RCS are $3.50/each.

Would love to get a no-filter tank setup for shrimps...I see a 20g on Craigslist for $10 too...maybe a fiddler tank too? :D

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

if i were you i would just go with a fiddler carb tank. if i got a tank i would add 1 male molly and 3 females. the fish do good in barackish water and the crabs eat their fry(i am pretty sure they will) just stay away from copper in the water

7. RonDutt Member Member

Sadly there's no way for me to get a hold of fiddler crabs around here (Bellingham, Washington) aside from special ordering it from the LFS or online. My options are limited to RCS, CRS, bumble bee shrimp, blueberry shrimp, ghost shrimp, algae eating shrimp (look just like ghost...). From what I could see, none of the three LFS locations had any other kind of invert :( Being winter (found snow on a random hill today...) I don't want to risk shipments...even with heat packs.

8. fishdude360 Member Member

wait a sec you can keep fiddlers with mollies

i did not know that

:animal0068:I've merged your two posts.
    Thanks!
    Ken

9. Sarrixx Member Member

i know you are reluctant to ship in some inverts, but if you can, get your hands on Brown Back Crabs. They are completely freshwater! And they keep the tank pretty spankin clean :D But just like any crab they come up to the surface for air occasionally (although I have a friend who has kept 3 or 4 brown backs in a 6 foot cichlid set up without any access to surface air for over a year) but access to the air would be best.