Peppered cory with lump Question

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

My new cory is still in qt 2 days ago during wc i noticed a lump on her side . The lump initialy looked red on the bottom but now it looks normal color but looks bumpy its only on the left side . The tank is 7.5 g with sand and plastic plants i only have test strips and no color chart but acording to the chart i found online the levels look ok. Im not sure if its male or female but her fins look rounder then my other cory so could be be egg bound ? Do they get egg bound even if theres no male in the tank with her? I planed to move her and the guppy out of qt satrday but down want.to now. These are the best pics i could get she was.kind of freaked out to be in a plastic container.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

There are something going terribly wrong here I am afraid. Peppered Corys should be kept in a group of 6+ individuals, kept in a far bigger tank than a 7,5 gallon.
    The fish looks rather thin and isn't well fed. I even think it's an algae-syndrom-victim being on a wrong diet. Because of that they get vunerable for all kind of infections (red = often bacterial). This is a poc what it should look like. Females get enormous !! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406834420.114466.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406834443.004218.jpg

I am keeping a herd of 9 in a 50 gallon !!
    And even thinking about to get some more.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with DD, I don't think it looks very good & probably won't make it, you could try an antibiotic med for it, I don't think melafix would help in this case
    Were you going to put it in the 10 gallon when out of Qt? That really isn't big enough for a group of corys

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Well thank you for half reading the post and then not helping i guess ?
    This fish gets 4 shrimp pellets a day and blood worms 3 days a week she is not under feed i have seen her eat. If you had actually read the post you would have seen that its a quarantine tank my main tank is 29 g and is currently housing a second cory that I got second hand from someone who kept him in a 10 gal community tank with tetras. Since I cant just dump 6 corys in the tank at once and my qt space only allows for 1 at a time im stocking them 1 at a time . Again the spot isnt red any more it was only red at first and not even red more pink. Now if someone would like to actually answer the question with out assuming im some uninformed moron that would be great
    cora I just saw your comment it didn't show up on my phone shes just a baby I only got her not even 2 weeks ago and shes about an inch or inch and a half long I cant imagine its all that bad she doesn't look skinny in person .

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Apologies, your Op doesn't mention the 29gallon, neither does your profile & I did say I knew it was in qt.
    I did suggest an antibiotic but not being in your country I don't know what's available there, if the lump is no longer red but turning pink maybe melafix would help after all.

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Im sorry my frustration was not directed at you I tend to get extremely defensive when im basicly called an idiot who doesn't know what they are doing .If I was interested in spending money to kill fish I wouldn't be on the forum id be fishing on a party boat. As for meds im wary of dosing the tank with meds when i dont know what the lump is and when there is a perfectly healthy guppy in the tank also waiting out querenteen. It is not an open wound just like an internal lump like a cyst the fish swims well and eats well its digging around in the sand while im typing

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Huh, i've reread your post but even then I don't read that info. I also don't meand to say that your feeding it the wrong way but many Corys are on a wrong diet in the LFS (and that was what I meand). If it is eating now that can solve part of the problem. I really think it is rather thin / underfed. That can cause this but also could be caused by the infection. Sorry if I offended you, that certainly wasn't meand to be.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Think I didn't realise it was a young Cory. They aren't as chubby as adults offcourse.
    The info on which I should have given a anoter reaction I still don't tead from the first post. But okay : good food and Melafix could indeed solbe the problem. Succes !!

9. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Thank you im sorry my first post wasnt clear enough

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app