Pepper corys

1. SuzanaBanana Member Member

May seem like a dumb question... But is it normal for them to also swim by the surface or middle of tank?

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah they can swim up too they're not just restrained to the bottom, that's just where they tend to sift through the substrate.

3. CowBoYReX Well Known Member Member

Some what, the only time to really worry is if they don't ever sit down on the bottom, granted that's as long as your water parameters are good

4. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Ok, they do chill on the bottom but also spend time just swimming around and going up the wall, just nervous, never had corys before

5. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I want them!! They're so cute. Unfortunately my tank isn't big enough for them. Next tank I get though they have a sure spot in. And they will swim all over the place, very adventurous fish, but they also chill and sift on ground.

6. SuzanaBanana Member Member

What kind you thinking of getting?

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I really like the peppered cories. Hopefully my next tank will be a 20-30 gallon but that won't be for a while probably. That tank will be specifically for more schooling fish since I already have Betta and inverts in my current tank.

8. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Ya i saw white ones, but idk theyre just not my thing lol

9. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah the albinos. Not my style either. REALLY like the pattern on the peppers. How many do you have?

10. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Are they glass surfing? Because that could be an issue..
    How many do you have?

11. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I have 3, they were a little family in the pet store tank

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

If your tank allows for it, you may wanna pick up 3 more. They'll feel more comfortable that way.

13. SuzanaBanana Member Member

What does that mean?

They do sometimes go along the glass but also throughout the middle, but not excessively in my opinion

Ya honestly even though the albino corys arent my favorite, i might pick up 3 of those.

I have 3 tiger barbs and 3 albino tiger barbs. The mix makes a cute little group

14. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Yeah you have schooling/shoaling fish that need to be in 6+. Fill out their groups and they'll be more comfortable and youll see more natural behaviors.
    I would bet they're just stressed about not having a proper size group.
    Make sure to get 3 or more of the same species

15. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Ya i like the mix of color variances in species, like i have 2 skirt tetras and 2 white skirt tetras that have been a lil group for 4 years now, and the different color tb.

I'll probably go back tomorrow to get the other corys

16. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

What size tank are all these in?

17. SuzanaBanana Member Member

18. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You might wanna choose more peppers, or look more into their habits. I've heard that sometimes different variants won't school together, defeating the purpose of having a group of 6 if they stay apart from eachother.

19. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Wow i never considered that, i guess just cuz ive had luck so far, then ya i'll probably get peppered

20. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Yes, as I said before, yoy want the same species.
    And with a 210 (wow, btw! Totally jealous) you could get a lot in there. That would be a very active entertaining group.
    The larger the group, the better