Peppered Cory Fry Research

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Little Tank of Happiness, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Hello

I currently have 2 peppered cories (I'm aware, I am getting more soon) and I have concluded there is 1 female and 1 male. They are in separable; since the day I brought them home, they always sleep in the same spot together, swim together, and share pellets together. It looks like they've grown to their full size and I wonder if I am anywhere close to mating or breeding. If so, I want to be prepared, because who knows what they will do! I read a few articles on planet catfish about how to hatch and raise the fry but it all seems too overwhelming.

Some basics I know & what I need to know:
    - Temp of 70 needed (I have about 74)
    - PH of 6-7 (does that matter?)
    - Peppers mostly lay eggs on glass. Their favorite spots and the back corner and the front corner of the tank. I'd prefer for them to do the back corner because there is a lessened chance of my tetras eating them
    - Get eggs off the glass with a razor blade and put eggs in a container with air stone. I have no back up tank for breeding and putting an air stone in a container sounds difficult. How would you do that?
    - Fry hatch in 3 - 5 days
    - Don't feed fry for the first few days
    - Fertilized eggs will be a light tan and non fertilized are white
    - How many fry are laid by paleatus? Anyone know?
    - Has anyone done paleatus (or just Cory in general) breeding? How good of a job do they do? Did you sccessfully raise the fry? Is it difficult? I'd like to at least give the buggers a chance at life and to grow out.

Background on me:
    - My parents kept a fish tank when I was 4 for 12 years; as far as I know we kept the following: aenus corys, bleeding heart tetras, zebra danios, long fin danios, flame tetras, lamp eye tetras, cherry barbs, mickey mouse platys, and some more (not all at once).
    - They raised some platy fry in a 5 gal (that tank was sold when we moved) but eventually they died off due to inexperience. Can't blame them there as it came totally unexpected.
    - We started back a fish tank since January we've had tons of problems but we are in the progress of working it out
    - Right now we have peppered cories, neons, and panda cories. Planning to get a dwarf or honey gourami and switching some of these fish to a tank currently cycling

Wow that's a lot! Thank you if you read it all!

LT

2. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Are you sure they're male and female? They are probably together all the time to feel secure since there are only two of them and naturally because they are shoaling fish. Females are broader- bodied and males are more streamlined. I believe you can tell by looking at them from the top.

As for the other questions, this thread should help:

Raising cory fry

3. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Yes it was confirmed on the forum. Thanks for the article.

4. ElkeNew MemberMember

Hi,
    This is my first time on here,hope I'm in the right place.
    I have had 5 peppered corys hatch they are a week old and going strong,just would like to know if they would be alright in a net floating in my aquaruim when they get bigger

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice