Peppered Cory problem

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Chlo1234956, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Chlo1234956

Chlo1234956New MemberMember

I got two peppered Cory three weeks ago to go in the tank with our male betta. Everything was fine for about a week and one day I came downstairs to find one of them on their side. He looked like he was dead but when I looked properly he was breathing! Since then he moves around slightly but lies on his side and can't get back up. Tonight my partner used a net to gently turn him back on his front and we noticed that his fin on his left side (is that what you call them?!) is at an odd angle and doesn't move. As far as we know the betta hasn't attacked him and the other Cory is absolutely fine. We moved him into our hatchery but aren't sure what to do as he cant get himself up to eat properly. Does anyone have any advice on what we should do? Should we leave him in the hatchery and see if he gets any better when he's separated from the other two fish? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467756383.540693.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467756395.045384.jpg

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Oh no, I'm sorry about your cory. He really doesn't look good and I'm not sure if he's going to make it. If you don't have another tank, I would just leave him in the breeder box. Pristine water conditions are what he'll need right now. You can put in a couple of frozen bloodworms or a shrimp pellet to see if he'll eat.

What are your water parameters? What size tank is he in and what temp do you keep it at? Unfortunately, peppered corys will not make good tankmates for your betta as they require the temp below 72 while your betta needs it at 78 min. They're also shoaling fish and need to be in a group of at least 6+ of their own species. If you can't set up at least a 20g tank for them, I would look to rehome the two you have.

3. OP
    OP
    Chlo1234956

Chlo1234956New MemberMember

Thank you, he didn't get any better and couldn't get up to eat anything so unfortunately died a few days later.

We thought it could have been an ammonia spike so purchased some test strips and it was 0! All other parameters were within the safe zone (I can't remember specifics a week later!) except the hardness of our water. We have very hard water where we are but everytime we mention it at our LFS they say that GH isn't 'anything to worry about'.

In fact I am a bit annoyed because before you are allowed to buy any fish at this store you have to tell them what size tank you have and what other fish are in it. It is only a 22L tank and as we don't have much knowledge on bottom feeders we trusted that they would know whether it was okay to have two corys in there. Obviously not! We aren't allowed to take the other one back either as they don't have quarantine tanks so we have to travel for an hour to get to the nearest fish store that will take him from us. Definitely thinking of changing to that shop as they seem to know a lot more about fish even though it's quite far away.

Thank you for your advice anyway!

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry for your loss. :( Unfortunately, a lot of fish stores don't have the most knowledgable people working there so it may or may not have been intentional that they didn't give you the best advice on stocking.

Test strips are very inaccurate and are actually more expensive than the liquid test kits. I'd invest in the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. You get over 800 tests even though the upfront cost might be more. Plus, it's a LOT more accurate.

GH can be important as this would measure the mineral content in your water which is essential for all fish. The master kit wouldn't include the KH (also important) and GH tests. The liquid kit for those are sold separately by API but your test strips might provide a general idea of whether or not they're at good levels. Can you provide those numbers?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice