Perfect Parameters .... Yeah Right! What's Up? Help 

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I have had my 55 gallon tank set up for about 4-5 weeks now. On every water test I get the same readings of 0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia. My pH is hanging out between 7.0 and 7.2. I am using the API master test kit for water testing. I have done partial water changes using Prime and Stability to condition the water. So, my concern is why is there no nitrate readings?

I have also had the water checked at the store and they keep telling me it is okay not to have nitrates, but here on the forum, if I am understanding what I am reading, there should always be some nitrate reading in a cycled tank. Can anyone please clarify?

The fish seem happy and good lord their appetites don't seem affected. No one is behaving oddly, but I just want to make sure I don't wake up one morning with a bunch of sick or dead fish. :-[

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you have live plants? Is your nitrate kit still good?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I haven't already, welcome to Fish Lore!

You have to shake the ever living snot out of the nitrate #2 bottle for at least 30 seconds. Some people here actually hit it on a table just for good measure. Then you have to shake the ever living snot out of the test tube for at least 60 seconds.

If you don't have plants, you should definitely have nitrates in a cycled tank. The nitrates are the end result of the process.

IIRC, Seachem Stability can mess with a cycle.

-Lisa

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

I agree with everything mentioned by Lisa. And like Lisa, my first suspicion would be that you aren't shaking bottle #2 enough.

I have never used Stability, but I wonder if the bacteria in Stabilty converts
ammonia-->nitrites and nitrites-->nitrates.

I do know that the bacteria in Stabilty is not the same bacteria that occurs naturally in an aquarium, so it is possible it behaves differently.

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, I am "shaking the snot" out of bottle #2. That valuable little tidbit of information I learned here on the forum when I first signed on - thank goodness. No live plants, just one natural stone specific for aquascaping, and I just got it a few days ago.

The fish seem well and happy, and perhaps I am just being overly cautious, but it is in my nature to worry. I will make something up to fret about if there is nothing readily available. My new hobby has given me a huge selection of concerns to chew on, the first being what's up with my nitrates.

Thanks for the input, I'll just keep an eye on things and hope they continue to be happy, healthy fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Are you still using Stability? It's been stated that Stability may not sustain the cycle the tanks needs to keep your fish alive. This could be why you aren't getting the readings that you should have. See the link below and the responses:

I think I would stop with the Stability and keep your eyes on your readings. (if you haven't already)

Ken

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you Ken. I will do just that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads