Peppermint Bn Breeding

Schnauzergal

Hello everyone! I've had these two for about two years now and was wondering if they were males or females? I've read a few articles but it is a bit hard. If anyone knows if these are males or females or have any tips on breeding them please let me know. Thanks.

pics number 1, 2, 4, and 5 are the same fish and the pictures 3 and 6 are the same fish.

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Pic 3 definitely is a female to me but personally think the other one is one as well.

Mcasella

DoubleDutch said:
Pic 3 definitely is a female to me but personally think the other one is one as well.
The other looks to have small bristles on the snout(bridge of nose)?

I think pic3/6 is female, otherwise it would be showing more tentacle growth.

DoubleDutch

Mcasella said:
The other looks to have small bristles on the snout(bridge of nose)?

I think pic3/6 is female, otherwise it would be showing more tentacle growth.
Agree but I thought mainly at the lips
Wouldn't sthose be larger at this age for.a.male?

Mcasella

DoubleDutch said:
Agree but I thought mainly at the lips
Wouldn't sthose be larger at this age for.a.male?
Depends on the line/genes, peppermints normally aren't too impressive for males compared to other ancistrus species. And if they are true peppermints (the ones that get up 8.2") it will take them longer to show mature characteristics, no?

Schnauzergal

Thanks for all your replies, so they seem to be both females? Good to know. I might try and get a male one at some point and try breeding them.

DoubleDutch

Schnauzergal said:
Thanks for all your replies, so they seem to be both females? Good to know. I might try and get a male one at some point and try breeding them.
Number one might be a male.

Schnauzergal

Okay. Are there any other ways I could tell? I didn't find much information from articles or videos. It seems to have a few very small bristles on top of it's nose but the other one does not have any.

DoubleDutch

Schnauzergal said:
Okay. Are there any other ways I could tell? I didn't find much information from articles or videos. It seems to have a few very small bristles on top of it's nose but the other one does not have any.
If they are on top of its nose (the bridge) than it is most likely a male. Also it look a little less "wide" bodyshaped than the other. 100% when you've fertilized eggs hahaha. Does the tank have caves ?

Schnauzergal

Yes, the bristles seem to be on top of it's nose. I will see if I can get a more clear photo, but they are so shy. The tank has a cave, but I have never seen them go in it and they seem to like the big rock in the tank more. I read somewhere that different catfish prefer different cave shapes? This one is a d shape. The other tankmates are more bristlenose (just the normal ones), harlequin rasboras, endlers, and a small clown loach. If this one is indeed a male, do you have any tips on breeding them? Thanks so much for all the help.

Mcasella

Schnauzergal said:
Yes, the bristles seem to be on top of it's nose. I will see if I can get a more clear photo, but they are so shy. The tank has a cave, but I have never seen them go in it and they seem to like the big rock in the tank more. I read somewhere that different catfish prefer different cave shapes? This one is a d shape. The other tankmates are more bristlenose (just the normal ones), harlequin rasboras, endlers, and a small clown loach. If this one is indeed a male, do you have any tips on breeding them? Thanks so much for all the help.
You will want to separate them from the other bristlenose and try a couple different cave shapes, males prefer something they can trap a female in but also defend. Some of my bn males have preferred a small entrance cave with a wide interior, some have preferred true pleco caves or terracotta watering spikes, some have even just been like "this is my driftwood hole". Feed well and do cool water changes, once the male has a cave he likes the female will come to him.

Schnauzergal

I have another tank I could move them too, I would just have to fix a broken pump first. It is about 90ltrs. Should I get a few more caves, and put the peppermints and the caves in there until he finds one he likes? Are there any foods I should try? I have been feeding them veggie wafers, cucumber and sometimes green beans or broccoli. I have also been breeding some endlers, could I try breeding endlers and Peppermint Bristlenose in the same tank? The tank has a filter that could maybe suck baby fish in, should I change it to a different one or can I cover it with something so that does not happen? Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!

Mcasella

Schnauzergal said:
I have another tank I could move them too, I would just have to fix a broken pump first. It is about 90ltrs. Should I get a few more caves, and put the peppermints and the caves in there until he finds one he likes? Are there any foods I should try? I have been feeding them veggie wafers, cucumber and sometimes green beans or broccoli. I have also been breeding some endlers, could I try breeding endlers and Peppermint Bristlenose in the same tank? The tank has a filter that could maybe suck baby fish in, should I change it to a different one or can I cover it with something so that does not happen? Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!
I would add a little meatier foods or something like repashy to their diet to help produce eggs in the female and get them thinking there is enough food to spawn.

Schnauzergal

I think I saw some repashy at my local fish store, I will take a look and post an update once I have fixed the other tank and move the Peppermints in. Thanks for all your help!

Schnauzergal

My wonderful Mom managed to get a good picture of the peppermint bn we think might be a male! I coudn't find repashy so I am feeding another gel food. So do you all still think its a male?PHOTO-2020-10-15-19-52-45.jpg

Mcasella

If it has an bristles going up the middle of its face it is male, females will only get them around the lip) peppermints are known to grow bristles on both sexes so just around the lip doesn't guarantee male, up the snout is male.

Schnauzergal

Yeah, the bristles are more on the face than the nose. I have another one that has bristles only around it's mouth so I am assuming I have a male and a female.

Top Bottom