Perfect light fixture for plant growth med-high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,

I would like to possibly get into some more medium to higher light plants for a new 55 gallon. Led lights are new to me but I hear many say they are the way to go. So, I was thinking glass top and good aquarium light fixture. Quality is most important to me but I like good deals too. Anyone have examples of what they are using/have used in similar setup? What plants are thriving etc?

Thanks.

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would point you in the direction of Finnex planted plus or maybe a ray 2 depending on which plants your interested in.

OP
K

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah, those have come up recommended allot in the searches Iv been doing. Anyone have pictures of their tanks with these? Just curious.

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could also get one usually used in the marine hobby just don't use blue but the regular white, though that may be overkill and kill low light plants...

Thomas Lin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You aren't going to get high light with just a Planted+. You'll need to have multiple lights, like the addition of the Ray2 above.

OP
K

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks all. Sounds great.

Wow, I love your tank Jswin. Gorgeous, sounds like a good way to go. Thanks for sharing. What all do you have planted in there? If you don't mind me asking.

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Dhg carpet, Madagascar lace, crypt wendii, pogostemon helferi, crypt balansae, dwarf Cardinal plant, Java fern, Java moss, red myrio, water wisteria, rotala, hygro fern, jungle Val that's new and not quite visible yet, a couple types of anubias and ludwigia repens, and ludwigia glandulosa, Amazon frog it, and some duckweed. I think that's it. I'm sure I forgot something though.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Love my planted+ also. Also have the aqueon versa glass lid. Here's a pic of mine... just started live plants myself. This is an older pic with a few fake plants on the right but it's just to show you the light.

light.jpg

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For medium to high, I'd highly recommend Aquaray GroBeam Ultima. Not only is it more energy efficient but you will find plants thrive and your stock are happy. Had Current models before and AquaRay imo is both superior in craftsmanship and technology to most brands in the group (Finnex/Current/Marineland).

Just the fact it's waterproof which none of the others are is a major plus as this is a wet world we dwell into.

OP
K

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really cool! Thanks for sharing with me. I'm getting really anxious to get my new tank up and running now.

I'll definitely look them up Dadio. I will have a glass top but you can never be too safe either (specially with cats around).

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dadio, Current is a pretty good company. They make cheap marine lights also and have more features then most/all other freshwater lights.

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the Ultima Duo on my 55G Ode to Avatar tank. Here's another opinion on my part. That's only 10 leds or 5 per bar where you will not find a blend of colors to achieve daylight, but a pure plant loving light. Other colors in led are only for color enhancement other than maybe red/blue spectrum. Blue, actinic blue in particular has a tendency to aid in algae growth in freshwater tanks upon my findings. I did a 6 month study on the affects of lighting(ramp up times, period lighting and night lighting. I found that once I diffused the blue (meaning behind tank/backdrop) rather than direct to water resulted in next to none on algae. True, both blue and red lights can play an important role especially using led arrays using inferior leds in comparison to AquaRay. If the AquaRay lights are good enough for one of the largest Aquarium centers in the UK, then on that point, their good enough for what many of us want in a natural setting.

I have two careers, one that spanned 30 years (Information Technology) that covered major markets (manufacturing and financials) around the world, the other is 15 years in Phyto-aroma sciences (wellness using the world of naturals).

I base my suggestion on solid factual use and not reviews or shilled marketing tactics as seen in many other forums which I'm happy to say is not the case here on FL. Don't get me wrong, Finnex and the others in this class are great starting points, but for a few dollars more, the performance and peace of mind have my support 100%.

The build quality of these units are first class imo and also have a very strong point, their serviceable, meaning if something goes wrong, parts are available whereas many of the others if a led, just one blows for whatever reason, the whole strip requires replacement.

My current Sat + unit got a drop splash (yes, fish do splash) and was mounted 2 inches from water top in an enclosed custom cedar top. No glass separation, just light to surface and that one splash blew the unit while on warranty and they refused to cover it. Glass affects the lighting imo and thus why I do not use anything between the light/water.

Well guess what, it's a hookie dookie water world, a wet one and for me if a product cannot sustain the humidity or occasional water splash, then for me it's useless and a simple waste of my money. My GroBeams are 2 inches to surface, no glass cover and almost 2 months later not one issue and I check all the time after having lost $$ on Current units twice.

Another very strong point is the warranty, 5 full years on the unit and 2 years on the power supply. That alone shows just how much the company stands behind their product. Yes, it's made in the UK, but that alone beats anything made in china on a mass scale, even if assembled in NA.

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dadio, Current is a pretty good company. They make cheap marine lights also and have more features then most/all other freshwater lights.
If it works for you, then I have nothing to say to that fact. Did it work for me, sure it did until the issues happened. In my case after 2 times and the arrogance of both current and the dealer was more than enough to push me away.

The current unit when it works is ok for low lighting, maybe even some medium lighting needs, but it is nothing in comparison to AquaRay on a multitude of fronts. The gimmicks are just that, gimmicks other than if you make use of the storm mode if required to stimulate breeding. Looks sleek for sure and the gadgets are very likeable by consumers but fail to deliver anything really worth while imo.

I stand strong on my points and will not recommend them due to the hideous support failing to validate warranty because moisture happened. As stated, this is a wet hobby and if products cannot stand up to that part alone, then why as a consumer should I take the risk. Twice burned is enough for me.

OP
K

Kepler452b

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the info and recommendations everyone. I feel I need the glass top. I have jumpers ( fish and cats ha ha ) as well as birds and Id feel much safer with some kind of cover.

I couldn't find any Aquarays to price in the usual places I shop online... is there anywhere in particular you would suggest for a US consumer to shop, compare pricing?

BTW, your ode to avatar tank is amazing!

Dadio

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all the info and recommendations everyone. I feel I need the glass top. I have jumpers ( fish and cats ha ha ) as well as birds and Id feel much safer with some kind of cover.

I couldn't find any Aquarays to price in the usual places I shop online... is there anywhere in particular you would suggest for a US consumer to shop, compare pricing?

BTW, your ode to avatar tank is amazing!
Why thank you

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/AquaRay-AquaGro-GroBeam-600-Ultima-Natural-Daylight-DuoTwin_p_545.html

This is for the duo strips or you can opt for the 1500 depending on your tank needs. You won't find much deals on these units. I purchased mine here http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/418/Aqua+Ray+LED+Lighting+Fixtures.html Not sure if they ship outside of Canada though. If they do, you'd be saving a bit on exchange rates that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom